PDA

View Full Version : Doom DS add-ons and wads.

Cybeat
July 11th, 2007, 04:17
I got Doom ds working. I always solve things myself. Anyway, how and what kind of wads can I add on to make Doom a bit more.....good? Know any good site for fan made wads and stuff?

firedemon727
July 11th, 2007, 05:52
I know that somebody got Chex Quest to work on Doom DS but, I do not know if any other fan made Doom mods work on it.

XDelusion
July 11th, 2007, 17:15
It looks like it can load external files, but I've not taken time to play around with that, but yet is it based upon PrBOOM, though I think an older code source, none the less it should be compatable with most BOOM features, and therefore work with most MODS so long as they do not press the memory limit of the DS with extra sounds, graphics, and the like.

One option would be to experiment with merging Iwads into the FreeDOOM pwad and see if you can get things running that way.

XDelusion
July 11th, 2007, 20:02
Ok, I was messing around ALL day, merging pWads into the iWads with no results.

I can get my merged wads to play fine in gzDOOM, but when ever I rename them to doom.wad and try them out in DSDOOM, it acts like it's going to load, then freezes.

I really wish I knew how Chex managed to merge there new sprites and textures into the DOOM.WAD without screwing it up.

Also DSDOOM does not have virtual keyboard support so we can not load pwads via in game menu.

On the upside FreeDOOM does infact seem to work. It seems to lag here and there, but it works great!

EDIT:

I was just playing around with DOOM Builder and FreeDOOM.

What I did was download the FreeDOOM Demo iWAD.

I set DOOM Builder to use that (doom1.wad) as the main DOOM2.WAD file.

I then loaded up doom1.wad as a project, erased the 1st map, then mapped my own little demo. Saved the file, loaded up my DS, and it worked!

Cybeat
July 11th, 2007, 22:32
It sounds complicated....can you tell me how?

XDelusion
July 11th, 2007, 23:14
http://www.doombuilder.com/builder_download.php

I used this.

Now as far as replacing gfx goes...

...every time I try this DOOM stops booting, just the same as wad merging, so all we have so far is the ability to create new maps.

EDIT: It seems that DSDOOM does not accept ANY iWAD that has been altered using XWE. So I have began experimenting with Wintex's JOIN feature, and so far I am having no problems adding in replacement sprites, though the process is SLOW!

So now I have a self created demo level with a few original textures. Next I'm off to see if I can get new sprites, flats, sounds, musick, and Dehacked files, and I should be good to go.

From looking at Chex Quest, I can see a DEHACKED.DEH file is merged into that, so if all is well, we may have a decent First Person developement arena after all! It's just a shame that you can't really use the touch screen to control the DOOM guy. Aiming is such a pain with that directional pad. Oh well...

XDelusion
July 12th, 2007, 02:34
Got replacement sprites working...

Cybeat
July 12th, 2007, 03:05
So with a builder, the original doom.wads will be playable to doom ds? Earlier, I downloaded a
doom2.wad called The Bringer of Doom. Didn't work. Is there a limit to megabytes?

XDelusion
July 12th, 2007, 08:55
No DOOm Builder is a level editor for classic DOOM as well as Enhanced DOOM source ports.

Basically what I am saying is that either the DS' resources are really touchy, or the executable is touchy, or both, as it seems like one false move, and any sort of modification to the master WAD will lock up the DS, hence making it hard to use simply programs to quickly merge map WAD files into the main WAD for play on the DS.

On the other hand if you have the patience, you can use tools such as Wintex and DeuTex, you should be able to merge a pWAD into the iWAD and get things working.

Or if you are familiar with DOOM editing, or desire to get into it, it looks like it should not be too much trouble to build upon a base iWAD from the FreeDOOM project, and create your own game...

...for which a new topic needs to be started.

Cybeat
July 12th, 2007, 09:35
I was thinking about merging pwads and iwads. Just by looking at your post, it seems merging them and playing off DS isn't easy. One thing before I start merging. Doom DS can play full Doom games, right? I can't get them to work.

XDelusion
July 12th, 2007, 11:34
If you have any luck merging and getting the merged iWAD to work, PLEASE clue me in to how you successfully pulled it off.

As for DsDOOM, yes it does indeed play full versions of the game...

...assuming it does not lock up before you reached the end of the game that is. :)

Time to goto bed, I've been tinkering with this all day. I'll post about my Star Wars DS progress tomarrow.

Cybeat
July 12th, 2007, 18:18
Alright. Let me know if you got Star Wars, GoldenEye, and CounterStrike working on your DS.

XDelusion
July 12th, 2007, 20:05
...I'm currently working on a DS Specific Star Wars project actually...

...your questions, led me to exploration, which led to discovery, which compelled me to do something with my new found knowledge of how DSDOOM works. ;)

http://starwarslegacy.net/StarWarsDS.aspx

I'll upload a demo as soon as I have a little somethign to look at.

::Xraxa, plz:.
July 12th, 2007, 20:16
...I'm currently working on a DS Specific Star Wars project actually...

...your questions, led me to exploration, which led to discovery, which compelled me to do something with my new found knowledge of how DSDOOM works. ;)

http://starwarslegacy.net/StarWarsDS.aspx

I'll upload a demo as soon as I have a little somethign to look at.

Could you post some screenshots of your progress, please?

XDelusion
July 12th, 2007, 20:50
That's what I'm looking for right now is a DS Emulator that can play DSDOOM and record little videos or something.

Cybeat
July 12th, 2007, 22:19
I did it. I merged pwad into iwad....I think. I went to a site filled with W.I.P wads.

XDelusion
July 12th, 2007, 23:18
Feel free to share the new iWAD(s) that you have maded as well as tips as to how you pulled it off without locking up DSDOOM.

BTW so far I've had a 25mb iWAD and DSDOOM still ran it fine. I've also managed to import the old but awsome Death Star map from DOOM1 and get it to load and run on the DS, so I think I'll do what I always wanted to do and take that map and add to it, so don't be surprised if a particular level in Star Wars DS looks semi-familiar. ;)

Cybeat
July 13th, 2007, 05:12
Do you know what Freedoom is? I downloaded that and put all sorts on stuff in it. Dumb thing it, it's second level never starts. Try Freedoom for a bit. Let me know if the second level works, if you are gonna try it.

XDelusion
July 13th, 2007, 08:14
Yes, I use FreeDOOM all the time. I've not played past stage 1 on the DS, ever since it first booted up, I began working on trying to merge wads into it, and working on the Star Wars project.

I'll have to give it a go later and see if it locks on me. I'd assume it may have to do with resources?

Speaking of which, I hope there is a way the author can take advantage of my 3in1's extra memory for use with DOOM.

XDelusion
July 13th, 2007, 10:50
I did it, I have successfully merged a pWAD (Quake DOOM & Strain) into an iWAD DOOM2 (FreeDOOM version).

http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/files/DS/iWADS/

----------------

What I have done is taken the FreeDOOM main iWAD, and merged the Quake pWAD into it using
Patcher and Wintex.

http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/

http://home.pacbell.net/jflynn/patcher.zip

http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/files/wintex50.zip

==============

If you would like to do this on your own, you would download Patcher, FreeDOOM, QuakeDOOM, and
extract them all to the same directory.

You would then goto command line and enter the folder that you dumped all the above into.

From here you'll type:

patcher dif qkedoom.wad doom2.wad Quakedif.wad

What this will is create a new copy of the Quake DOOM pWAD that has all duplicate resources that
are already in the DOOM2 iWAD removed.

What you will do next is run Wintex, and in top box you will select the Quakedif.wad, and in the
lower box you will select the DOOM2.wad. You will then hit the JOIN button on the right after
which your DOOM2.WAD file should now be larger.

From here you can rename DOOM2.WAD to doom.wad and pop it into your DS for use with DSDOOM!

XDelusion

Cybeat
July 13th, 2007, 21:51
Another great work. I would show off my work too, if I knew how to.