PDA

View Full Version : UMD drive starting when no UMD is in the slot.

jamotto
July 13th, 2007, 05:52
Ok, I have a psp (TA-082) that has had the following OFW versions 2.80,3.03 and now 3.50. My problem started when I upgraded from 3.03 to 3.50.

The issue is that whenever there is no UMD in the slot, at some random time could be after a few seconds or it could be hours later, the drive will startup and proceed to run the laser up and down the slide rail, when it reaches what would be the start of the UMD it clicks about a half a dozen times and the whole process starts over again. It will continue doing this until I insert a UMD, it then stops.

UMD drive works, it will play every game or movie UMD I put in it, and as long as I have a UMD in the drive the above mentioned problem never occurs. I've googled this for at least a week now with no luck at finding a reason as to why it occurs or a possible solution to fix it.

I've already tried the Restore Default Settings with no luck. I don't think the disc detector switch is going bad, as that should turn the laser on, which is not the case here.

So if anyone here has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance

cataphrax
July 13th, 2007, 06:45
Hmmmm, I'm completely unsure except that you could just keep a disc in it at all times.

jamotto
July 13th, 2007, 15:29
Yep, that's what I have been doing so far, I was just looking for a different solution, perhaps one that wasn't as much as a bubble gum fix as this.

Could be just a bad firmware update I suppose.

pt9087
July 13th, 2007, 16:16
Open your UMD drive... there are two silver screws... make sure they are tight to the PSP.

Xiofire
July 13th, 2007, 16:33
If you look inside the PSP's UMD Slot without a UMD In it, you should see a tiny piece of black plastic sticking out. This is the laser activation swith, and if held in, will do what yew have described. See if that black plastic is stuck, and if so, "unstick" it. All i can suggest.
-Xiofire

EDIT: My bad, just read your comment about the laser switch. No idea then, Id suggest what pt9087 said.

jamotto
July 15th, 2007, 07:12
Open your UMD drive... there are two silver screws... make sure they are tight to the PSP.

I checked them and they were good and tight.

xg917
July 15th, 2007, 07:21
when did you start noticing this problem? edit: sorry i didnt read the first post that well. um.. well yea my suggestion is the only suggestion i have since everyone else told you what i was going to say

maybe downgrading will fix the problem?

jamotto
July 15th, 2007, 18:00
maybe downgrading will fix the problem?

I removed the UMD and tried the downgrade, doesn't seem to help unfortunately. Oddly enough the drive had the same issue during the entire duration of the downgrade, I figured that it might stop during the downgrade, but that was not the case.