PDA

View Full Version : Japanese PSP back to 1.0

TAPION
June 17th, 2005, 21:51
Can you reset a Japanese PSP back to version 1.0, it was already version 1.5 out of the box?

xuphorz
June 17th, 2005, 21:55
if it came out of the box a 1.5, then there is no way, the actual motherboard is wired differently than the 1.0

but you can still do homebrew on 1.5, try it out, just don't upgrade to 1.51 or 1.52

TAPION
June 17th, 2005, 21:57
Ok, the Snesx9 emulator thing is running on the PSP. I have a commercial game but it is a .SMC file. How do I convert this into a SMD file and also which file on the memory stick do I place the commercial game? Thanx

<No talk of warez>

xuphorz
June 17th, 2005, 22:02
Ok, the Snesx9 emulator thing is running on the PSP. I have a ROm of chrono trigger but it is a .SMC file. How do I convert this into a SMD file and also which file on the memory stick do I place the ROm? Thanx
you very badly messed something up
SNES roms are supposed to be .SMC, so leave it alone
with most recent version of snes9x and uo snes9x, put all roms, any name, in the same folder that data.psp renamed to eboot.pbp is in

if it's an older version, rename only one rom to ROM.SMC, and delete all files except ROM.SMC and data.psp renamed to EBOOT.PBP

it's kinda complicated, and i have a 1.0 psp, but if want more help, feel free to pm me

TAPION
June 17th, 2005, 22:06
What the ****s all this EBOOT? I have a file in the GAME file it is called EBOOT.PBP, so do I put the ROM in this file as well? ROOT= E:PSP/GAME/CT/EBOOT.PBP CT is just the name of another folder.

xuphorz
June 17th, 2005, 22:09
What the ****s all this EBOOT? I have a file in the GAME file it is called EBOOT.PBP, so do I put the ROM in this file as well? ROOT= E:PSP/GAME/CT/EBOOT.PBP CT is just the name of another folder.

hmm, it's too hard to explain, here's a tutorial link:
REMOVED, too confusing
use METHOD B
method A will NOT work for snes9x, i've been told

EDIT: I just found amuch better tutorial
http://www.psphacker.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6328#post6328

Amiga
June 17th, 2005, 22:12
You should have a root like this *:PSP/GAME/SNES/EBOOT.PBP AND THE SNES GAME YOU WANT TO USE RENAMED TO ROM.SMC

*=THE LETTER OF THE DRIVE ON YOUR PC.

TAPION
June 17th, 2005, 22:16
What do you mean by rename the ROM to ROM.SMC, so do i delete the name of the ROM and rename it to ROM.SMC?

xuphorz
June 17th, 2005, 22:21
What do you mean by rename the ROM to ROM.SMC, so do i delete the name of the ROM and rename it to ROM.SMC?

yeah, right click it, select rename, type in ROM.SMC

TAPION
June 17th, 2005, 22:26
this might seem a stupid question, but how do you switch the PSP of, i have a japanese manual you see :)

Laguna
June 17th, 2005, 23:02
some1 at psp-hacks.com posted this

Just saw this article on engadget

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000397047039/

Quote:
Japanese PSP firmware dumper drops you back to v1.0

Posted Jun 17, 2005, 4:30 AM ET by Ryan Block
Related entries: Gaming

PSP default small

So apparently now there’s a Japanese tool out there called FirmwareDumper (we’ll save the peurile jokes) that will reverse your PSP’s firmware from 1.50 back to 1.0—man, they’re really kicking butt and taking names.

It has this link to a japanese site which has the program for download.

Shortened Linky. Uses Google Translator. (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurs.or.jp%2F%7Ecalci um%2Fwearable%2Findex.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

Anyone willing to give this baby a try???

this works only on japanese psps.

shizzle
June 18th, 2005, 09:36
Some people really haven't a clue do they?
Do you know what dumping actually is, or do you just assume when looking at the name of the file it does what you think. This DUMPS the firmware of the psp onto you memory stick so you can view it, NOT the other way round. Don't make stupid comments. Again it doesn't say it only works on jap psps. And xuphorz what are you talking about, eboot.php has been compiled with different things in it. And taipon there is no need to swear because you are a n00b confusled.

Why don't you look this up because this question has been asked since the begining of the 1.5 realease.

Mikaa
June 18th, 2005, 16:18
When it comes to programming emulators, figuring out firmwares, and deciphering badly written instructions, I AM a n00b. However, one must wonder if it would be possible to reverse engineer a 1.5# firmware upgrade with information to reduce the firmware to 1.0. Even if I could not play some games, it would be worth it to play SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, and NGPC on the go all in one system...

shizzle
June 18th, 2005, 18:48
I like this mikaa guy, even though you are newbie, i wouldn't call you a n00b because your asking the right questions, not the wrong ones. If only all the new commers were more like you.

nexis2600
June 18th, 2005, 19:51
There is no way to reflash the unit to 1.0. The posted tool is a dumper. It dumps the bios contents into the mem stick but there are many things in protective memory that can't be read just yet. Some of this has been starting to be ripped but this tool still can not access thies areas.

I also have talked to someone who tried taking a full 1.0 bios ripp and flash a 1.5 to 1.0. It failed and now he has a paper weight.

shizzle
June 18th, 2005, 19:56
A lot of people did this, so laguna i would beware of that tool. Nexis2600 btw, did you ever get round to a quake emulator?

xuphorz
June 18th, 2005, 20:36
And xuphorz what are you talking about, eboot.php has been compiled with different things in it.
by default yes, but for 1.5 user, you must rename the DATA.PSP inside of a EBOOT.PBP to EBOOT.PBP. don't ask me, that's what i read :)

shizzle
June 18th, 2005, 20:41
no it stays as data.psp lol

xuphorz
June 18th, 2005, 20:51
no it stays as data.psp lol

maybe i should just not mess with 1.5, leave that to plp that actually have them :D

Mikaa
June 18th, 2005, 20:56
I like this mikaa guy, even though you are newbie, i wouldn't call you a n00b because your asking the right questions, not the wrong ones. If only all the new commers were more like you.

Thanks for the compliment. Nice to know that I'm not being ignored like so many other forums I have visited.

That being said, I have formed a personal theory on how you MIGHT (remember, just a theory and not real) downgrade a PSP to 1.0:

1. Take a firmware upgrade program and examine every line of code.
2. Take a genuine 1.0 PSP and its firmware and learn all of the interactions between them.
3. Once step two is completed, determine if it is possible to rework the firmware program to install (revert) to 1.0

Again, this is just what I think, and having little experiance with programming, I doubt it would be able to be done, nevermind how difficult it would end up being. And on top of it, with my luck, by the time this process becomes feasable, the 1.5/1.51/1.52/(#+X).(#+Y)(#+Z) firmware would be hacked and full emulators would be running on them.

Alas, time is cruel.

shizzle
June 18th, 2005, 22:05
probably would have been. But seriously if you want to get into the coding scene go to the ps2 forums theats where all the action is.

Mikaa
June 19th, 2005, 15:20
Perhaps.

Thanks.

Spark
June 19th, 2005, 16:14
The reason why nobody has been able to do this yet is because dumping tools like the one above can only get to certain parts of the fw and not all of it, and the latter group unfortunately includes the important bootstrap information which would be required for a re-flash.

It's something that may be possible in the future, as these tools develop, but it certainly isn't right now.

shizzle
June 19th, 2005, 20:56
nearly all flashes have resulted in bricks...

Mikaa
June 20th, 2005, 13:55
Spark does have a point. But out of curiosity, what is "bricks?"

shizzle
June 20th, 2005, 17:35
dead psps...

Mikaa
June 20th, 2005, 17:41
By dead, I assume you mean completely useless PSPs. And if THAT is the case, yeesh.