PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Client for NDS?

Kojote
July 20th, 2007, 00:12
Via DEV-FR.org (http://www.dev-fr.org/):

"A few months ago on the Maxconsole forums we came with the idea that there should be a Bittorrent Client that can run on the DS. I had completely forgoten about it until yesterday and I look around and found an opensource mini-library called libtorrent. It is desgined to run on machines with lower than normal resources (like the NDS) and it is opensource which means that porting it should be a bit easier. I am going to check into it to see if I can get it to compile using the devKitARM compiler. Please do note: I am not promising ANYTHING. If I do get the lib to compile I still don’t know if I am going to put a gui on it. Either way you should hear from me again about this in the next few days."

Source: http://blogs.moddz.com/nat1192

-Xandu-
July 20th, 2007, 00:23
Pretty useless idea, I wouldn't leave my DS overnight to download a file that's like 1 GB~

zauberer
July 20th, 2007, 01:11
The only idea to this is (and hoping to be fastest than regular Wi-Fi) download homebrew, backups, etc.

Only if it's going to be fastest could be a good idea, in case it wont: we have DSOrganize.

Still good concept, I need to make a torrent with some DPG files now. xD

Nold
July 20th, 2007, 01:47
That's so crazy *~*
i thing on eMule DS, FireFox DS, Azureus DS :D:D:D and everything like that .. it don't have to be usefull... just have it ^^

Mr_Biggs
July 20th, 2007, 03:16
that would come in handy for my dialup-screwed ass. just leave a torrent running in a WiFi area and pick up the DS later if it's at someone else's house. or i could just play around on the McDonald's playplace while im waiting for a d/l. :D

Kaeruyaki
July 20th, 2007, 08:46
sounds interesting at the least.

Adrenalin
July 20th, 2007, 09:40
dunno about wifi homebrew working at hotspots. i sure hope it can work. i've head there are problems.

naruto777
July 20th, 2007, 11:13
Would you go ahead and wait four hours at a hotspot to download something? But this would be quite useful. Most movies range to lower than 500MB, and anime and show episodes are all about under 70MB. But, then again, think of that homebrew database on DSO. It's not always gonna stay connected overnight. Great idea, though, and I wish y'all luck.

Adrenalin
July 20th, 2007, 12:22
Oh and somehow i think hotspots probably won't the right ports open for BT to function ideally.

Personally i'm more interested in a http downloading app or irc dcc downloads/transfers (which freeman said he was working on last time i saw him speak about ircds)

Django2
July 20th, 2007, 14:05
amazing :D :D :D

x999x
July 20th, 2007, 16:04
Pretty useless idea, I wouldn't leave my DS overnight to download a file that's like 1 GB~

You mean to say it's "Pretty useless idea for large files."

For small files, this could be an awesome alternative for homebrew distribution.

The only thing that intrigues me is how exactly you'd get torrents onto the DS. If you're dragging and dropping them in from a host computer, it would make more sense to just download the target file on the host in the fist place.

XDelusion
July 20th, 2007, 19:18
Wow, now I can watch my DS slow to a crawl too! Or soon I shall anyhow! :)

Sonny_Jim
July 20th, 2007, 20:27
I was going to port a Bittorrent client to DSLinux but I couldn't find anything that didn't have huge dependancies.

gronne
July 20th, 2007, 22:14
When I read this I got interested in it because all the common torrent-clients are slow as hell on my 1ghz-pc(believe me I've chosen not to have a better one).. So I downloaded Arctic, which uses the libtorrent, and I've got to say it's pretty efficient compared to the others... Though this one doesn't have any options at all really.

Anyway, I still doubt the NDS would have enough power for it, but please prove me wrong(eventhough I'll never use it).

toagac
January 15th, 2009, 23:16
I would really like to see somthing like this on NDS. If might be true that it would be a waste of time for large files, but let's face it, DSOrganize isn't extreamly compatible with downloads and using somthing with specifications like torrents might really help people find good homebrew.

DanTheManMS
January 16th, 2009, 00:12
I believe Sonny_Jim actually did manage to port a command-line Bittorrent client to the DS. Check the DSLinux forums and see if you can find anything about it.