PDA

View Full Version : What is Devhook exactly?

moto2000
July 18th, 2007, 11:32
Ive been reading about devhook, but am not sure what it is used for or how to use it...can somebody explain in detail what it is exactly? If i had 3.40OE firmware, would I still need devhook?

searching didnt really help much...

Thanks in advance!

Chameleon
July 18th, 2007, 11:36
when your on 1.5 it allows you to emulate a higher firmware... this was all before custom firmwares.

The reason for it was to get the media capabilities of the higher firmware without having to upgrade, and also to load isos that require a higher firmware to run.

Their is no reason that you need devhook, their are no benifits in it for you... since you have a custom firmware

-Xandu-
July 18th, 2007, 11:37
Devhook is a firmware emulator made by BOOSTER that was used to load 2.XX firmwares on 1.50 before OE was introduced.

So no, you wouldn't need Devhook on an OE firmware.

b8a
July 18th, 2007, 13:07
If i had 3.40OE firmware, would I still need devhook?!
You don't ever really need Devhook, but it does come in handy sometimes.

On custom firmwares one of the big limitations is that software is flashed to the built-in memory. That memory runs out pretty quick. Since Devhook runs firmware completely from the memory stick (instead of the default built-in memory), it's only limited by the size of the memory stick it's being used from. This means that even if you are running custom firmware, you can use Devhook to emulate a different firmware version to access official features that may have been removed from your custom firmware version.

Devhook is also handy for testing any sort of built-in flash modifications (like XMB mods). Since it runs from the memory stick, you can muck about with Devhook's flash files as much as you want without ever worrying about bricking your PSP.

The big drawback to Devhook though is that the highest firmware it can currently emulate is 3.11. Booster's a custom firmware supporter, so Devhook may never be updated again. But then again, there haven't been any real updates since 3.0, so maybe he's just waiting for some firmware development that's worth putting an update out for.