PDA

View Full Version : Sony begins court proceedings against UK PSP importers

wraggster
June 17th, 2005, 23:23
As independent retailers across the UK continue to defy Cease and Desist orders issued by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe over the sale of import PSP consoles, the Japanese giant has begun court proceedings.

GamesIndustry.biz has obtained a copy of the legal document put together by Sony's lawyers, which refers to the trade marks 'PS', 'PLAYSTATION' and the controller symbols.

The document alleges that: "The defendant has infringed each of the claimant's said trade marks by using, without the consent of the claimants, in the course of trade in the United Kingdom, signs identical to the said trade marks."

"By reason of the aforesaid, the claimants have suffered loss and damage."

The document goes on to request an inquiry into damages payable and the confiscation of goods and materials. It also demands the names and addresses of both those who supplied the stock and those who purchased PSPs from the retailer.

In addition, Sony has informed retailers that its lawyers are preparing an application for an interim injunction to stop the sale of import PSPs in the run-up to the console's European launch, scheduled for September 1. It has offered to cancel the application if retailers agree to cease trading.

It's not yet known how many retailers will back down in the face of Sony's latest legal moves. However Dan Morelle, MD of online retailer ElectricBirdLand, who has previously taken a strong stance against Sony, has already announced his intention to defend EBL's actions in court.

No date for the case has yet been set.

leggy
June 18th, 2005, 18:17
Why on earth are Sony being so petty about this?

They are acting like complete idiots!!

Eric
June 18th, 2005, 18:35
Well Sony is greedy and i have also mentioned in the past cause i worked for a electronic store that Sony will never make equipment like they used to. I remember the first time LCD Rear Projection came out we had so many returns cause of the lamps and it came to that they had to install some software so the lamp didnt blow. Sony brings things out to fast before even checking what they have made has alot of bugs and could burst into flames or just die out. Sony isnt up to par as they were in the past.

Eric

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 13:35
GIVE THE BRITS thier PSP already! Is it a legal problem with the symbols that are giving them problems? I still dont understand what going on over at UK. Dont think they love gaming over there... I remeber something similar happend with the Xbox or might have been Dreamcast.