PDA

View Full Version : PSP/DS Cross-Platform Gaming?

Tesseract
July 17th, 2007, 09:05
Does anyone know of any commercial games or homebrew apps/emulators that can be played multiplayer via WiFi with one player on a PSP and the other on a DS?

I remember seeing something about a LightCycle game that was being worked on, but I was also wondering if any emulators could do the trick.

We DID try Puzzle Quest, but it did not work cross-platform.

Dragar
July 17th, 2007, 10:31
OMG I was just googling that then. :D Saddly I found nothing but I'll be sure to check back on this thread fro any updates.

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2007, 14:07
I don't think there will be cross platform games for DS and PSP. The games are totally different. It's like the Wii and PS3.

xg917
July 17th, 2007, 18:38
that really sucks because it would be da bomb if we can communicate PSPs with DSs. i kno there is one homebrew game that DS and PSP can play together but its something boring like tic tac toe or somehting like that

Tesseract
July 17th, 2007, 19:57
I don't think there will be cross platform games for DS and PSP. The games are totally different. It's like the Wii and PS3.

Or like the PC, XBox 360 and the PS2? Then by your reasoning FFXI shouldn't work.

As I understand it, you simply need to have the two consoles speak the same language with each other, and that the difference is mostly in the Software. Since most DS games' WiFi tends to be coded differently from PSP WiFi, it's unlikely to happen by accident.

But what if someone were to say... make the AdHoc connection for Nester communicate the same between the DS and the PSP version? I'd think that anything like this would first come from instances where it's a port of the same emulator on both consoles.

xg917
July 17th, 2007, 20:12
did you not read my post? lol

that would be cool if gpsp can be ported to DS just so DS people can wait until wifi is added to the future version of GPSP. then psp and DS may be able to communicate. along with gp2x if that has wifi..

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2007, 23:13
Or like the PC, XBox 360 and the PS2? Then by your reasoning FFXI shouldn't work.

another example: Phantasy Star Universe.

But I'm talking about consoles/handhelds from the same generation.

Tesseract
July 18th, 2007, 01:20
T'be honest, I don't think there's ever been that big of a REASON for cross-platform handheld stuff befrore because there's never been much more than just Game Boy.

This is really the first generation with handhelds that are really CAPABLE of talking to each other. It's definitely worth a try, I should think.

yaustar
July 18th, 2007, 10:03
There is no reason why it couldn't be done, as long as the data is the same, the visual representation doesn't have to be. Although that would probably best suited for a centralised network architecture rather then an ad-hoc connection.

Tesseract
July 18th, 2007, 10:18
True... Like perhaps some sort of 'server' program that could run on a networked PC. I had thought of that, but if the server is just there to 'translate' the commands from one platform to the other, then that's something that could just be done locally, rather than involving a third machine.

Having a central 'server' would be nifty, though, for games over the net. Kinda like Kaillera or somesuch. Then gamers from all over could get together for a game of Mario Kart whether they're on a GP2x, NDS, PSP..... maybe even a PC, too! ^^

NoQuarter
July 18th, 2007, 11:58
I would like to see lua's adhoc work for something like this.If it was possible I'd go buy another DS because I'm OCD about electronics (thanx alot psp)Yaustar could you explain why infrastructure would be better than adhoc?

DanTheManMS
July 19th, 2007, 02:05
The problem with doing such a thing in homebrew is the fact that the DS's ad-hoc protocol has not yet been figured out, so you can't do direct DS-to-DS communication in homebrew.

The closest thing we've got is a single application that attempts to broadcast a *.nds file from the root of your media card to a flashed DS, which stores the program in RAM and then executes it. I was never able to get it to work, personally. It could send its own built-in test file, but it couldn't send the file from my media card.

Even with that demo, it's just a single transfer app, so it's not something like a two-player game where the DSs interact with one another.

HOWEVER, the 802.11b aspect of the DS's wifi has been figured out for quite some time, so as long as an access point is nearby, such DS-to-PSP communication might be possible. In fact, I'd think that would be easier to manage, as the standard Wifi could act as a bridge connecting the two consoles. I'd imagine it would be easier than attempting to make the PSP and DS communicate directly, given that their protocols for local wireless multiplayer are probably fairly different.

Of course, you'd still need someone skilled enough at coding for both consoles to create the same application on both, which could be hard to find.

Tesseract
July 19th, 2007, 04:58
Ah, excellent. This is more helpful info.

As for the programming skill, would it follow that if you ported the same app that already had NetPlay from one console to the other, it would communicate similarly enough over WiFi to make things a little easier?

Take, for example, Quake. If you implemented Multiplayer in your build, I assume you would not be changing HOW Quake communicates over the network, just the METHOD it uses to do so. So if you'd run a Quake Server on a PC, it should work to bridge the gap, correct?

Waitasec.... *sniffs around* The Quake NDS version supports Infrastructure... So does the PSP version... *pokes head into other room* I'm a lucky man. My girlfriend wants to try playing cross-platform Quake and asked if it's all right if we have Pizza tonight.

I'll report back with how it goes. :D

Edit (YAY, Proof of Concept!):

http://lh3.google.com/tesseracte/Rp7zJxwJhKI/AAAAAAAAACI/FAOTA7sa-jc/s800/Quake_PoC.jpg

Here's the screenshot from the PC. Mr. White is my Girlfriend's DS. Mr. Green is my PSP. After this, she wasted Mr. Red (PC) and me twice before I finally got the hang of the controls and finally got a bit of revenge.

Anyhow.... Here it is! Unintentional cross-platform homebrew gaming! More please. ^^

steve520
July 19th, 2007, 06:13
Damn I just wish sony and nintendo made a handheld system together it would be the shit.

xg917
July 19th, 2007, 06:20
awsome proof of concept

Tesseract
July 19th, 2007, 09:14
Damn I just wish sony and nintendo made a handheld system together it would be the shit.

Naw. Lack of competition sucks. Much more fun to try to make the Hatfields and the McCoys talk to each other by cleverness.

EDIT: Bah... I was trying to see if I could get the PS2 Quake version to play as well, but I couldn't even get it to start! Any helpful suggestions?