PDA

View Full Version : overclocking the psp

shadowprophet
June 19th, 2005, 01:23
I have some questions I would like cleared up, if anyone that knows the answers has the time.

Question number one. Is 333 the maximum of the psp's processor or is 266, meaning running it at 333 mhz is already overclocking it?

Question number two.Is it safe in people on the knows opinion, to run the psp at 333 mhz for long periods of time?

Question number three. If so, is it possible and safe to overclock the processor beyond 333 mhz ?

Btw, im sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum topic.
The hacking/development forum seemed to be the place where people that would most likely know the answers to my questions would be.:D

Spark
June 19th, 2005, 02:27
Well usually if you overclock a PC, and it has inadequate hardware/cooling, it will lock up after a short period of time. If the right solutions are there, and the hardware can take it, then you should be fine.

People have ran apps at 333 on the PSP for literally hours, and there has yet to be one reported case of a PSP malfunctioning because of this. The only result of running the system at this speed is obviously a loss in battery life.

I think pushing things any further than 333 for the time being could prove to be a bit of a mistake though, but by today's hardware modding standards, nothing is really impossible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BlingShyne2 TAA
June 19th, 2005, 06:49
333 Mhz is the PSP's normal speed.

Sony is supposedly supposed to release a firmware in the future to let the PSP run at this speed.

The reason they are waiting to do this I think is because there battery is pretty shitty.

I'm sure SONY is going to release a higher quality battery, and until they do, I don't think there going to release the firmware to set the processor right.

I know that my PSP only lasts about 4 hours when I play these emulators at 333 Mhz. :(

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 12:59
333mhz is the normal speed, If i remeber correctly... Isn't the psp "Uncaped" which means it is possible to go beyond 333mhz, also arent sony using the PS2 processor on this baby? Defenetly could go above and beyond, but the battery life... I have psp 1.5 and was finaly able to get homebrew running (so if thats possible i guess anything is.)

consoul
June 19th, 2005, 14:35
Sony is supposedly supposed to release a firmware in the future to let the PSP run at this speed.

No they won't. The restriction isn't in the firmware, it's in the development libraries. The PSP is already fully capable of running at 333MHz with any of the current firmware releases. For more detail on the 222Mhz clockspeed cap read this (http://consoul.blogspot.com/2005/04/unlocking-psps-future.html).

WSOUNitePirate895
June 19th, 2005, 14:48
wow thanks for that article, so that ends this debate as far as I am concerned

MadMonkee
June 26th, 2005, 13:18
333 Mhz is the PSP's normal speed.

The reason they are waiting to do this I think is because there battery is pretty shitty.

I'm sure SONY is going to release a higher quality battery, and until they do, I don't think there going to release the firmware to set the processor right.

I know that my PSP only lasts about 4 hours when I play these emulators at 333 Mhz. :(

Do what I did. Go to WallMart, buy a PSP. Take it. Download the Firmware update. While it's flashing the BIOS, take out the battery and disconnect the power. Now that you have the PSP intentionally ****ed up. Go back to WallMart with the reciept and box. Give everything BUT the battery. They never notice since they think it's in the PSP still. And since you paid cash you got your money back aswell. Tadaa you got a new battery for free, LOL

Cross
June 26th, 2005, 17:11
...thats ok on the battery thing I will just wait for the better one to come out. And as for the question of 333 being normal I think thats been covered however has anyone tried finding out if it can go even further beyond?

MBlunter
June 30th, 2005, 07:13
how do you overclock the psp

nexis2600
July 1st, 2005, 17:26
Some tidbits.

I did a short sofware test trying to push above 333 but i see no difference which leads me to believe it wont accept past 333. I will have to play with it some more.

tanner090
July 6th, 2005, 04:38
Currently, the psp is running at 222MhZ which is 2 thirds. This is not becuase of the games or the firmware but because of the battery. At time of the release sony only had developed a battery that could run for a couple hour at 333MhZ. I have heard about recalls of all psp's and will be sent a new stronger battery, but you wont get any higher life. The reason that they wouldnt make you buy the battery is because they did specify that it was running at a lower speed.
This is news that has recently been found. But I'm pretty sure that we will see games that are better faster and stronger in the future with know charge to us. The thing that it would most improve would be the load times which at this time, is the worst thing about the psp.

Tanner

consoul
July 6th, 2005, 14:24
Some tidbits.

I did a short sofware test trying to push above 333 but i see no difference which leads me to believe it wont accept past 333. I will have to play with it some more.

Thanks nexis2600, I've been curious about the potential for overclocking through the software.

kash
July 7th, 2005, 09:34
so the only disadvanage to boosting the psp to 333mhz is a loss in battery life?

PSP_Newbie
July 8th, 2005, 11:00
yes kash, thats right, the only real disadvantage to running on 333mhz is a significant battery drain, which will hopefully be fixed soon with a better battery (tho ive already seen several 3rd party external battery packs and the like)
but until sony gives the OK, no 333mhz official games for us :(

MarnieR
July 16th, 2005, 04:08
I tried to run NBA Showdown and Tiger Woods at 333 w/ the 2.5e annd neither of them launched... I am running the actual UMD not a pirated version.. I was just tring to reduce load times!

zxxxy18
January 26th, 2009, 12:32
Well. Why cant we add a better quartz crystal with possibility to change a speed with a small switch and add one of those tiny mills=D?

ICE
January 26th, 2009, 16:02
Holy crap 4 year bump ftw