PDA

View Full Version : PSP Genesis v0.1 - New genesis emulator with sound

Pages : [1] 2 3

sougen
June 18th, 2005, 11:07
The best Genesis Emulator for the PSP just got a great update, heres what <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6889&page=21&pp=10" target="_blank" >Sougen</a> posted on our forums:

<BLOCKQUOTE>I have put up a new release of PSPGenesis. This is more of a test to see if people still get the random hangs. I've play tested the emulator for a few hours without any hangs so it looks like that bug is possibly fixed now.

The main changes in this version are:

- Fixed random hangs (hopefully!)
- switched to pspsdk
- Save state support
- Preliminary (unoptimized) Screen Scaling
- (Really ugly) preliminary source release

Currently you can only save/load to one game slot because I don't have an in-game ui, but this will be resolved soon when I rewrite the ui. Please see the readme for the in-game controls for saving/loading and screen scaling (Yes, I know it is a bit fiddly to use at the moment )

The main things on my list of todo's currently are
- 6 button support
- zip files
- ingame ui
- display optimisation
- game compatibility fixes
- emulator optimisation

In regards to the source code, you will HAVE TO read the README.TXT file just so you understand why the source was released in such a messy state as the password for the source code is in that file.</BLOCKQUOTE>

You can download the release and source code either from the Officail Release Thread <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6889&page=21&pp=10" target="_blank" >Here</a> or our PSP Genesis Page Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspgenesis.shtml

Thanks to Sougen for a great new release :)

wraggster
June 18th, 2005, 11:13
Hi thanks for the release, ill do a test now :)

Mirror page at PSP Emulation News here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspgenesis.shtml

shizzle
June 18th, 2005, 11:18
does it have full screen, whats the fps like?

wraggster
June 18th, 2005, 11:26
bloody hell its impressive, get trying now :)

wraggster
June 18th, 2005, 11:30
Heres some great screenshots :)

What a bloody polished release :)

Jeisu
June 18th, 2005, 11:49
I have to applaud your efforts. I tried it on my psp and my gf's and it works well on both, mine is 1.0 hers is 1.5.

I recommend this if you want the sound, it runs very damn well.

EDIT:
Ah, forget the problem, I accidently took out the .fnt file.... ^^;
Just added it back in and now I can see it on hers too.

The sound is very damn good for a first release, to be honest this doens't feel like a .1 it's more like a .7

If you guys want sound on genesis emulators, try this, it's great...

wraggster
June 18th, 2005, 11:50
yeah its awesome to see releases come out of knowhere :)

Boopop
June 18th, 2005, 12:14
I can't get it to work on my 1.5 cause i can't find the data.psp :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind :rolleyes:

wraggster
June 18th, 2005, 13:04
make sure you also upload the included system.fnt

zerox
June 18th, 2005, 13:17
All I can say is WOW! What a release for a 0.1.....at this rate 0.2 should be complete 100% perfect emulation :) Mad props to you Sougen and feel free to post updates to this whenever you want, we wont mind =)

Is this where we should post a buglist or do you have somewhere we could send bug reports? Also, is this emu running in PAL mode or NTSC? I'm assuming PAL because a rom I tried says that it wont run because it only supports NTSC....... <--- UPDATE......I think i figured this out sorry...use the left and right triggers to switch between countries....USA seems to be NTSC... this really is a nice 1st release :)

wraggster
June 18th, 2005, 13:23
yeah all bugs and credits please post here as well as compatibility too :)

kyozabe
June 18th, 2005, 13:37
Gunstar Heroes runs at full speed. :D

Two hacked Sonic games I've tried lock up, though. (Sonic Gaiden and Metal Sonic)

zerox
June 18th, 2005, 13:38
[ Edited because it was not broken :) ]

Sonic 3 just shuts off the psp.......weird

Boopop
June 18th, 2005, 13:48
It doesn't run sonic 3 = but it does run Sonic 3 and Knuckles so who cares :)

Also, is there plans for .grx creation so games such as sonic 3 and knuckles will save like they do on the megadrive?

ditto
June 18th, 2005, 15:10
Excellent first release, very impressive work my good man!

Only issues Ive had are a few US titles that dont work(Sonic among others). Get the Region Error screen with Auto set, and if I go back & set US region is goes black & eventually shuts down the psp.
But all titles I tested from EU/WORLD works excellent, lines is by far the best, trying the other option there only fawked up the screen.
I can come with a more extensive bug-report if needed, but so far.. holy shit man, excellent start!

EDIT:

After Burner (U) - works
Ayrton Sennas Super Monaco GP (U) - works
California Games (U) - Works
Ecco (U) - Works
Jungle Book, The (E) - only works when region set
Lemmings (E) - works
Marble Madness (U) - works
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (U) & (E) - no worky regardless of region setting, black screen & shutdown
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade (JE) - works
Frogger (UJ) works
Lawnmover Man (JUE) work, but fawked up gfx
Paperboy 1 & 2 (JUE) works
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (JUE) works
Wonderboy III (JUE) works
Super Hang-On (JUE) (REV01) works, although a tad slow in respons(might be the game itself..)
Rambo III (JUE) (REV01) works
Tetris (JU) works
Turbo Outrun (JUE) works
Outrun (JU) works
Lotus Turbo Challenge (UE) works
Lotus 2 RECS (EUJ) works

ok, im hungover and bored, but I think I'll stick to non working from now on.. much impressed by this port!

Bugs bunny in double trouble (U) -- region must be set & a tad better with cell.. but still fawked gfx(jumps & left/right shake in picture)

Chuunarusamurai
June 18th, 2005, 15:41
This may sound retarded but i got the emulator to appear on the PSP and all but how do i get my roms to work?

Zeno
June 18th, 2005, 15:50
I can't get this to run on 1.5. I split eboot for 1.5 swap. What MS do I put system.fnt on? I tried both.

ditto
June 18th, 2005, 15:59
use method B.. and fnt on the card that hold the actual emu.... ms2

slayer2psp
June 18th, 2005, 17:15
i cant find the roms on my 1.5 has anybody got it to work on 1.5 ok i unzipped the files it now works how do you make it full screen cant figure that out

aseddon130
June 18th, 2005, 17:42
tbh i dont think id risk using this emulator because it overclocks the PSP so it could damage it ... great work tho !!!

orochi-x
June 18th, 2005, 18:02
This is awesome. Thanks and well done!

There is one thing thats been bugging me about all these geesis emus is the lack of support for 6 button pads but thats just me being picky because most of my favourite games are fighters that work better with the 6 button pad

Aladdin
MK
MK II
MK 3
UMK 3
Virtua Fighter 2

can be added to the working list!

medafor
June 18th, 2005, 18:24
WOW! i signed up to this forum just to tell you how talented you are and how excited i am the EMU can run this good on your first build. do you have plans on working on the snes emu? that would be sweet. i notice i had too unzip my roms on this version (for people who cant access there roms). snes please.

sparhawk
June 18th, 2005, 19:04
Method A will not work with this emulator unless you have version .2 of mswaptool. I hope that helps! I also have the .fnt file on my main card only, not the boot card.

sparhawk
June 18th, 2005, 19:13
So far I have tested:
Phantasy Star 4 - NOT WORKING (crashes when I try to hit start during the intro)
Shining Force - WORKING
Shining Force 2 - WORKING

kyozabe
June 18th, 2005, 19:42
This emulator doesn't overclock the PSP, it simply runs it uncapped...

All this means is (as the processor was built to run at 333 MHz) it provides a better overall performance, and the PSP gets a bit hotter- little to no risk of overheating, though.

Overclocking would be having the processor run at, say, 366 MHz or 400 MHz.

D-Boy
June 18th, 2005, 19:46
O
M
G

WOW really really nice

Yu Yu Hakusho - Makyoutohissen (J) [h1].bin Works ok few compatibility issues

Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden - Makyo Issen (J).bin same

J sims
June 18th, 2005, 21:24
If I am not mistaking the only reason why the psp has a cap on it's processor speed is to increase it's battery life.I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Chrone
June 18th, 2005, 21:32
This hard-froze my PSP on Ecco rom. I had it loaded for about a minute then the entire thing just froze up. Ussually the PSP shuts itself off in that case, but not this time. I had to remove the battery from the back of the system to fix it.

originalself
June 18th, 2005, 22:02
crashed halfway through first race in roadrash 2. Very good emu though. I eagerly look forward to the next update. :D

zerox
June 18th, 2005, 22:08
tbh i dont think id risk using this emulator because it overclocks the PSP so it could damage it ... great work tho !!!

I don't know who was the first to say it "overclocks" the PSP, but if you read up on the specs of the PSP You would know it is not overclocking at all. Several upcoming PSP titles will be utilizing the full 333mhz potential, and we are just using it early. The PSP was set to 222 because too many people were complaining about battery life, and 222mhz cuts down the drain on battery.

Let me just say this, me and a whole lot of other people have been running the emus at 333mhz for many days now and not a single person has reported anything bad happen to their psp...it does not even get warmer to the hand. If you want your PSP to get warm turn on the WiFi switch and use that for about an hour then you'll have a nice toasty handwarmer :)

esence25
June 18th, 2005, 22:54
Please move "settings menu" to L button.
Add VSYNC option for smooth scrolling.
Add 1.5 screen option and 2X (FIT), (SCANLINES), ETC...
Also add FPS display option.

Super job, thanks!!!!!

Also, some screen corruption occurs right when selecting save game in Landstalker.

zerox
June 18th, 2005, 23:54
Please move "settings menu" to L button.
Add VSYNC option for smooth scrolling.
Add 1.5 screen option and 2X (FIT), (SCANLINES), ETC...
Also add FPS display option.

Super job, thanks!!!!!

The author knows what to add to make it better so it's best not to just tell him to do it.....the only thing we should be doing now is posting bug reports for this version.

kyozabe
June 19th, 2005, 00:13
If you load an unsupported rom, say, Sonic 2 and Knuckles, you get a black screen... And after you load an unsupported rom (unsuccessfully) you can't play any other roms; They'll just give the same black screen. If you try to start a rom 3 or 4 times, you'll get a black screen that you can't exit out of, and the PSP auto-shuts off after about 10-15 seconds.

sougen
June 19th, 2005, 01:02
Thanks for all the help testing everyone.

To address the concerns of people running the emulator at 333Mhz,
I've updated the emulator so that it now defaults to 222Mhz and you have to manually toggle it to 333Mhz if you so desire.

I'm not sure what the procedure to upload updates is, but I've attached it to this reply.

ditto
June 19th, 2005, 01:45
Nice one! Im one of those that aint concerned about using the cpu at 333Mhz, been running that one all the emus that support it since the 1.50 sploit came out. No issues to speak about. For the record, this update is solely adressing the cpu speed?

Mentioned this in my earlier post, but that auto region I cant find a red line in when it fails. Had it happen on both U & E roms. And sometimes it helps to set region, other times it just get the "BSOD"(black screen of death) upon load. World roms has been perty much flawless so far. Again, very nice work!

ace3093
June 19th, 2005, 01:58
This emu is amazing! good job keep up the great work!

Zeno
June 19th, 2005, 02:36
use method B.. and fnt on the card that hold the actual emu.... ms2

Er, both are the same thing. They are just different ways of getting the results. So I'm not sure what using method B would do.

Romshark
June 19th, 2005, 02:48
This emulator is great!
I do think that the emulator menu button should be moved, or make a way to continue a game when you go to the menu. I accidentaly hit select a few times, losing my progress in the game.
Also, putting the system in standby doesn't seem to work for me in this emulator. The power light just blinks rapidly until I hold the power switch up for about 10 seconds.
Other stuff like save states will come in time. The above two are really the only concerns I have (especially the standby problem.)

Thanks for the great emulator again!

ArchAngel
June 19th, 2005, 03:53
I tried using the MSSWAP method to get this to work on my PSP v1.5 but the only thing I see is a red gradiant screen with a line at the top, can someone please post a walkthrough for what to do to get this to work with the swap trick? I would really appreciate it! (Also, do you rename your rom to ROM.BIN?)

-Thanks!

Chrone
June 19th, 2005, 04:01
Er, both are the same thing. They are just different ways of getting the results. So I'm not sure what using method B would do.

Besides that fact that it makes it work.

fls_27
June 19th, 2005, 04:19
This is an amazing emulator. The only problem I have is when I save games. Does anyone know if game save is emplemented in the release. I have been trying to play some RPG's but can't get anywhere because I can't save. Thanks in advance.

Zeno
June 19th, 2005, 05:25
Besides that fact that it makes it work.

Oh. Does anyone have an eboots that are already done this way? I'm busy all this week...

Terial
June 19th, 2005, 06:04
I've noticed 2 bugs. one in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and the other in Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

In S3&K: There is no water. you can jump into water, and it has the same effects, slow down, higher jump, and the splash. But you can't tell it's water visually. Just looks like a normal part of the level. Do you not have transparecny created yet?

In Sonic 2:The enemies seem to hurt me when I'm spindashing or attempting to attack them.

but man... AWESOME! AMAZING! This is by far, the BEST emulator on the PSP that i've used. I can't believe you have it running so amazingly. The sound is perfect, as well as the framerate.

however... I've noticed a bit of a problem with scrolling backgrounds. If you load Sonic 1 on it, and go to Starlight Zone (Up, Down, Left, Right, then A+Start at title for level select if you want to check this out) you can see the background of the city skyline "blinking" if you could call it that.

but still man, this is an AMAZING emulator, I cannot wait for the next release. GREAT job. PLEASE, keep up the GREAT work! ^^

EDIT: BTW, these ROMS were formatted as .BIN files.

Beyonder
June 19th, 2005, 07:21
My PSP is fairly new and was purchased in Canada, so I assume its a 1.5 - so is the official verdict then that this emulator DOES NOT work with 1.5s? I followed the instructions and a screen came up telling me it could not load the "game" and then gave me a string of numbers similar to this: 800023001 - BUT, when I went to the disk option under "Game" the genesis icon did appear...just didn't boot up.

I'm using OSX - is this an issue? Is the functioning ROM extention for this emulator .SMD? (if/when i do get it to work). If anyone has got this working on a newer version, like another person already asked, please hold our hands and walk us through....thanks in advance.

nlindenj
June 19th, 2005, 09:18
hi there
i down loaded your latest emulator, but i can't find any of the roms featured on the posts (sonic blast etc)
where can these be found
thanks
nlindenj

wraggster
June 19th, 2005, 09:20
Freeware roms can be found at http://www.pdroms.de

We or any other site forum we not link or tell you where to get commercial roms for obvious reasons.

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 13:23
My PSP is fairly new and was purchased in Canada, so I assume its a 1.5 - so is the official verdict then that this emulator DOES NOT work with 1.5s? I followed the instructions and a screen came up telling me it could not load the "game" and then gave me a string of numbers similar to this: 800023001 - BUT, when I went to the disk option under "Game" the genesis icon did appear...just didn't boot up.

I'm using OSX - is this an issue? Is the functioning ROM extention for this emulator .SMD? (if/when i do get it to work). If anyone has got this working on a newer version, like another person already asked, please hold our hands and walk us through....thanks in advance.

I'll give it a try, but first do me and everyone a favor, (and anyone else with a brand new psp, check the System Settings in the PSP Menu, see if it says 1.5 or 1.5.1, of you have anything above 1.5 you are screwed.

Youll need the MSwaptool .02 which available on the PSP EMULATION sistersite, and you will need two Memory cards. If you downloaded the first mswaptool, there you can find the Adobe manuals in EN, FR, SP. and instruct you how to go about it.

Anyway for those in a rush, take any emulator, and in the mswap program when asked for the directory, load the Eboot.pbp file and in destination, just pick anyplace for you will be copy and paste to the MC1 and MC2 (Memory Card) MC1 could be your 32mb one and MC your bigger one.

make sure if you use ex. GAME/TOOL/PSPGenesis everything looks the same on the other card

you could put your roms in MC2 with the eboot but place roms in "ROMS"

finaly turn on your psp, with MC 1 in it (make sure there are no UMD in psp) go to game, and look for the Launcher program.

have MC2 ready and change it as soon as you "X" the program to launch (just get it in their before the White PSP Bios screen disappear.

Congrats PSP 1.5 should be running your Emulators. you could also download SNES 9x for 1.50 its already been formatted and all you need to do is go in to the MC1 folder copy the file to that MC, then go to MC2 and copy that file to MC2.
*NOTE: some programs require the .fnt that might be with the Eboot so simply put any extra stuff in the MC2 with the eboot file. EVERYTHING MUST BE IN THE GAME FOLDER TO WORK and be PLACED in the SAME folder NAMES the MCs Compliment each other.

Hope this helps

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 13:26
This is an amazing emulator. The only problem I have is when I save games. Does anyone know if game save is emplemented in the release. I have been trying to play some RPG's but can't get anywhere because I can't save. Thanks in advance.

So far I've only seen SNES have a save slot feature, Genesis dosent. Not sure about the others, I am still try EVERYTHING on my psp since i am new to all this stuff that has "Suddenly" been made available to me :D

F34R
June 19th, 2005, 15:24
I tried using the MSSWAP method to get this to work on my PSP v1.5 but the only thing I see is a red gradiant screen with a line at the top, can someone please post a walkthrough for what to do to get this to work with the swap trick? I would really appreciate it! (Also, do you rename your rom to ROM.BIN?)

-Thanks!
make sure you put the system.fnt file along with the eboot file.

slayer2psp
June 19th, 2005, 18:02
is it ever going to support full screen thats all it is missing now. i was playing madden 97 runs real good also mortal kombat 2 played perfect great emu nice work now just make it full screen

slayer2psp
June 19th, 2005, 18:11

you have to use the swap trick use ther tool to make the files you get ms1
ms2 say its the gen emu you want to use take the file out of the ms1 folder but it in the games and make a folder i call my gen put the pbp file in there then on your second memory stick do the same make a folder in the games folder name it the same as the one on ms1 gen is what i did put the pbp file in ther and the roms make sure you unzipp the roms for the emu will pick them up. it all comes down to this make sure the folders are named the same on the memory sticks or it cant find it. real easy once you understand it

crispana
June 19th, 2005, 19:20
Oh. Does anyone have an eboots that are already done this way? I'm busy all this week...
I threw up a page w/ a rar full of working eboots for various emus (for 1.50 firmware)

these emus seem the best to me so far, I spent most of saturday trying out all the homebrew software/emus and this is what I actually kept on my psp after all that.

http://bsdbox.m13.net/psp/

enjoy

Romshark
June 20th, 2005, 02:37
Ok, I found out that you can go into standby or return to the opening screen if you go to the ROM selection menu first. The program has a problem with trying to do this while actually emulating the Genesis, I guess.

sougen
June 20th, 2005, 12:04
Here is a new version of the emulator. This improves a number of issues:

- Improved stability (it's still not perfect, but games that don't work will no longer crash.)
- Improved autodetection (a few games still require manual setting)
- Fixed bug where music/sound was playing slow (no longer need sound fix option)

Alpha2005
June 20th, 2005, 14:29
Hi Sougen.

I tried out your new version...and I had some major bugs with it, with the 2 games I tried out.

For example, mk3 lagged completely and when I started a round the screen would go black

Sonic 3 still crashed

Dunno why,but the lag/blackscreen didnt happen on .11

Btw, this is my favorite genesis emulator :) Youve done a great job

ditto
June 20th, 2005, 14:36
Here is a new version of the emulator. This improves a number of issues:

- Improved stability (it's still not perfect, but games that don't work will no longer crash.)
- Improved autodetection (a few games still require manual setting)
- Fixed bug where music/sound was playing slow (no longer need sound fix option)

Emm, please define will no longer crash. If I try Sonic 3 (E) it comes up with a screen telling me something did go serious wrong & error codes change according to keypresses there after. If I try the same game (U) dump, it does indeed do the BSOD & shuts down. Those games I know crashed prev versions, so atleast the (e) dont "crash"/BSOD it..

Will try the other games I had to manually flick & report back to ya. ;)

Jungle Book, The (E) - works in auto =)

sougen
June 20th, 2005, 15:19
I have found the sonic 3 bug, I've attached an updated version of the release.
MK3 works fine for me though so I'm not sure what that is.

305soldier
June 20th, 2005, 15:31
hey guys im new here.
i might get the psp today but before i do anything how do i verify that is a version 1.5 psp without opening the box (if thier is a way).
any replys to this will be greatly appreciated

ditto
June 20th, 2005, 15:49

Hell yeah! Playing Sonic 3 (E) as we speak. Very good job, you never seize to amaze me mr!
emm.. disregard.. (e) crashes when I start the game, in the middle of the intro vid(plane over water).. (u) still gets me a BSOD

EDIT; changed to 333 now sonic 3(E) runs great.. oddity. (U) still crashes tho. =)

WSOUNitePirate895
June 20th, 2005, 20:10
I can't get this to run on 1.5. I split eboot for 1.5 swap. What MS do I put system.fnt on? I tried both.

I have not had to use Method B, all of emulators work for me without having to do that Method. You but all the stuff that is in the original Eboot folder in MC2. (ex. roms[in folder named roms], .fnt, and any other folders, or .extensions) they maybe be needed to run the emulator)

For those who get a RED Screen when you first load PSPGenesis, dont fret, you just forgot to do the instructions above.

WSOUNitePirate895
June 20th, 2005, 20:21

MR.SOUGEN, Thank You So much for this emulator, and for getting it up to 90% on your first go... WOW!. I ran Sonic 3d at 222mhz, it runs fairly and you can't see the intro (maybe to much to render at that speed). but at 333mhz holy crap! it runs so close to full speed.

If you can whenever you feel its ready, dont forget to add a fullscreen feature. Maybe there is a code you could "borrow" from another emulator.

thanks, now i can use my nokia 3650 for other purposes and not drain the battery. :) (thats where i would run my genesis games)

Alpha2005
June 20th, 2005, 20:28
woops. By mk3 I meant mk3 ultimate :o

Amiga
June 20th, 2005, 20:42
version 0.12b on sonic 3 jouring one of the bonus games,my psp froze and had to remove battery was running at 333mhz :(

wraggster
June 20th, 2005, 21:21
Thanks Sougen for a great release, could i ask if you think that at 222mhz the emulator could run games full speed in the future ?

slayer2psp
June 20th, 2005, 22:04
mk3 works fine for me as well but it needs six buttons also ultimate mk3 works very well road rash 2 and 3 work but the road is blue little strange

sipowicz
June 20th, 2005, 22:55
Tried the emu today and it is good compared to other psp emus.

I hope the sound quality would be emulated better, it is quite bad imho.

Also the speed could be better. Original games run much smoother. I have to run every game 333mhz to be able to play, even then it seems to have noticeable lesser fps compared to original.

A sega genesis emulator on the level of the GENS emu (genesis emu for pc) would be perfect.

Thanks for your hard work so far.

MaDD_Drizzle
June 21st, 2005, 02:58
I followed all directions precisely and i see the Genesis-Rom folder on my psp when i try to play a game..but it will not load...it starts up and then just kinda says "unable to start game"........am i missing something apart that file that u linked us to for the genesis emulator?

Alpha2005
June 21st, 2005, 05:23
Sougen, do you have paypal?

I want to donate 5$ to you. :D

zektor
June 21st, 2005, 06:12
Fantastic emulator! Thank you so much!

I tested v0.12b today after playing with 0.11 almost all of last night. I don't know, but it seems to me that 0.11 has better sound and better speed. Maybe it is just me, but I went back and forth between both and this is what I believe. Is it just me?

ThePhantasm
June 21st, 2005, 15:25
I followed all directions precisely and i see the Genesis-Rom folder on my psp when i try to play a game..but it will not load...it starts up and then just kinda says "unable to start game"........am i missing something apart that file that u linked us to for the genesis emulator?

I got this same message when I tried to load a game. I'm using a 1.5, and all I did was put the Genesis emulator in the folder directory it instructed on the download. Do I have to do this swap that people are talking about in order for it to work? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but I had no idea about the mods people have been doing here.

nurgle
June 21st, 2005, 15:51
Great emulator, well done. Is there a chance that you could add .zip support for the roms aswell as bin/smd support.

Thanks and keep up the great work! :D

watoto
June 21st, 2005, 16:25
yes,great work on the emu,i just wish you could include the same menu the other emus have,like nesterj,the current menu is bit annoying

and yes,full screen would be way cool

Alpha2005
June 21st, 2005, 18:48
Fantastic emulator! Thank you so much!

I tested v0.12b today after playing with 0.11 almost all of last night. I don't know, but it seems to me that 0.11 has better sound and better speed. Maybe it is just me, but I went back and forth between both and this is what I believe. Is it just me?

yeap. .11 is faster imo.

I feel the difference in mk3 u (which I got to work...needed to set speed at 333)

in need of help
June 21st, 2005, 19:53
When i try to load it on my psp it say couldnt start game 80020001. So i dont know what is wrong

goblindojo
June 21st, 2005, 21:53
Where is the source code of this port?

zerox
June 21st, 2005, 22:19
That is up to the author to decide if he wants to release it or not

goblindojo
June 21st, 2005, 23:00
Yes, and the author decided to release it under the GNU GPL. Sougen took the code, ported it to the PSP (and did a great job), then redistributed it without adherring to the license, which is as legal as me distributing the leaked official SDK.

1magus
June 21st, 2005, 23:05
{removed}

wraggster
June 22nd, 2005, 02:20
Im sure he will release the source code in time and that also can be uploaded here. :)

1magus
June 22nd, 2005, 16:27
{removed}

menojohnson
June 22nd, 2005, 18:04
Hi i have a quick question i have a psp that is a 1.5ver and i downloaded the KXploit Tool 0.3 so i can run the sega mega drive. I wanted to know if any one knows where to go to download roms for the emulater for the psp Genesis

so can any one help
thank you

matthiti
June 22nd, 2005, 19:02
When I try to use the KXploit with PSPGenerator, the menu text doesnt show up. Anyone else having the same problem?

As for the roms....we all know where to find them, but none of us know where to find them. Dont ask again!

wraggster
June 22nd, 2005, 19:06
make sure u put the all the files from the zip into the folder on your card ;)

slayer2psp
June 22nd, 2005, 19:29
Hi i have a quick question i have a psp that is a 1.5ver and i downloaded the KXploit Tool 0.3 so i can run the sega mega drive. I wanted to know if any one knows where to go to download roms for the emulater for the psp Genesis

so can any one help
thank you
its real easy to find roms just use google it will show you the way.so any chance somebody will make a sega cd emu that would be cool. to play night trap on the psp would be sweet

matthiti
June 22nd, 2005, 19:31
AHHHH. I forgot the font file, didnt I...thanks for giving me the kick in the face that I needed! PSH, and who would think...such a small little file....*grumble*

BillMcdougal
June 22nd, 2005, 20:25
Hey, I registered at this forum to say thankyou. All the genesis emulators for PSP were unplayable, and then you come along and let us play pretty much fullspeed. I thought I'd also drop a few suggestions, though you're probably already working on everything I'll mention.

-I'd like the ability to go back to game without restarting it by pressing Rom Select button again.
-Savestates
-I'd love to be able to use the analog nub like in snes9x. Gunstar Heroes would be awesome with the analog nub :)

Oh, and a glitch:
-When playing gunstar heroes, on the third level, the airship or gunship or something like that, there is a pretty bad graphics glitch caused by the level constantly scrolling upwards. Instead of the thing (think its a rocket) at the right scrolling off the screen, the texture stays in the exact same place but dissapears from top to bottom. It's kind of a hard glitch to explain, but its a graphics glitch and really weird. Maybe someone else could play that level and explain with better detail.

Thanks again for your work on this project, it's my most-played homebrew application.

ArchAngel
June 22nd, 2005, 21:58
Bill, Im pretty positive that savestates are a priorit'ah, considering its kinda needed, they just wanted to get a version out and about to put their name in the grout. Patience man...

1magus
June 22nd, 2005, 23:12
So instead of just saying u can goolge search for roms u removed my post?

Kaiser
June 22nd, 2005, 23:30
Great Job Sougen, Any plans to make it 32x and sega cd integrated into it?

BillMcdougal
June 22nd, 2005, 23:53
Bill, Im pretty positive that savestates are a priorit'ah, considering its kinda needed, they just wanted to get a version out and about to put their name in the grout. Patience man...

...Hence why I said "though you're probably already working on everything I'll mention" ;)

phantomk
June 23rd, 2005, 00:25
PSP crashes when you try to exit the emu using the home button- light flashes then stays lit- screen goes black- power then has to be held in hold postion for a few seconds and then power off for a few more. I am using 1.5 and it it did it with both the swaploit and the % trick. Other than that no compliants. I wish the main menu was more like snes/nesterj and accessed the same way, but thats pushing it. Doom crashes on exit as well. Both of these emus are great! I just wish they didnt crash when I want to exit them.

mosgjig
June 23rd, 2005, 01:01
Like many others before me i just signed up to say thanks for this great release.

Duno if others are havin trouble with this but "Desert Strike - return to the gulf" wont work, it boots up but the missions wont start, i tried every option combination but still no success.

Someone please let me know if i missed somethin simple, if not hope you fix it with your next release.

If ya get a chance add an option to display the FPS during game play, i think its an easy and nifty feature to implement, no rush though.

Thnx

BillMcdougal
June 23rd, 2005, 01:06
Phantomk, i don't have that problem. My games freeze sometimes, but my psp has never froze upon exit.

Shannon
June 23rd, 2005, 04:01
Doom was fixed not to crash on exit and NONE of the emu's will crash on exit if you exit WHILE in the ROM selection screen.

1magus
June 23rd, 2005, 05:31
Doom what system is that for though it was only PC?

HunterWren
June 23rd, 2005, 08:26
First of all congrats on the badass emu, works great with the exception of one thing(well not counting the resume game function in menu, i think select button is a good choice for your menu, is just kinda sucks not being able to resume game, but Im sure your on top of that already :D ), I made sure to read all the previous post's and only one other person seemed to have the same problem. Anyways, Im trying to play Shining Force 2 and cant seem to save my game. Does this emu support save game feature? Please take note, im talking about regular hard save, NOT save state which has already been stated by several people as not being included yet. Anyways, excellent work, Ill have to test some other rpg's and see if I can save in those.

sougen
June 23rd, 2005, 14:23
I have updated the emulator with a feature that even I myself have been waiting for!
There's now an option (off by default since it writes to your memory card) to load/save SRAM (for games like my favourite Shining Force series).
Note that this is just SRAM saves. (I'll be working on full save states next).

To answer some of the questions that have been raised:
- It will be possible to get full speed or close to full speed emulation on 222Mhz. But this optimisation stage will be the last thing done since stability and compatibility is more important at this stage.

- It is unlikely that SegaCD and 32X support will make it in any time soon, if at all (since the segacd requires an extra 68k processor to be emulated and the 32x requires the SH2 to be emulated)...

- Yes, source code will be released at some stage, but not at this time (since its in a really big mess since I'm just learning about the PSP and trying stuff out :P)

- The features that have been requested are already on my list, so please be patient. If there is a feature that you want that is not listed, then feel free to suggest it.

goblindojo
June 23rd, 2005, 15:10
If you don't feel the source is ready for you to release it would be perfectly legal for you not to release the emu at all. I'm sure we've all seen and produced worse code.

Now, about sram saves, nice feature, it works for me in Sonic 3, however Might and Magic III (u) says "Could not initialize Battery Ram", and no .srm file is created in the save directory. Running Pirates! Gold (u) a save file is created on startup, then the background of the Sega title screen turns red and the game locks up. I'm not sure if this is a problem with your port or the original Generator as I can't get it to run in Windows XP and I have no physical access to a Linux box atm.

sougen
June 23rd, 2005, 15:45
If you don't feel the source is ready for you to release it would be perfectly legal for you not to release the emu at all. I'm sure we've all seen and produced worse code.

Now, about sram saves, nice feature, it works for me in Sonic 3, however Might and Magic III (u) says "Could not initialize Battery Ram", and no .srm file is created in the save directory. Running Pirates! Gold (u) a save file is created on startup, then the background of the Sega title screen turns red and the game locks up. I'm not sure if this is a problem with your port or the original Generator as I can't get it to run in Windows XP and I have no physical access to a Linux box atm.

Thanks for testing out the sram feature.

I have to say I have never read the license file (does anyone ever read those things), but if what you say is true, I will no longer release anymore updates until I have fully finished the emulator and feel it is ready to be released with the source code.
I just wanted to share with everyone the ability to play back all the old games that we used to love. I in no way want any credit for it. But if this violates the gpl, then I will comply with it and stop releases until I can release the source code.

A_Rival
June 23rd, 2005, 17:45

I really hope you were saying this to help make him feel more assured about his source code, and not to try to hinder his releases of this awesome emulator.

Sougen this emu rocks, I'm sure no one gives a shit about the "license" issues. I doubt it has any relevance to your emu, and when you're ready, you'll release the source anyway, won't ya?

If anyone wants to be a tightass about licensing, why don't you delete the illegal roms off of your emus if you want to be so proper with the law?

Shut up and play!

-A_Rival

wraggster
June 23rd, 2005, 18:05
awesome release Sougen

GPL is both a good and bad thing, but as long as theres a middle ground then we can all enjoy releases.

sabernet
June 23rd, 2005, 18:13

I have to say I have never read the license file (does anyone ever read those things), but if what you say is true, I will no longer release anymore updates until I have fully finished the emulator and feel it is ready to be released with the source code.
I just wanted to share with everyone the ability to play back all the old games that we used to love. I in no way want any credit for it. But if this violates the gpl, then I will comply with it and stop releases until I can release the source code.

IANAL but I believe the GPL only requires that you make your source available. Even if this means by special request(IE someone emailing you for it). However, I have no doubt you mean it when you say you would do it and I doubt anyone'll challenge you on that:)

As for messy code, bah, it's always messy^^

btw: The emu really does kick arseballs. I'm quite amazed at how fast you were able to make it go.

HunterWren
June 23rd, 2005, 19:24
Its like as soon as i asked you delivered. lol Thanks very much, now im completely satisfied. :D

weatherman
June 23rd, 2005, 20:26
The GPL states that if you are distributing the program, you have to distribute the source as well. The minimum requirement is that, with the program itself, you have a way for people to get the code if they want it:

"[...or you must] Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange"

The GPL was designed at at a time when "downloads" were not the most common method of distribution - they used these things called floppy disks. As near as I can recall, they were like floppy hats but there was some way to store programs on them. Wierd.

It was also a time when beta releases, or releasing in the process of developing, was really not common place. As a result, the GPL doesn't really specify at what stage you have to release the code. Since nothing is said about that, you can assume what you want, but most folks would say that you should release the code with each beta version. I don't think there's a hard-n-fast rule though, and while IANAP I wouldn't get all bent about not releasing the code at an early stage.

Anyway, the point is that when you're using someone else's open-source (in this case, GPL if the original code) then you have to distribute your source code too. This helps everybody, since now everyone can look at your source and offer improvements and suggestions as to how to optimize it. Sure, you may not like your messy code, but ultimately it benefits everyone to be able to see it. This is especially true in the beginning stages of development, but I guess it's more about what you think is the right thing to do and what the dev community thinks about not releasing the code.

A_Rival's comment made me laugh. Touché!

PS I haven't tried the emu yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Keep up the great work!

BillMcdougal
June 23rd, 2005, 20:46
...but if what you say is true, I will no longer release anymore updates until I have fully finished the emulator and feel it is ready to be released with the source code.

Say it aint so! :eek:

zerox
June 23rd, 2005, 20:56
F that man let him release his releases and he can release the source when he's ready

sabernet
June 23rd, 2005, 21:13
I don't think you have anything to worry about unless someone from the dgen crew complains about it.

Frankly, I don't imagine they would anytime soon.

but you should view open sourcing to be an advantage. If your code is messy, then open sourcing may draw a volunteer to clean it up for you nice and pretty:)

but don't feel pressured to do anything. It looks like you started this as a hobby. Keep it as a hobby and have fun with it:)

Cap'n 1time
June 23rd, 2005, 22:21
Its always nice to release your source. People always might be able to improve your code.. and its all about getting this thing to run great, right?

HunterWren
June 23rd, 2005, 23:26
Well after some extended play with Shining Force 2 Ive found that it sometimes randomly freezes in game, after it freezes none of the buttons respond and I have to result to holding down the power button for a full shutdown. This has happened to me about half a dozen times now, dunno if this is an emulator problem or just a problem with Shining Force 2. A big downfall to this is I noticed that it only keeps saved data saved if you return to your menu, meaning if the game freezes you lose all save data since the game was last loaded. :eek: Ouch! Anyways, I still think this emu kicks ass and Im not complaining, just filling you in :cool: . I think Im going to try some Phantasy Star 4 now, Ill keep you posted if anything else comes up. Keep up the good work!

Ashtear
June 23rd, 2005, 23:50
Just wondering, is it just me, or is SRAM saving not working on Phantasy Star IV?? I just tried it, set sram save to "y" at the rom selector screen, and played up until the very first time you can save. saved on the first slot, then used select to go back to the menu, and restarted the game. When I went to the title screen, no saves are there, just "Start", as usual. :-(

Alpha2005
June 24th, 2005, 05:34

but if what you say is true, I will no longer release anymore updates until I have fully finished the emulator and feel it is ready to be released with the source code.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Please no. I will kill myself (kinda :p ) if you stop releasing new betas.

Everybody loves to test out your new releases. For the love of god...dont stop!

HunterWren
June 24th, 2005, 06:48
Just wondering, is it just me, or is SRAM saving not working on Phantasy Star IV?? I just tried it, set sram save to "y" at the rom selector screen, and played up until the very first time you can save. saved on the first slot, then used select to go back to the menu, and restarted the game. When I went to the title screen, no saves are there, just "Start", as usual. :-(

Yes this is indeed true. SRAM does in fact not work with Phantasy Star 4. :( Havent noticed any freezing with PS4, but I didnt play it very extensively being theres no save feature and all. Oh well, moving on to original Shining Force now or maybe some PS3 :D Anyways Ill post any bugs I encounter.

rock_light
June 24th, 2005, 07:27
Hey keep up the good work sougen! Your efforts are MUCH appriciated.
I wish I had the knowlage to start coding my own programs... Can you tell me what language this prog is written in? I dun know anything about it at all.(C++?)
Oh and how long have you been programming for?

Looking forward to your next release as always! Thank you again.

Smiths
June 24th, 2005, 10:21
sougen-
this is amazing and I wanna thank you for this. Really all I've wanted is my NHL 94 on the go and now it works about 98% well.

These bugs are specific to this game, but maybe they can help you locate bugs with other games.
When the "organ" is playing (the arena music) everything gets really choppy, but when the music stops, it runs perfectly.
Random freeze. One time happened to me at in-game menu screen post-game when the soundtrack track finished playing (it's supposed to loop.. maybe something before it looped caused a freeze?)
Settings are: line, 333, sram: y

Anyway, great job and keep it up.

Oh and re: the source. Here's the take on it from what has been happening so far in the "scene".

Ruka and Mirakichi both used GPL'd programs for their emulators with full intent on source release. They both knew that under the GPL they had to, and both waited for 1.0 releases when the source was cleaned up and commented and ready for anyone to pick it up to release it.
Not a soul complained about it being "illegal" since they had full intent and reputability amongst the community.

You fit into that category with sites and fellow programmers; we understand you will eventually abide by the GPL and release the source; it just has to be tidied and at a state of "okay.. now YOU code!"

I'm not saying ignore the GPL in any way, just have intent based on reputation.

parabolee
June 24th, 2005, 16:39
Fantastic work! I have been waiting for this for a while!

I havn't tested it yet but will when I get home.

Is there anyway we can donate money to you? Like a paypal donate or something? I would like to reward your hard work since it will bring me a lot of joy!

I can now stop playing Megadrive games on my N-Gage and go BIG SCREEN! :)

spweener
June 24th, 2005, 17:13
Hi I'm new to all this and I'm probably what you call a NOOB. I'm posting in the Genesis pages because I would like to get started. I have already done the Super Nintendo and it works great. So, can anyone please reply to me and tell what has to be done different for the Genesis emus and roms to work. I have version 1.5. Thanks to all.

Kaiser
June 24th, 2005, 21:17
Hi I'm new to all this and I'm probably what you call a NOOB. I'm posting in the Genesis pages because I would like to get started. I have already done the Super Nintendo and it works great. So, can anyone please reply to me and tell what has to be done different for the Genesis emus and roms to work. I have version 1.5. Thanks to all.

You really shouldn't have to ask maybe spend a little time reading in the forums and there you go. the main point is to use this emu though its by far the best.

On another note I can't seem to save on Sonic 3 and Knuckles I hit select and restart the game and it has no saves. I do remember to make the sram feature on before starting game so I really have no idea why its not working.

BillMcdougal
June 24th, 2005, 21:35

It'd help if you were more specific and told us the problem you are having. The roms are just .bin

Did you include the font file with the main eboot?

{Sephiroth}
June 24th, 2005, 22:13
Excellent emulator, however it seems the new SRAM save hing doesn't work great for every game. Phantasy star 4 was mentioned earlier, and anther one which I have difficulty with is Sonic 3 combined with Sonic and Knuckles

spweener
June 24th, 2005, 22:21
It'd help if you were more specific and told us the problem you are having. The roms are just .bin
Did you include the font file with the main eboot?

To Mr. McDougal:
Okay, I get the .bin for the roms. But I don't understand the "font" file. And also where do I get the eboots from? If I have to use the swap method, do I use the same ones as the Super Nintendo?
Again, Thanks to all

spweener
June 24th, 2005, 22:27
You really shouldn't have to ask maybe spend a little time reading in the forums and there you go. the main point is to use this emu though its by far the best.

To Kaiser:
Believe me I spent hours looking for a "walkthrough" for the Genesis emu and I get confused, some are for the 1.0 some aren't, I have the 1.5. If someone would help people like me with a step by step walkthrough it would help. If you look at the step by step for PSPVideo9, it's awesome. Basically, I only need to know what to put in MC1 and MC2. Also, McDougal talks about a font file.
Again Thanks to all.

BillMcdougal
June 24th, 2005, 22:49
Spweener, you do know that you don't have to swap memory cards any more to play homebrew on a 1.5? You can just add a "%" to the end of what used to be the MS1 folder and put it right there in the game folder of what used to be MS2. That will let you run on a single memory card. If you didn't already have MS1 and MS2 set up, download KXploit from psphacker.com or something to select the emu eboot which will do it for you. Then just make sure you put the font file in the folder without the "%". The font file comes with the main single eboot when you initially download this emulator.

{Sephiroth}
June 24th, 2005, 23:06
OK real quick step by step. Get this: http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/kxploit_1.5_psp-dev.rar Install it. Plug in your PSP to your computer by USB and in the PSP menu go to the USB transfer option. Run the KXploit tool you just installed. In name put the name of the folder (it doesn't really matter for most, PSPGENESIS is fine). On PBP file select the eboot.pbp that came with your PSP homebrew app. On the PSP unit tab, if you followed the steps earlier and you PSP is in USB transfer mode, select the drive name it is (for example mine is g:\). If you can't see your PSP drive press refresh it should come up. Then press generate files. Go into explorer, find your PSP and put everything else (eg. system.fnt or the roms directory) into the folder called PSPGENESIS and NOT PSPGENESIS%. It should load up after that. REMEMBER: This is for 1.5 PSP's ONLY.

ganon
June 25th, 2005, 23:04
great emu but lacks snes gui settings

Kaiser
June 26th, 2005, 02:27
After playing through my games a lot I've also noticed that the scores for the games are messed up. It is easy to get a max score from little playing. sometimes in place of numerical digits there are periods,slashes,percent symbols ect.

{Sephiroth}
June 26th, 2005, 12:05
You tried the same rom on a different emu? It could be a hacked rom with a trainer, because the % marks etc just mean the scoreboard cant hold enough numbers for such a stupidly high score

shizzle
June 26th, 2005, 18:08
how imposible would a saturn emulator be?

ganon
June 26th, 2005, 18:14
I never got a saturn emu workin on pc, well thats just me.

bkdevart
June 26th, 2005, 19:39
Saturn emus require MASSIVE processing power. I've got a laptop with a 2.8 ghz processor, and that seems almost sufficient... but you got to remember that the Saturn had 3 different processors running in it, which not only made it a pain to write games for (at the time), but also turns it into a system that's really CPU intensive to emulate. I think we'll be lucky if we see N64 emulation, since the early N64 emu's (like UltraHLE) were capable of running on my PII300 mhz. The PSP's clocked at 333, and whether or not the performance turns out well will depend on how much the coders can tap the PSP's GPU.
But oh yeah, this is a Genesis thread...
Great job on the coding... good performance, good sound... all out of nowhere. My only complaint (and it's been listed before) is the lack of a working sleep mode during gameplay. Having to go back to the menu (without savestates) makes it tough to play certain games on the go.
Keep up the good work!

Kaiser
June 27th, 2005, 00:33
You tried the same rom on a different emu? It could be a hacked rom with a trainer, because the % marks etc just mean the scoreboard cant hold enough numbers for such a stupidly high score

All my roms have screwed up scoreboards like this but not when ran on my gens emulator for pc. Its just the a bug in this emulator.

turtleghandi
June 27th, 2005, 08:04
Nice job. Once the frame rates and sound get good, somebody should put some game genie support on or something.

zerox
June 27th, 2005, 10:13
I noticed we havn't had an update here since one guy complained about releasing the source code.....Sougen please say you arn't going to make us wait another 6 months or so until you've completed your emulator for a new release :(

BlueTsunami
June 27th, 2005, 17:31
I'm having a problem with a game called "Shining in the Darkness". When I'm given a choice (Yes or No) in the game...no matter what I press, its always No. I don't think its the ROM because it works fine on my Emulator on the PC (I use GENS and I mapped the Keys myself). One Scenario is where I'm at the Weaponsmith and going to buy a Sword....no matter what I press the game takes the button I press as if i'm declining. I wonder if its because this game needs six buttons or something? How are the buttons set?

Onetonbullet
June 28th, 2005, 00:32
I cant believe we are not going to get an update because someone bitched about source code...

Alpha2005
June 28th, 2005, 01:39
Yeah, seriously. Theres always some jerk who needs to be politically correct in the dumbest way...and ruin everybodys fun. Fricking goodytooshoes.

The gpl or whatever its called was made before beta distribution was widely adapted.

Sougen, can you PLEASE respond in this thread what your plans are? Thank you.

Releasing betas is nice because theres always something (bugs) that others will spot that you *might* not

djrobx
June 28th, 2005, 01:57
Sougen, thanks for this great work. It is incredible. Had I not seen it running I would have not beleived the PSP could handle a 68k and doing software FM synthesis, at least not in these early stages of PSP development.

As far as the GPL goes, I beleive Sveasoft has set the precedent that is legal to release "beta" binaries prior to your public release of the source code, as long as you intend to release the code eventually. That sounds exactly like your stated intentions, so I think you can keep releasing updates with confidence if you desire to.

Terial
June 28th, 2005, 02:56
Sougen, you are my hero, lol. really.

I have dreamed about playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the go for so long, and you made it happen, for that, I am truly in your debt. If you have a paypal, I would LOVE to donate money to you. You truly are an amazing programmer for having full frame rate and amazing sound on the first release, and so soon in the emulation scene.

I downloaded this and was so happy I litterally went out and danced in my front yard listening to some of the music on S3&K ^^;. (Specificly, Lava Reef Zone and the Sonic3 Ending theme) I LOVE this emu, it's the best download for the PSP.

I have played this more than any other homebrew program i've downloaded. Although the new snake game that was released last night has been getting a portion of my time now, so you better watch out for that one, it's a tough competetor :p .

If you want to wait untill your source code is cleaned up, well, I'm not going to complian, as this emulator is already INCREDIBLY well-done enough for me and i'm happy with it. I'll be content with this as it is, because it's so great. However, I will miss having your emulator updated with cool features like the fix for the sound and the partially-working SRAM.

Also, your emulator runs better on 222Mhz than the SNESx9 on 333Mhz. You've already done so well for the low clockrate. So if you got the emulator to run at full framerate and great sound on 222Mhz, you will be the greatest PSP coder around. (IMO at least, lol)

Btw, would it be possible to get the emulator to run at something lower than 222Mhz? I'm not asking for this, as that would probably be incredibly hard if even possible, just wondering because people are so concerned about battery life. I have two batteries so I don't really worry about the battery life issue.

Anyway, keep up the AMAZING work with this emulator please. And stay in good health. :D

kyozabe
June 28th, 2005, 06:39
goblindojo: A shitstain such as yourself isn't even worth my creativity, so I'll sum this post right up: ****. You.

(My apologies, Moderators, and Administrators; But it had to be done.)

Onetonbullet
June 28th, 2005, 06:45
^^ :eek: ^^

Maybe Sougen could release updates @ the "usual places"... ;)

goblindojo
June 28th, 2005, 21:28
I didn't create the requirement that you need to release the source code to any derived works, the original author of the Generator emulator did. But if you are unable to make any meaningful contributions, by all means feel free to shoot the messenger instead.

zerox
June 28th, 2005, 21:31
*bang*

zerox
June 28th, 2005, 21:31
*Bang*

unclebillskid
June 28th, 2005, 23:11
Nice emulator, you know, like everyone says especially for a .1. Now, if only I could save my games.

I know, bitch, bitch, bitch. sorry.

Alpha2005
June 29th, 2005, 03:30
goblindojo: A shitstain such as yourself isn't even worth my creativity, so I'll sum this post right up: ****. You.

(My apologies, Moderators, and Administrators; But it had to be done.)
amen. lol

kyozabe
June 29th, 2005, 06:11
I didn't create the requirement that you need to release the source code to any derived works, the original author of the Generator emulator did. But if you are unable to make any meaningful contributions, by all means feel free to shoot the messenger instead.

(Heh, I'll try to be a bit more 'tame' this time.)

Excuse me, but who the **** called upon you to be "the messenger?"

Are you trying to imply that the original author of the Generator emulator sent you here to speak on his behalf? I know that the author couldn't be an asswipe such as yourself, but I do find it somewhat fishy that, I assume, on your own time, you scoured the entire ****ing license of some random program, just to start shit. I mean, WTF?

What is your point? Does doing this increase the size of your e-Penis?

Are you happy now?

It's people like you that truly corrupt the Internet. I hope you die slowly and painfully.

Addition: Hah, forgot to reply to the entirety of his post rather than the single statement.

1. The 'derived work' is, actually, unfinished. I'm quite sure that something in a stage below "Version One.Blah" can be referred to as a "derived work." If you want to be such a license whore, then look at it this way, Mr. I'm-Right-And-You're-Wrong-So-Hah. This "work" isn't finished. Sougen released said unfinished work so that it can be publicly beta tested, not unlike the public beta tests given by Capcom for some of it's Playstation 2 games.

Since you seem so narrow-minded, I'll explain to you what I mean by 'public beta test.' By 'public beta test,' I mean that the Author, in this case, Sougen, fully lacks the resources or funds to hire a Quality Assurance team for his product (PSP Generator). He could not possibly completely debug the emulator all by himself, so he enlists the voluntary help of you, the User. We download, test (play), and reply in this forum each and every bug we come across. Such as the Sonic 3 bug, which was addressed, among other things.

2. Don't give me any bullshit about 'meaningful contributions.' The post containing your single 'meaningful contribution' is the same post that you tell the ****ing author of THE VERY EMULATOR YOU ARE ENJOYING to STOP RELEASING UPDATES! ARE YOU ****ING LACKING IN THE HEAD, MAN?

I mean, jeez. Dennis Leary is an asshole, that much I know, but compared to you, he's Whoopi-****ing-Goldberg.

Do the world a favor and stop posting in this topic. Please.

Onetonbullet
June 29th, 2005, 07:49
Back on topic....I'd hate to see a sticky locked....heh heh

Sougen>Do what you gotta do....Maybe private betas? "Wink wink, Nudge nudge, Say no more"....

goblindojo
June 29th, 2005, 13:45
I wanted to have the source because I wanted to improve the emulator. If you wish to understand the requirements of the GNU GPL I refer you to the GPL FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html).

Apart from that I have no intention being involved in any kind of flame war, so you might as well quit wasting your time.

Darksaviour69
June 29th, 2005, 14:12
Ok, thats enough, NO MORE FLAMEING

i going to read though this mess and see who started this, Flameing is breaking the rules and we have zero tolerence for rule breaking!

i have not read everything in this topic yet, but the source is required under a GPL licence

edit: ok kyozabe, you are on a last warning, for flaming twice

Dark_God5555
June 29th, 2005, 15:35
Help

I Downloaded Version 1.51 Network Update On My Psp And All Of The Homebrews Dont Work. It Will Always Say The Game Could Not Be Started!!! I Deleted The Update By Going On My Computer And Deleting Psp / Update. I Guess I Still Have 1.51 Even Though I Deleted The Update... Can Some One Please Help Me So I Can Play These Games!!!

kato
June 29th, 2005, 17:23
Anyone consider the possiblity that Sougen might just be...oh, I don't know....busy?

Alpha2005
June 29th, 2005, 19:25
Anyone consider the possiblity that Sougen might just be...oh, I don't know....busy?
Yeap. That may be why he didnt reply to this thread lol...buy you never know. :mad:

kyozabe
June 29th, 2005, 20:08
Ok, ok, I'll stop. I just find it hard to believe that Sougen could be "busy" all of a sudden. His posts in this forum seem to have ceased immediately following goblindojo's request for the source code.

I'm just saying, dojo could have just as easily PM'd sougen asking for it, instead of raising this crap about licenses...

Yes, he's supposed to release the source code along with the emulator, but, as other users have said, he hasn't made an actual full release yet. We're just testing it to iron out all the bugs so that it can be released, source code and all.

My take on why sougen is gone is that he's just been busy trying to get the emulator completed to such a degree that it can be called "v1.0" rather than .12. And this could take months.

wraggster
June 30th, 2005, 00:26
patience people, just be happy for what you have already, Sougen released such a good few first releases that a little wait will be a good thing to play nearon perfect Genesis/Megadrive emulation.

Sufpunch
June 30th, 2005, 11:57
I would also like to request that ZIP support is added to the next release.

QBSamurai
June 30th, 2005, 15:35
So does this freaking emulator import systems because I have the american psp version 1.51 and the emu is not working at all. Just curious?

Cross
June 30th, 2005, 15:59
I wanted to have the source because I wanted to improve the emulator. If you wish to understand the requirements of the GNU GPL I refer you to the GPL FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html).

Apart from that I have no intention being involved in any kind of flame war, so you might as well quit wasting your time.

improve...or make ur own.... I kind of had a feeling thats y u complained about it.

Anyway I want to give a bow to the creator of this EMU, you have done an excellent job. All the requests I have have been added to this forum already. I am glad to see that someone has made such great progress! You are a credit to the community! Please stay with us and I like One Tone Bullet's idea, private Beta's. I keep a list of compatable SNES games and NES and SNES EMU's going here on the forums. I would love to add ur Gen EMU and such a list to my thread if it helps u at all ^-^

QBSamurai
June 30th, 2005, 21:59
but still does this only work for the import psp because my psp is having that error situation and that swap trick is not working.

Cross
July 1st, 2005, 06:28
As far as I know if u have version 1.51 or above u can not use any Homebrew only 1.0 and 1.50

And no there is no way to downgrade, and we are not sure when 1.51 will be broken. But it will just like 1.50 was So give it some time! :D

iDan
July 1st, 2005, 09:23
I have to applaud your efforts. I tried it on my psp and my gf's and it works well on both, mine is 1.0 hers is 1.5.

I recommend this if you want the sound, it runs very damn well.

EDIT:
Ah, forget the problem, I accidently took out the .fnt file.... ^^;
Just added it back in and now I can see it on hers too.

The sound is very damn good for a first release, to be honest this doens't feel like a .1 it's more like a .7

If you guys want sound on genesis emulators, try this, it's great...
Hi, i have a 1.5 psp can you please tell me how you got the genesis emulator to work on yours?

Cheers, Dan.

TheYoungJediKnight
July 1st, 2005, 18:24
First - a very big THANK YOU! to Sougen for this excellent BETA!!!

:D OUTSTANDING!!! :D

Second - iDan,

Hi, i have a 1.5 psp can you please tell me how you got the genesis emulator to work on yours?

Cheers, Dan.
Simply follow this easy walkthrough from Sephiroth (very big THANKS! to you as well for this Sephiroth!) for the 1.5, you can't go wrong! ;)

OK real quick step by step. Get this: http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/kxploit_1.5_psp-dev.rar Install it. Plug in your PSP to your computer by USB and in the PSP menu go to the USB transfer option. Run the KXploit tool you just installed. In name put the name of the folder (it doesn't really matter for most, PSPGENESIS is fine). On PBP file select the eboot.pbp that came with your PSP homebrew app. On the PSP unit tab, if you followed the steps earlier and you PSP is in USB transfer mode, select the drive name it is (for example mine is g:\). If you can't see your PSP drive press refresh it should come up. Then press generate files. Go into explorer, find your PSP and put everything else (eg. system.fnt or the roms directory) into the folder called PSPGENESIS and NOT PSPGENESIS%. It should load up after that. REMEMBER: This is for 1.5 PSP's ONLY.

iDan
July 1st, 2005, 20:52
That was great!!! Cheers!!

Best1616
July 2nd, 2005, 01:18
how do you save?

Alpha2005
July 2nd, 2005, 06:32
you dont save. Not for a while thanks to....

CannedSoup
July 3rd, 2005, 09:35
the port of Dgen has slighty suprassed this in its newest version.

Ziim
July 4th, 2005, 08:10
Your kidding about DGen, Right?

Is there a place to donate for this emulator? :D

dman32
July 4th, 2005, 17:32
I'm confused which one is the best genesis emulator?

Cross
July 4th, 2005, 19:08
Theres a thread about all the EMU's in the Sticky section. I keep it updated as much as possible. (just finished a round of updates) I will get you a link.

SNES, SEGA, NES and now GB/GBC/GBA Emulator stack up and compatability Thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7353)

But PSP Genesis is still better I think

Ziim
July 5th, 2005, 22:17
PspGenesis is currently the best genesis emulator on PSP.
Dgen is ok, but the speed is nowhere near PspGenesis, and Dgen is lacking a rom directory. As of now all the roms go in with the eboot files, very messy.

Onetonbullet
July 6th, 2005, 06:26
Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

Above quote from:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

Generator license:
http://www.squish.net/generator/license.html

Anyways,...There you go. "Private" beta test releases 100% legal

zerox
July 7th, 2005, 08:36
Sougen if you are out there if you could please atleast just say hello you are still alive that would be great. We understand if you are holding off releases but just need to make sure you didn't get hit by a truck :)

wraggster
July 7th, 2005, 18:06
yeah we cant wait to see what you have for us next :)

CannedSoup
July 7th, 2005, 18:43
Interesting I read a new Dgen has a menu, 333mhz sound and saving....

Onetonbullet
July 8th, 2005, 00:10
Thanks to a certain joykill, I have a feeling we will not see any further public betas...

I'm sure if Sougen needs testers, he will have no trouble finding them.

Hopefully we will not have to wait a year for a release, although I'm sure it would be well worth the wait.

dman32
July 8th, 2005, 06:51
does it really take that long for a release?

Cross
July 8th, 2005, 07:03
Interesting I read a new Dgen has a menu, 333mhz sound and saving....

I tested it, nice menu's but not as good as PSP Gen Yet.

1) The sound is staticy
2) It has no region selector so many games will not play

It does seem like the best contender though, I look forward to its future updates as well. But with PSP Gen's success right off the bat I think its going to be a tough one to beat.

Terial
July 9th, 2005, 03:37
Sougen, not to be annoying or anything, but if you need private beta testers, I would be ecstatic to help out. If not, eh, i'll live... as long as you update your emulator again :D.
If someone somehow miraculously made a better performing Genesis emulator (which, is impossible ;)) I still wouldn't switch. I declare loyalty to Sougen for his awesome work.
And Sougen, just wondering. But is it possible to emulate the Sega CD and the 32X? I know this would be really hard to do now at this stage in the emulation scene. But maybe in a year or two? I know it would be incredibly hard to emulate all of those processors... expecially if you needed to run one of those few 32XCD games, lol. but if anyone can do it, I know you can! Keep up the great work Sougen ^_^!

Shannon
July 9th, 2005, 09:47
Sougen if you are out there if you could please atleast just say hello you are still alive that would be great. We understand if you are holding off releases but just need to make sure you didn't get hit by a truck :)

Looks like he got scared away by the GPL police. :rolleyes:

Alpha2005
July 11th, 2005, 22:00
I understand that sougen isnt posting anymore updates, but by not even posting here that hes even alive anymore is a bit discouraging in supporting this emulator at all.

Due to this, ive moved on to the alternative. Enjoy your fanbase sougen.

QBSamurai
July 12th, 2005, 20:34
I heard a rumor that there is a hack that reverses the update for the psp 1.51. has anybody heard anything about that?

slik da relic
July 12th, 2005, 21:25
yes, they're working on a downgrade code so that u can play any current game u like on the PSP without being permanently locked out of the 1.5 firmware.

i also would like to commend Sougen on the PSPGENESIS emulator. i wish it had full screen support like snes and nes, but thats all i can really say about it. it also was the easiest to get up and runnin for me. im pretty sure he has all the bells and whistles on his PSP right now, laughin his butt off...lol

da relic]

PS. PLEASE COME BACK n GIVE US AN UPDATE ON UR PROGRESS.

Paulk6
July 12th, 2005, 23:07
I'm having some trouble with the emulator. I'm using 1.5, but I did get it all set. The only problem is that I don't know where to put the roms. People have said you can put them anywhere on the PSP, but it's not working for me. Help would be appreciated.

Ziim
July 13th, 2005, 02:16
Put them in a folder called roms, inside the psp genesis folder.
you should be able to find um there! :)

-KarmA-
July 14th, 2005, 05:11
Very impressive Emulator so far. Full screen support like NesterJ and speed/bug ironing and this one will rock.

Mutant League Football works like a charm :) with 333Mhz ... cant wait till you can get EMU to run in 222Mhz and the speed of 333. :D

slik da relic
July 14th, 2005, 20:59
is there anyone else working on the pspgenesis emu?

da relic

parabolee
July 14th, 2005, 20:59
I can't wait for full screen and save states on this so I can play Sensible Soccer on it rather than the (slightly) inferior SNES version.

Cross
July 14th, 2005, 23:20
No one has really heard from him in awhile it seems like the kill joy really may have done this in for us. I am not even sure if he has been online I guess we could check that.

Seems he has not been on since June 23rd..... Hopefully its no the case that he is gone.. possibly moved to a different site?

3elevenX
July 15th, 2005, 07:03
who ever made the comments to make him stop giving updates and what not should be shot.

This emulator rocks!! please come back

Cross
July 15th, 2005, 07:29
ROFL, I think thats alittle harsh. I am sure others feel strongly but not that strongly. But I am also sure the author is happy to see all the backing he has... if he comes back.

3elevenX
July 15th, 2005, 09:20
Ok so it was a little harsh :P but you know what I mean

Kaiser
July 15th, 2005, 20:10
Wow haven't checked this thread in ages.
Still no update?

bummer

sougen
July 16th, 2005, 10:50
Sorry for not posting sooner, but I've been really busy recently (and will be for a while). But I've started working on the emulator again this weekend and will still be releasing test betas.

wraggster
July 16th, 2005, 10:53
awesome news :)

if you need a beta tester im always here :)

Shannon
July 16th, 2005, 11:45
Good to see your alive and well. ;)

BlingShyne2 TAA
July 16th, 2005, 15:20
That's awesome man, I'm still using the last installment of PSPGenesis.

Best emulator so far. Don't keep us waiting! :D

wraggster
July 16th, 2005, 15:25
its mouthwatering to see what will be new. :)

Cap'n 1time
July 16th, 2005, 16:32
it is indeed one of the better emulators... but i really disliked the gui.. i really hope that gets cleaned up.

not here anymore
July 16th, 2005, 17:10
Awesome news indeed!
Please support ZIP files, i beg you on behalf of all of us small MS users ^^
Later,

TSR

slayer2psp
July 16th, 2005, 17:12
full screen would be great thats all it needs. all the games i like run real good on it. great work

slik da relic
July 16th, 2005, 17:54
i think it's safe to say, cats here luv your work on the emu. and for u to be gone for so long without an update and yet, its still the best says alot. i only wish for full screen and 6 button support for the later genesis games.

da relic

Onetonbullet
July 16th, 2005, 18:00
Thanks sougen!

SmashinGit
July 16th, 2005, 18:19
Nice to hear from you, and thanks for all your hard work.

Cross
July 16th, 2005, 18:19
WOOHHOOO!!! He LIVES!!!!!!!! I WANNA TEST IT!!!!!!!!

Ziim
July 16th, 2005, 19:11
My prayers have been answered :p

sougen
July 17th, 2005, 04:00
I have put up a new release of PSPGenesis. This is more of a test to see if people still get the random hangs. I've play tested the emulator for a few hours without any hangs so it looks like that bug is possibly fixed now.

The main changes in this version are:

- Fixed random hangs (hopefully!)
- switched to pspsdk
- Save state support
- Preliminary (unoptimized) Screen Scaling
- (Really ugly) preliminary source release

Currently you can only save/load to one game slot because I don't have an in-game ui, but this will be resolved soon when I rewrite the ui. Please see the readme for the in-game controls for saving/loading and screen scaling (Yes, I know it is a bit fiddly to use at the moment :p )

The main things on my list of todo's currently are
- 6 button support
- zip files
- ingame ui
- display optimisation
- game compatibility fixes
- emulator optimisation

In regards to the source code, you will HAVE TO read the README.TXT file just so you understand why the source was released in such a messy state as the password for the source code is in that file.

(Screenshots and more here http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspgenesis.shtml )

slik da relic
July 17th, 2005, 04:20
i know this mite be a silly question. but, to any wishing to answer, does 'display optimisation' mean full screen support? u gotta dumb it down for me...hehe.

da relic

xanex
July 17th, 2005, 05:11
yeah its full screen...right on the stick makes the screen bigger.....only problem ive had with it was when i used the home button and it made the psp genesis flash on and off until i held the power button

CannedSoup
July 17th, 2005, 05:34
They this is one of the only emus that still doesnt let you return to bios without crashing.

slik da relic
July 17th, 2005, 05:39
u guys r lucky... i cant get it to work... ive tried just extracting the files and putting the folder in the psp. then i tried just replacing the extracted files into pspgenesis 1 of the homebrew file. nothing is workin. what am i doin wrong?

on the 1st statement, u gotta go back to ur rom list 1st. then press home. ive always done that sequence on this emu. press the select button 1st.

da relic

xanex
July 17th, 2005, 08:10
here is what i do

i load up KXploit Tool 0.3 then where it says name i put Sega....then i find the eboot.pbp file...then goto where your memory stick is loaded into your pc (or where your usb cable is hooked too) and then click generate files. Then i go on the memory stick and goto Sega (not sega%) and place the system.fnt file in it. Then i make a rom folder in the Sega folder (again not Sega%) and place my roms in it (optional). it works fine for me. im on 1.50

wraggster
July 17th, 2005, 09:00
Thanks for another great release, now im off to play some Genesis :)

kash
July 17th, 2005, 09:12
This is a godsend....thank you sougen

kyozabe
July 17th, 2005, 10:47
>.< Great release, but Sonic 2 and Knuckles still wont work. (At least it doesn't completely hang)

kyozabe
July 17th, 2005, 12:37
Rockman X3 (pirate) - O - Runs just like the regular pirated cart (BADLY-ROM flaw, not emu)

Revenge Of Shinobi (Version 02) (JUE) [!] - O - Good, no obvious problems

NBA Hangtime (4) - X - I get some strange debug screen... Not sure if it was a rom error, but it wouldn't let me exit back to the Rom Select menu, and When I tried to exit, the debug screen just took on a red tint, and the letters/numbers (which were changing rapidly) grew in size... I had to do a hard reset (remove battery). Also, it gave me the region error screen (Though it showed up a bit buggy, I had to manually set the region to NTSC (US)).

The Lawnmower Man (JUE) - X - Again, not sure if it's a rom flaw, but in this one, the gameplay graphics are FUBAR'd. All you can see properly are the hands, everything else is glitched out (Though the music and the intro is fine)

Garfield: Caught in the Act (C) - ~ - I had to manually set the region in this one as well... (To NTSC) Also, there are a few graphical glitches.

Fatal Fury (U) - O

Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story - O

Beavis and Butthead (U) - O

Back to the Future 3 (JUE) [R-USA] [!] - O

Wolverine - Adamantium Rage (JUE) [!] - O

Sonic Spinball - O

Sunset Riders - O

Shinobi 3 - O

Sonic 3 and Knuckles - O

Ristar - O

Ranger X - O

Pulseman - O

NBA Jam - O

Gunstar Heroes - O

Golden Axe 3 - O

Dick Tracy - O

Contra Hard Corps - O

Edit: Oh, and the PSP always locks up (with a flickering screen) whenever I try to exit the emulator using the Home button (from the emulator menu).

JcBoyCool
July 17th, 2005, 13:15
Very good job sougen. But if i was you i would try to lose the button combo things for the state save and state load and lose the analog stick fixing the screen size. Make a menu like the snes has for all the stuff. That is the only thing i would even consider fixing. Great job. Make another update soon.

Cap'n 1time
July 17th, 2005, 14:31
Rockman X3 (pirate) - O - Runs just like the regular pirated cart (BADLY-ROM flaw, not emu)

ehehehehe.. yes, but it was the greatest and most well made pirate of all time in my opinion.

is this rom legal to distribute online? Is it pd?

sougen
July 17th, 2005, 15:04
Just a small update. I've optimised the display code a little, so you'll notice a speed improvement in all scaling modes now. The emulator should run better than all previous versions.
And JcBoyCool, yeah, the analogue stick and trigger controls is just a temporary measure until a proper ingame ui is written.

(Screenshots etc here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspgenesis.shtml)

SmashinGit
July 17th, 2005, 15:13
Great news :)

kyozabe
July 17th, 2005, 15:45
I really don't know... Technically, it's a fake game, but the fact that it has a licensed title might make it illegal... In any case, I wouldn't bother posting it. It sucks anyway. :p

I'll play Rockman X3 on SNES9X, and Sonic on PSPGen. Simple. -.-

wraggster
July 17th, 2005, 17:42
2 releases in one day, bloody awesome :)

Ziim
July 17th, 2005, 18:44
Dude im so glad your back!! :) Only one concern, in the new release the psp locks up trying to go HOME. Screen flashes and ya have to hard boot the system. Other than the bug its fantastic. Thanks for puttin out the the best Genesis emulator for Psp.

slik da relic
July 17th, 2005, 19:51
i finally got it to work!!! beeeeaaauuuutiful screen stretch... i dont have anything to say but, THK U!!!

da relic

Kaiser
July 17th, 2005, 20:07
Man i just got up and two new releases awsome.

ehehehehe.. yes, but it was the greatest and most well made pirate of all time in my opinion.

is this rom legal to distribute online? Is it pd?

Haha i got that rom on my PSP too. Its a pirate dude so its whole existence is illegal.

Nice so far Sougen I'm gonna test S3&K and see if it saves now.

edit:Hmm still can't get the save feature to work on S3&K however the new screen sizes are very nice. All the sizes still run at full speed on 333Mhz. I welcome the return of SOUGEN KING OF PSP EMULATION (seriously you should consider trying to make snes emulators and the like. You Rock.)

trew01
July 17th, 2005, 21:43
hey sram doesnt work with phantasy star 4 and a few others but oh well awsome emulator. i love the face that you got two releases out in the same day great work and great effort. cant wait to see the next release.

CannedSoup
July 17th, 2005, 22:03
Man i just got up and two new releases awsome.

Haha i got that rom on my PSP too. Its a pirate dude so its whole existence is illegal.

Nice so far Sougen I'm gonna test S3&K and see if it saves now.

edit:Hmm still can't get the save feature to work on S3&K however the new screen sizes are very nice. All the sizes still run at full speed on 333Mhz. I welcome the return of SOUGEN KING OF PSP EMULATION (seriously you should consider trying to make snes emulators and the like. You Rock.)Snes is a much more advance system and would take much more power and effort. Genesis is a really easy system to emulate and thats why you're seeing such good results so early on.

trew01
July 17th, 2005, 22:21
Snes is a much more advance system and would take much more power and effort. Genesis is a really easy system to emulate and thats why you're seeing such good results so early on.

oh hush you i dont see you working on an emulator for sega. and they may be diffrent systems but they are both tough to emulate regardless of what you say. it all depends on the coder and programer. i hate it when people bad mouth others hard work.

way to go again with the emulator!

slik da relic
July 17th, 2005, 22:53
Snes is a much more advance system and would take much more power and effort. Genesis is a really easy system to emulate and thats why you're seeing such good results so early on.

that may be tru... but uosnes9x is great already... i really dont need and update of that until i see some problems... put the frames skip at 2, the screen at width x2, and the speed at 333, and im good to go.

da relic

Cap'n 1time
July 17th, 2005, 23:16

actually, thats not true. genesis was slightly more powerfull than the snes. I am not sure you meant advance in terms of of which system was more powerfull or in terms of which emulator is the easiest to port... and that brings me to another point.

it is not as simple as "it is easier to emulate" these are ports. the authors of these ports do nothing except make them run on the hardware... usually its the simplicity of the source that make things easy to port or not...

does that mean dgen or whatever this is a port of was more supportive of the psp hardware then snes9x? I dont know... but its not as simple as your trying to make it.

kyozabe
July 17th, 2005, 23:35
So, Sougen, 32x support soon?

Kaiser
July 17th, 2005, 23:58
Ya dude Genesis was quite a bit faster around 5-6 times faster. itjust didn't have the pallete like the Snes as the genesis could only muster a 64 colours on the screen at once.

Also found a large bug in the emulator when I return from a game by using select it gets fuzzy and freezes. i have to take the battery out in order to start my PSP up again.

ganon
July 18th, 2005, 00:01
Ya dude Genesis was quite a bit faster around 5-6 times faster. itjust didn't have the pallete like the Snes as the genesis could only muster a 64 colours on the screen at once.

Also found a large bug in the emulator when I return from a game by using select it gets fuzzy and freezes. i have to take the battery out in order to start my PSP up again.

damn i aint gonna try this

Raiser
July 18th, 2005, 00:23
Great job so far! This emulator is really looking good!

I just wanted to notify you of a couple of games that aren't working properly.

Lemmings (any version) works, but has a strange bug where the top half of the status bar will not scroll with the rest of the screen. It doesn't really affect gameplay much except for the fact that you have to scroll to the very left of the level to see how much time and lemmings you have, but it's still annoying.

Soldiers of Fortune (U)/The Chaos Engine (E) crashes the emulator when you try to load it. In the older versions of the emulator, the screen would go black and the PSP would turn off. In v1.6, you get a blue screen with some code/memory values, which you cannot exit from unless you turn off the PSP.

Also, didn't the older versions let you adjust the frameskip? I can't seem to find that option is 1.6, and I'd rather have a game like Sonic 3D Blast run a little slower instead of choppier.

Regardless of those problems, this emulator is coming along nicely, and I'm looking forward to future releases.

slik da relic
July 18th, 2005, 00:26
when ur goin to another emulator, go straight from the game to the home button. if ur changing genesis games, just press select. genesis is the sports and side scroller console due to its fast processor, but it did have a few rpgs that was tight. shining, phantasy, landstalker. those were great games.

da relic

Terial
July 18th, 2005, 01:30
SOUGEN! WHAOMG!
awesome work man ^_^. I love all the screen sizes. Save sate... don't work, lol. You still need a way to get back in game if you hit select and go to the om selector. But I LOVE that the hangup is gone. And I dont recall having a problem with getting back to the OS. I used the 1.15 version all day on the ride to Busch Gardens, and got really far in Sonic 2 w/o the hangup! W00t for me. This is such a great emulator ^_^ I give you great props. you = PSP King!

PSP = immense power of the sun.
Sougen = Apollo!

=D
thanks for the great fix man! I mean... your highness.... now, time to try v1.16!
and thanks so much for giving us another great release sir!

ant75
July 18th, 2005, 01:44
Congratulations for this 0.16 build of genesis emulator, and especially for the Save/Load states which is working very well.

I have tried some games, they all seems to are 100% good emulated. Anyway I have noticed that the framerate is low with the game "Quack Shot". And there is an issue at the end of "Street of Rage 1", after have defeated the final boss of stage 8, it's impossible to pass the score screen, counting points don't want to stop.

CannedSoup
July 18th, 2005, 01:46
About all this speed crap. Genesis acurracy in emulation can be much less and still run games where as snes has to next to excate. Genesis is just a simpler hardware to emulate. Ask some DC coders. Plus Snes has much harder sound and graphic chips to emulate not to mention all the special chips. Snes was around 4mhz and genesis was 6. I'm not 100% sure on those and i really dont care to check the tech faq. Genesis = stronger cpu, snes = stronger video and audio.

Smiths
July 18th, 2005, 02:11
Sougen this is amazing work please keep it up.
And I agree about the source bullshit... thanks for releasing it but dizzamn what a mess! :)
I think I'll hold off tweaking it for a bit.

But tweaks I would want to work on mainly concern my fave game NHL 94:

When the YM processor is used for sound (organ music, crowd cheers), the frame rate takes a major hit. When there is no organ music playing (the chip is idle) it's full-speed @ 333MHz.
I guess optimizations to the YM code is on the todo list.

Also, SRAM saving doesn't work on that title. I think it used a different battery saving method.

Keep it up, I look forward to tweaking :)
Rigt now I'm getting errors compiling the source, even though I have the latest pspsdk installed (just svn'd it yesterday).

dman32
July 18th, 2005, 03:35
When trying to go back to the psp home menu it will flicker and then turn the system off. Other than that its great...and I look forward to the UI update.

Kaiser
July 18th, 2005, 03:39
Genesis

Main CPU: 16-Bit Motorola M68000 16 bit processor running at 7.67 MHz
Sound SPU: Zilog Z80A running at 3.58 MHz¹
RAM: 64 Kbytes
ROM: 1 Mbyte (8 Mbit)
Video RAM: 64 Kbytes
Graphics: VDP (Video Display Processor) dedicated VDP for playfield and sprite control
3 Planes, 2 Scrolling Playfields, 1 Sprite Plane

SNES

CPU: Nintendo custom '5A22', believed to be produced by Ricoh; based around a 16-bit CMD/GTE 65c816 (a predecessor of the WDC65C816). The CPU runs the 65c816-alike core with a variable-speed bus, with bus access times determined by addresses accessed, with a clockspeed of 3.58 MHz. The SNES/SFC provided the CPU with 128 KB of Work RAM.

Yes the Snes is harder to emulate but not because of its more advanced then the Genesis but because of the custom chipsets Nintendo uses as well as all the custom chips many game developers used on the carts them selves.

(such as the C4 chip for Mega Man X2 and 3)

That i can agree with you Canned Soup on the part about it being harder to emulate. But please do not say its because the Snes is a "much more advanced" console. Anyway this is gone off topic so I'll end this argument here. :)

CannedSoup
July 18th, 2005, 04:23
Because advance isnt a good way to describle advance chipsets and special hardware that extremly hard to emulate. *rolls eyes*

Kaiser
July 18th, 2005, 04:41
Because advance isnt a good way to describle advance chipsets and special hardware that extremly hard to emulate. *rolls eyes*

No because "advance chipsets" and "special hardware" doesn't really mean anything. Next time have facts to back your argument.

CannedSoup
July 18th, 2005, 04:58
Stop being a jackass, everyone got the ****ing point.

Kaiser
July 18th, 2005, 06:10
okay, okay calm down. End of discussion.

Cross
July 18th, 2005, 06:27
Yikes, well atleast I am not the only one who runs into this occasionally lol. :p

slik da relic
July 18th, 2005, 06:35
i dont care about all that stuff... its about RIGHT NOW!!! and with the right coder, we might eventually see dreamcast (or ps1) on this thing. pls no reasons why not... lets just thk about that one with a smile. :) every console has overcame its "limitations" in the past, and im not about to give up on this one.

da relic

kyozabe
July 18th, 2005, 12:34
Yeah, uh, there is barely a DC emulator for the PC. I *highly* doubt that one will *ever* be released for the PSP. So, yeah, just get rid of any and all hope you might have had for one, relic.

xanex
July 18th, 2005, 15:13
the dc emulator on the pc runs fine for me....every game ive tried on its work....yeah some maybe slow but others work fine

slik da relic
July 18th, 2005, 18:44
Yeah, uh, there is barely a DC emulator for the PC. I *highly* doubt that one will *ever* be released for the PSP. So, yeah, just get rid of any and all hope you might have had for one, relic.

yep... and the Yankess were supposed to beat the Red Sox last year in the playoffs. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

DA RELIC

Raiser
July 18th, 2005, 20:39
yep... and the Yankess were supposed to beat the Red Sox last year in the playoffs. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

DA RELIC

Now, I'm no expert on coding emulators, but what does the probability of one baseball them beating another in the playoffs have to do with the capabilities of the PSP vs the hardware specs of the Dreamcast? The PSP is a beast in the hardware department, but not only does its hardware have to be more powerful than the Dreamcast, its hardware has to be miles ahead of the Dreamcast in order to be able to emulate the DC's hardware, unless it uses similar processors that can run the DC's code almost natively. (correct me if I'm wrong.)

An N64 or PS1 emulator is a little more likely, but it's doubtful that they will fare very well either. Besides, think of the strain on the already weak battery!

Kingtj
July 18th, 2005, 20:50
Why are you even talking about a dc emulator in a sega genesis emulator thread?

slik da relic
July 18th, 2005, 22:01
the reason i brought up the yankees/red sox? yankees were up 3 games to 0... yet lost 4 games to 3... thats all. it can happen. just ask Buster Douglas...lol

da relic