PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim advantages for homebrew

roylazarovich
July 21st, 2007, 11:45
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post on the PSP side of the forums.

I've been a DS owner for a year or so now, and I love it, but unlike most DS Fanboys I can appreciate the advantages of the PSP and I've been wanting to buy one for some time, especially for emulation as it is probably the most powerful handheld thus far.

The news of the PSP Slim made me think that it would be better for me to wait until it's released, I don't really mind the cosmetic improvements, not even the TV-Out which is most people's selling point, for me, it seems that the extra 32 MB of RAM could give the system even more possibilities when it comes to emulation, especially with DosBox, as it might up the bar on what games can be emulated as games became more RAM hungry over the course of life of the DOS.

On the other hand, I've heared some say that the real reason for the redesign is to put an end to the homebrew scene, and there is currently no way to know if homebrew will be able to thrive on the PSP Slim as it does on the current model.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on this, do you think the PSP Slim will be an emulation powerhouse even more so than the current PSP?, or do you think the current PSP is the last sanctuary for PSP homebrew?

Thanks.

b8a
July 21st, 2007, 12:14
I don't think anyone's going to know for sure if there's any hope of running homebrew on the slim model until after it's out. But since it's coming out in just a little over a month (in Europe, two months for Japan/North America), there's a very good chance that Sony started producing them before the Lumines exploit was released. If that's the case, then the first batch of PSP Slims will almost certainly be homebrew compatible (although they might not be downgradable. Downgradability will depend on the hardware)

Personally, I'd say that you've picked a perfect time to look into buying a PSP. Just wait until the Slim comes out, see what the PSP community has to say about it's level of homebrew compatibility, and then go out and buy an older model (there's guaranteed to be some left on the shelves for a few months) if it's incompatible. Since Sony is discontinuing the older model, and all of the older models are 100% homebrew compatible, you'll be guaranteed to get one that works. Having a smaller, lighter PSP with extra memory would be nice, but yeah, there's no real reason to excessively lust after the Slim model. The current model is light enough and small enough as it is, and homebrew compatibility deffinitely trumps the other changes. If the Slim model is homebrew compatible however, then by all means, get one of them. Who knows, video out might come in handy some day (!o!)

splodger15
July 21st, 2007, 13:33
They will be patched

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 21st, 2007, 15:21
ya, The noobz will just have to find another game to make the new psp downgradeable!:thumbup: :thumbup: I heard form somewhere that there is 10 games that there can be an explot for. GTA And Lumines being only to of them. Or i could be wrong and it will be totaly locked up. Eather way only time will tell or the homebrew scene finds a way. like usual:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cloudhunter
July 21st, 2007, 15:22
I don't think anyone's going to know for sure if there's any hope of running homebrew on the slim model until after it's out. But since it's coming out in just a little over a month (in Europe, two months for Japan/North America), there's a very good chance that Sony started producing them before the Lumines exploit was released. If that's the case, then the first batch of PSP Slims will almost certainly be homebrew compatible (although they might not be downgradable. Downgradability will depend on the hardware)

Personally, I'd say that you've picked a perfect time to look into buying a PSP. Just wait until the Slim comes out, see what the PSP community has to say about it's level of homebrew compatibility, and then go out and buy an older model (there's guaranteed to be some left on the shelves for a few months) if it's incompatible. Since Sony is discontinuing the older model, and all of the older models are 100% homebrew compatible, you'll be guaranteed to get one that works. Having a smaller, lighter PSP with extra memory would be nice, but yeah, there's no real reason to excessively lust after the Slim model. The current model is light enough and small enough as it is, and homebrew compatibility deffinitely trumps the other changes. If the Slim model is homebrew compatible however, then by all means, get one of them. Who knows, video out might come in handy some day (!o!)

You're forgetting that firmware can be upgraded.

It WILL have 3.60 or higher.

Cloudy

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 21st, 2007, 15:24
hey mabe you are lucky and get a release that was produced before lumines explot with 3.50 firmware or the 3.60 fimware is still unpatched with lumines.

cal360
July 21st, 2007, 15:25
Well they will have a higher firmware and there's also a big chance they've put some new 'homebrew Proof' hardware in it

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 21st, 2007, 16:19
^ True they will just hack it like usual then we will have 3.60 M33 on are new psps.YAY

king_of_metal
July 21st, 2007, 16:23
These PSPs aren't going to be homebrew capable for a while. It has been confirmed that the models that are out now given to a select few people have 3.60 on them.

roylazarovich
July 21st, 2007, 16:53
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, the best solution would be to wait a few months and see what the scene comes up with, from my short look into the PSP scene I gathered that there are plenty of talented hackers around.

And I'm not anxious to buy right now as I already have my DS to take care of my portable gaming needs.

What do you guys say about the 64 MB RAM? it sounds to me like it should definately come in handy, however I'm not too familiar with how the PSP work and it might only be used internally by the PSP to move data from UMD to the system and not actually be available to the homebrew coders, what are you thoughts on that?

ICE
July 21st, 2007, 16:56
dont count on the lumines exploit being there. it wont be. we'll need a new exploit.

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 21st, 2007, 19:50
oh well. Another day, another game, another exploit.
Thats my theory

xg917
July 22nd, 2007, 06:55
noobz already explained that ther isnt going to be a new exploit that involves another game for a longggggg time..

Mr. Moneybags
July 22nd, 2007, 07:41
I am very upset at n00bz. They should have waited for the new PSP to come out. It was inevitable. It would have been 99% likely the Lumines exploit would have worked on 3.60 or whatever firmware it would've been if n00bz hadn't had released the exploit so soon.

V3N0M
July 22nd, 2007, 08:53
Well I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the exploit works on the new PSP Slim models that doesn't automatically mean that it can be downgraded. It took a long time and a lot of hard work until TA-082 & TA-086 PSP's could be downgraded properly without bricking. I can honestly see homebrew running on the PSP Slim within a few months after it's release because we have some of the most talented hackers in the PSP scene. They will find a way..

b8a
July 22nd, 2007, 12:48
What do you guys say about the 64 MB RAM? it sounds to me like it should definately come in handy, however I'm not too familiar with how the PSP work and it might only be used internally by the PSP to move data from UMD to the system and not actually be available to the homebrew coders, what are you thoughts on that?
It'll undoubtedly come in handy. But I don't know how much of an impact it's going to have on the homebrew scene, even if exploits are found for the Slim. PSP homebrew already has some masterpiece software titles, and more often then not, we've seen that thoughtful planning and coder resourcefulness has been able to overcome many of the PSP's current (apparent) limitations. I'm sure all developers would love to have more RAM to work with, but the quality of the current body of software more then prooves that it's not nessecarily a limiting factor. On top of that, a lot of the possible "killer" aps have already been released and working steady, so it's a little hard to imagine a coder undertaking a project requiring the 64 MB of memory now.

Note however that the PSP has two types of main memory: flash and RAM. Both of these are currently 32MB, and I haven't seen anything that deffinitively states that the 64MB number applies to flash, RAM, or both. Since the picture of the documentation that I've seen simply says "Main Memory: 64MB", I'm a little skeptical that Sony might possibly be lumping the flash and RAM into the same figure (not likely, but we've seen bigger blunders), which would mean that the new PSP would have the exact same memory as the current model. Also, if the 64MB figure only applies to flash memory, then it's really not likely to impact homebrew much at all. Though, since Sony said that they added features to decrease UMD loading time, the 64MB figure that is being talked about really is most likely RAM. (If anybody has any links to credible information that clearly differentiates what type of memory is being talked about by the 64MB figure, please post them)

kharaboudjan
July 22nd, 2007, 13:25
thats really interresting b8a!

i had the same thought as the threadstarter about 64 MB. perhaps N64 emu will run properly with double RAM. but perhaps it wont help that much either...

we will see what happens.. and if it does an impact on the homebrew scene will all the coders have to do new homebrew versions of there works or will they just runs fast with more memory?

roylazarovich
July 22nd, 2007, 14:39
I doubt that they'd need to rewrite anything, it's still the same system, and I also don't think there will be a speed improvement, as these usually depend on the CPU and GPU rather than RAM, but I would think that more RAM hungry games would be able to run.

MattZani
July 22nd, 2007, 21:14
I'll be picking up a near launch model and keeping it on 3.6 until CFW comes out for it, besides, i'll still have atleast 2 PSP's to run homebrew on, the Slim will be for UMD's.

Mr. Bungle
July 22nd, 2007, 21:32
I don't usually post my thoughts but what I'm thinking is how would 3.60 on the new psp slim be downgraded? The new mother board probably only supports 3.60 and no lower (I might be wrong about this and I hope that I am). Sure it could probably exploited but it would probably only be able to run HENs. I guess it would have to be patched or something in order to be downgraded just like the other motherboards. Oh and also I hope that sony doesn't start going back and start rechecking it's games to see if any of them can exploit this new psp 'cause then they would just release patched games and we would have a long way to go before sony makes another mistake that we can take advantage of. Well those are my thoughts.

MattZani
July 22nd, 2007, 21:42
Well, they find an exploit, then don't release it, crack the new Slim Fw, then Release a double shot! Hopefully they'll wait till version 4.0, when we'll see some real cool stuff!

Haisook
July 22nd, 2007, 21:49
I think Sony has added a hardware mod which would render the PSP useless (aka a brick) if a downgrade attempt was done. That way, whatever exploit they try to make, it would be useless. This will ultimately end the homebrew scene in the new PSPs.

xg917
July 23rd, 2007, 00:31
they will find a way around that. they found away around ta-082 psps by changing the idstorage. there should be away to get around these new psps

ICE
July 23rd, 2007, 00:38
it will happen at some point. just dont hold your breath too long...

mike_jmg
July 23rd, 2007, 18:46
64 MB RAM, sounds like a gift from heaven if hackers get to unlock it, as you've said it is probably only for moving data from the UMD and reduce Loading times

But I think it will happen

Remember we've been using the psp processor at 333mhz frecuency for a long time

As someone posted, I also think that Noobz team have a lot more game exploits that haven't been released yet

Also with the return of CFW by team M33 (I just love that thing), we can expect they will make a new one for the psp slim

Hope all of this happens and daedalus gets to work full speed with the extra RAM

JAKETHESNAKE28
July 23rd, 2007, 19:22
^^ you are right. I am excited too!
P.S. I am the one that said there are more games to come.(10) total- 2 known. 8 more game exploits! YAYAY!