PDA

View Full Version : Very confused and need some clearing up...

moto2000
July 17th, 2007, 01:20
so I just got into the PSP homebrew scene and so far its been alll confusing....I read most of the guides and stickies on the threads but they do not help because they all deal w/ questions/answers to PSP's w/ firmwares up to 2.7 or so...

My question is this: I have a PSP version 3.40...after reading some of the stickies, it looks like I wont be able to play any backup games on my psp? is there a way to play games on my psp that are saved on my memory stick instead of carrying around a million umds?

also, ive read a little about custom firmwares such as 3.40oe or 3.51m33...what exactly do they offer?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks in advance!

Yrkoon
July 17th, 2007, 01:29
if you upgrade to 3.50 official firmware (do NOT TOUCH 3.51 as that fixes the exploit) theres an exploit in lumines 1 that will enable homebrew enabler then from there you can use the noobz 3.50 downgrader located here : http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/

all the info you need to get hen enabled as well as the downgrade is in the readmefile.

once the downgrader has been run and your on 1.5 firmware you can then upgrade to 3.40oe-a

i done the same and used team teamreign's easy 3.40oe-a installer

just be warned that if you dont read the instructions properly or do something daft like pull the power cord out while firm ware is up or downgrading your psp will be a brick.

you do this at your own risk :) ps i got 1.50 from http://dl.qj.net/PSP/catid/106

if there's any thing you'r unsure of in the readmefiles just ask :)

theres also a simialr bug in unpatched gta libert city storys for 3.30 firmwares :)

i take no responsiblilty for acts of god or incorrect reading of the readme files that results in a brick :)

<-- running 3.40oe-a thanks to lumines and noobz and dark alex :)

moto2000
July 17th, 2007, 01:34
wow awesome, that already helps a lot, so I need to have 1.5 first before going to 3.40oe? I thougth I would be able to do that first.

Another thing, is there anything special i need to check like the motherboard on it?

Also, what are most common reasons for bricking a psp?

Yrkoon
July 17th, 2007, 01:43
from reading several forums i can guess the most common reason for bricking is trying to use custom themes for the xmb as they write to the flash ones some onces got custom firmware up an running and decides they want to fully "customize".

or daft people pulling the power cord while the firmware is updating even on official ones :P

i think once u have hen enabled u should take the lumines disk out theres a stage you get to and if the disk is in it can result in a brick i think iom sure some one can give more info :)

the reason you need 1.5 is becuase its the gate way to custom firmwares and 1.5 was the best one to use for homebrew untill the oe firmwares came out all the lumines exploit does is enable some homebrew to run hence the downgrader then up to a custom one which has all the features of an up to date firm ware but the same hombrew a 1.5 can run:)

edit : no you dont need to check your mother board the downgrader checks if you have the dodgy one and then patches it to enable the downgrade safely well as safe as unofficial stuff can be :)

have a look on you tube for some upgrading theres a few videos out there and also bricked ones so watch the vids and dont do what the brickers do :) :)

edit2: when you start the process your heart will race like hell worrying about bricking but if you follow all the steps in the readmes it should be fine hopefully :)

moto2000
July 17th, 2007, 02:02
hahaha i know, im scared about bricking just reading about doing this....so im going to try to do the lumines exploit, downgrade to 1.50 then back to 3.40oe...

anything else I should know about?

any good guides or sites for doing this the most proper way?

EDIT: where is the best place to go to look for this lumines exploit?

Yrkoon
July 17th, 2007, 02:13
this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/518812 helped me a lot after i downgraded to 1.5 thereas info about upgrading to 3.40oe-a and a link to 3.40oe-a easy installer :)

format your memory stick i heard that reduces the chance of a brick :)

Yrkoon
July 17th, 2007, 02:26
the lumines exploit for 3.50 is http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/downgrader-for-psp-v3.50-firmware.html

i bought lumines for 7 pounds in gamestation then used that to downgrade :)

edit: lumines a game btw theres just a flaw in it that can create a buffer over run by having the exploit on the memstick so you can run non signed code by loading the exploit savepoint through the game :)

edit2: if you get an error saying crap about network settings when you downgrade just ignore it, the thing told me to press x but actually circle worked :P once its on 3.40oe-a that error should never bother you gain unless you downgrade to 1.5 via recovery :)

once your on 3.40oe-a you should look into 1.5 recovery mode straight away i used a auto program for it that made the recovery folder for me but you can do it manually through usb
so if any thing go's wrong on custom firmware (eg semi brick) you can usually go back to 1.5 and try again instead of a full brick :)

moto2000
July 17th, 2007, 03:17
wow, thanks so much yrkoon, you've helped a lot! there is so much to this! im so sorry to keep asking this, but just from doing this, ive learned a lot...

What exactly is Homebrew ENabler (HEN)?

and are there guides on how to properly set up recovery?

ExcruciationX
July 17th, 2007, 03:39
HEN is a memory patch that temporarily enables homebrew to be run. It recides in memory until you cold-boot the psp.

This app is what allowes you to run the downgrader.

moto2000
July 17th, 2007, 03:56
thanks for the info....i was reading the readme file included, and was wondering what 'xmb' was exactly...?

ExcruciationX
July 17th, 2007, 04:11
thanks for the info....i was reading the readme file included, and was wondering what 'xmb' was exactly...?
It means Cross Media Bar.

moto2000
July 17th, 2007, 07:52
If i have a PSP that is flashed to 3.40oe-a for example, is it hard to change it back to original firmware if i wanted to do so?

Yrkoon
July 18th, 2007, 02:45
tricky question that one u can go back to 1.5 then upgrade from there but some recent official firmwares wont let you upgrade if theres any sign of tampering in the flash eg downgrading but ive been hearing on some sites theres a cleaner program for the flash you just need to replace the keys in flash or something im unsure about this subject as you must be mad to go from custom to official :)