PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of an internet DS to PC file transfer program?

chemical
July 17th, 2007, 00:12
Hey,

well I'm not looking for something capable of transfering 2GB's on the fly :p , I'm fine with removing my MicroSD and sticking it in my PC to transfer files, but little things buy me like when using art programs, if I save a file I have to keep taking the m3 out and all to look at the art on my PC, its quite annoying.

So my question is, does anyone know of any programs to transfer files here and there to your own pc and possibly from pc to ds wirelessly?

Thanks

DanTheManMS
July 17th, 2007, 00:33
There's DSFTP, though it uses the older gba_nds_fat system, which is a bit buggier than libfat (for instance, don't delete files from within DSFTP to prevent corruption). There's also this Lilou FTP program thingy that I got working, but even though it uses libfat I'm suspecting it of being the root cause of my recent card corruption.

I'd suggest trying DSFTP first. Transfer speeds are rather slow, about 30 kb/s max, but it's useful if you only have a few small files to transfer.

chemical
July 17th, 2007, 05:09
Hey man, thanks a tonne for that info!

I D/Led DSFTP and it works fine and connects to the net ok, but i'm having a somewhat n00bish problem...

How the hell do I connect my PC to it?! :-[
The help document seems to be all about the DS, I can't find any mention of what to do on the PC side of things, I D/Led a few PC FTP programs but just had no idea what I was doing, any chance you could let me know what i'm meant to do on the PC side?

Thanks.

DanTheManMS
July 17th, 2007, 05:49
I use SmartFTP, though they've started forcing you to download a new version every 30 days, which sucks.

But in any case, when you launch DSFTP, it should connect and then show you an IP address at the bottom. Type that into the Address box in your FTP client. If you setup a user account in your DSFTP config file, type in the username and password into the login box. If you didn't make a user account, DSFTP will give you a username and password to use, though I think it'll be read-only. The port is 21 by default unless you specified a different one.

Once the information has been typed in, you can let it connect. It should show you a list of the files on your DS card. You can then drag and drop files onto the window to transfer them to the DS, or drag files from the DS to your desktop to get a copy on your computer.

chemical
July 17th, 2007, 23:32
: D!

I downloaded SmartFTP, it worked perfect, but it was only an evaluation like you say, so I looked and found on download.com: CoreFTP, its 100% free and works perfectly. It remembers the DS's info and where to put the files so now I just have to boot it up and DSFTP, and I can transfer a image in about 30 seconds, this is EXACTLY what I wanted. Thanks :)

Its a hell of alot more nice doing this then constantly removing m3, removing sd, putting in card reader, putting in usb and repeating the other way round.

Thanks again.

ch3mi0n
July 21st, 2007, 00:48
Download Filezilla Server filezilla.sf.net

It's a free, open-source FTP server.