PDA

View Full Version : Question about Battery Life when charging

kryst abegnalie
July 18th, 2007, 03:11
Hi,

Im a newbie about PSP hardware and stuffs so here it goes..

I have already own a PSP purchased last two weeks. My question is this. If you charge the PSP even when the Battery is not drained, can it cause battery life performance in minimal.(example, your battery has still 50% and you charge it right ahead.) Will the battery decreases its battery life??? Will I drain it before I recharge the battery.

Thanks...:)

Safari Al
July 18th, 2007, 03:18
Not that i know of. I think you can just charge it when its at 50 or hatever and it'll fully charge. Correct me if im wrong

kryst abegnalie
July 18th, 2007, 03:34
Thanks for the reply..

I mean is if you charge it above 50%, does the battery life performance decreases if the battery haven't been drained out to 0%.

bah
July 18th, 2007, 09:58
I don't think lithium-ion batteries suffer the memory effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect) as NiCd cells did (although according to that article they didn't really...) so recharging without a full discharge should be fine.

I don't know if 2 1/2 discharge - 1/2 recharge cycles counts as 1 or 2 cycles, but all rechargeable batteries will slowly hold less charge with each cycle.
Li-ion batteries will get worse even if they're still unused in their original packaging from the company. There really should be cell-manufactured dates on phone batteries etc.

From the article:
"All rechargeable batteries have a finite lifespan and will slowly lose storage capacity as they age due to secondary chemical reactions within the battery whether it is used or not. Lithium ion batteries can lose 5%-10% of their storage capacity every year from the time of manufacture.

All rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles and will lose a very small amount of storage capacity during each cycle. Typically, rechargeable batteries are rated for hundreds or thousands of cycles."

I really wouldn't worry, I've had my PSP since Dec 05 and I keep it fully charged all the time so its ready to go when needed. Often after only 15-20 minutes of use.
The longest I have really used it for lately was watching videos from the memory stick while in hospital and it was still over 50% full after 3 or so hours of playback with full screen brightness and an hour or so of music playback.

kryst abegnalie
July 19th, 2007, 02:24
Wow, thanks for the useful info. Now I dont worry about how many times I charge my battery. I will buy new Li-ion battery if the battery was worn out and unusable. Well I will continue to play with my PSP. Thanks for the response.

:thumbup: