PDA

View Full Version : Questions about POPstation and the base.pbp file

Timstuff
July 19th, 2007, 02:29
Okay, I know from researching that the base.pbp file is actually the pbp for the PSN version of Hot Shots Golf 2. However, the version that's currently availible on PSN does not play on PSPs with firmware lower than 3.50, so that implies to me that Sony was aware of the exploit, and patched the game as a result. So now I'm getting the game *ehem* elsewhere.

However, I just want to make sure that this is actually necessary, because it's taking a long friggin time to download from a torrent. I ended up buying HSG2 off of PSN just so I'd legitimately own it (lol, actually it was because at the time, I didn't know better), but I'm not going to risk screwing up my PSP again by trying to use it as the base.pbp for POPstation, because at least I got the pre-made Resident Evil 3 port I d/led running again. It worked fine this morning, but as soon as I tried to run the "port" of Chrono Trigger I made using the PSN version of HSG2, it didn't work, and RE3 stopped working too. After over an hour of tinkering with the recovery utility, reinstalling 3.40oe-a, and then doing all that over after messing up the first time, RE3 finally works again, and I don't want to risk messing that up by making the same mistake twice!

Sorry if this was kind of long-winded and useless in some people's eyes, but I really needed to vent, and I just want to know if I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm just being paranoid after getting frustrated one too many times.

Tetris999
July 19th, 2007, 05:46
Okay, I know from researching that the base.pbp file is actually the pbp for the PSN version of Hot Shots Golf 2. However, the version that's currently availible on PSN does not play on PSPs with firmware lower than 3.50, so that implies to me that Sony was aware of the exploit, and patched the game as a result. So now I'm getting the game *ehem* elsewhere.

However, I just want to make sure that this is actually necessary, because it's taking a long friggin time to download from a torrent. I ended up buying HSG2 off of PSN just so I'd legitimately own it (lol, actually it was because at the time, I didn't know better), but I'm not going to risk screwing up my PSP again by trying to use it as the base.pbp for POPstation, because at least I got the pre-made Resident Evil 3 port I d/led running again. It worked fine this morning, but as soon as I tried to run the "port" of Chrono Trigger I made using the PSN version of HSG2, it didn't work, and RE3 stopped working too. After over an hour of tinkering with the recovery utility, reinstalling 3.40oe-a, and then doing all that over after messing up the first time, RE3 finally works again, and I don't want to risk messing that up by making the same mistake twice!

Sorry if this was kind of long-winded and useless in some people's eyes, but I really needed to vent, and I just want to know if I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm just being paranoid after getting frustrated one too many times.

ummmmmmmm what?

explain it in one sentence i cant understand that it runs around all over the place......

Timstuff
July 19th, 2007, 06:12
Basically, would I be correct to assume that the version of Hot Shots Golf 2 currently being offered on PSN would not work as the base.pbp and keys.bin files in Popstation?

Not that it really matters anymore... I'll be done downloading the older version of HSG2 by tomorrow morning if all goes well.

Tetris999
July 19th, 2007, 06:21
Basically, would I be correct to assume that the version of Hot Shots Golf 2 currently being offered on PSN would not work as the base.pbp and keys.bin files in Popstation?

Not that it really matters anymore... I'll be done downloading the older version of HSG2 by tomorrow morning if all goes well.

i havent heard of such a patch

but knowing sony i assure you if they did, it will not work

get the older one

and seeing how you have it legally and if you cant get it contact me on msn

Timstuff
July 19th, 2007, 19:51
Well, the version of HSG2 I just finished downloading works just fine as the base file, and I've already "ported" several games over that run just fine. Thanks anyways, guys. :)

And for future reference, at least we now know that the PSN version of HSG2 that's currently availible at the PS store does NOT work with POPstation (in fact, if you try to use it for the base, it could eff up your PSP's firmware pretty good).