PDA

View Full Version : PS2 emulation on PSP

mfz64
July 9th, 2007, 21:50
I was wondering if it was even possible that the PSP could emulate the PS2. At first i thought that there was no way....but now, since i've owned more and more games for the psp, some games have identical or at least near, PS2 graphics.......e.g. Tekken: Dark Ressurection. So, with the graphics that i saw from that game, i think it would be possible that the PSP can emulate the PS2....don't you?

Waqs
July 9th, 2007, 21:53
no its not possible.

baggytheo
July 9th, 2007, 21:55
Emulation takes a lot of overhead.

There are still tons of PS1 and even SNES titles that we can't get running at decent fps.

You will not see any PS2 emulation for this model of the PSP, and likely not for the redesign either.

JKKDARK
July 9th, 2007, 22:12
No, it's impossible. A console/handheld cannot emulate another one with similar hardware.

cataphrax
July 9th, 2007, 23:54
No matter how close the graphics are to each other, yeah an emulator would be impossible. However, you could port games from ps2 to psp, however youd have to have legal source code and tone down the graphics and the project itself would probably only be undertakable by a development team from some company with more resources then the psp homebrew scene.

acn010
July 10th, 2007, 00:20
besides the games are like 4 gigs to 5,6 bla bla... you think you can play such games?

VampDude
July 10th, 2007, 00:28
One small yet BIG word...

NO!

...It isn't possible, the PSP can only just about handle 32BIT emulation of the PSone. It would never handle games from a 128BIT games console, asking about PS2 is just like people asking for Dreamcast (also a 128BIT machine) on PSP

parkermauney
July 10th, 2007, 00:42
There are so many threads asking the same thing.

cataphrax
July 11th, 2007, 06:59
Would it be possible to emulate it but just reallly slow and badly?

parkermauney
July 11th, 2007, 07:03
Probably wouldn't be able to get past the menus even if it was possible.

HAMMIEZ
July 12th, 2007, 01:47
You would be lucky to see a ported game, let alone an emulator.

robotdevil
July 13th, 2007, 03:31
Graphics only look similar, considering the PSP puts out just over half the resolution that the PS2 does there is no way they are similar. That being said, no emulation of the PS2 is simply impossible, even if you can get the code to run natively on the hardware (i.e. without overhead). Simply put, PS2 is 128bit@300Mhz while the PSP is 32bit@333Mhz. To break down 128bit instruction and shove it through a 32bit pipe you would need to make 4 cycles to equal the amount of code processed (not really as it is actually MUCH higher due to the size of the numbers you can process on 128bit, but this will work to show you the basics) add 2 cycles to break down and reassemble the data and given the almost identical clock speeds you couldn't even match the CPU, let alone the GPU and sound processors. Even a 64bit system is proving to be a bit much (although Deadalus is coming long nicely). If it wasn't for Sony the PS1 emu would suck too, emulation is a bitch on any system.

parkermauney
July 13th, 2007, 05:04
Most good games are ported anyways.

Exophase
July 13th, 2007, 08:43
Would it be possible to emulate it but just reallly slow and badly?

Nope. PS2 has more useable RAM and VRAM than PSP. You could swap it in and out to memstick but all those writes would probably end up killing the poor thing a lot quicker.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 14th, 2007, 19:54
that would be so cool if this was to ever happen with the psp slim!

JKKDARK
July 14th, 2007, 19:59
that would be so cool if this was to ever happen with the psp slim!

The new model will use the same hardware specs

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 14th, 2007, 21:24
yes but it has double the ram
100th POST!!!

Safari Al
July 15th, 2007, 01:07
It will NEVER happen.

pun1sh3r
July 15th, 2007, 17:30
I was wondering if it was even possible that the PSP could emulate the PS2. At first i thought that there was no way....but now, since i've owned more and more games for the psp, some games have identical or at least near, PS2 graphics.......e.g. Tekken: Dark Ressurection. So, with the graphics that i saw from that game, i think it would be possible that the PSP can emulate the PS2....don't you?

How would that be possible...N64 is just close to full speed pushing the PSP to the limit. PS2 can't even emulate well on PCs.