PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Honcam Wireless Controller Review

jinqui242
July 22nd, 2007, 13:12
I just bought the Honcam PS3 & PC Wireless Controller. For those who liked the boomerang design, this is pretty close and a nice alternative (but not full replacement) to the Sixaxis. It uses wireless RF 2.4 GHz and plugs into a USB port on the PS3. It is powered by three AAA batteries. I wish it used AA because the only thing I have AAA for is my TV remote.

It took me awhile to pair the receiver and controller. There are no instructions in the packaging, so you're on your own there. I kept trying to press connect on both parts and all of the lights kept blinking. I turned the system off and on again, then pressed the PS button and it seemed to pair automatically. I believe if you press the Connect button after the controller has successfully paired, it will disconnect it and you have to wait a bit for it to reconnect.

The finish on the controller is smooth and silky, somewhat like the Logitech Cordless Action (my favorite PS2 controller, BTW). The build is sleek-looking, much more pleasant to the eye than the Sixaxis. The controller is bigger and more ergonomic. If you have big hands, you might want to consider this it. There are grips are on side for better handling. The Sixaxis cramps my hands, so this is a welcome change.

The buttons are mostly the same. The main input buttons have little squiggly versions of the triangle, circle, square and cross buttons. The D-pad is flatter than the Sixaxis's and also smoother and more comfortable, although you have to press harder. The PS button is silver monochrome with no PS logo on it.

The L1-L2-R1-R2 buttons are placed towards the middle of the controller, which some people used to the Sixaxis may not like at first. They are pretty flat like the Logitech Cordless, so if you prefer the trigger L2-R2 buttons, you might think twice. Once you learn to hold this controller differently, it is fine.

The Start and Select buttons are unfortunately placed right above the Connect and Macro buttons. Several times when I went for the Start button, I accidentally hit the Connect button and unpaired the controller temporarily.

The analog sticks are nice and allow for more precise, subtle movement. You don't need to swing out the stick as much as you do with the Sixaxis. They are smaller than the Sixaxis sticks and have a stickier feel to them, which makes for less slippage. I always though the Sony stock analog sticks were too big for precise movement. Then again, I have skinny fingers.

There is a Macro button, which is for programming button combinations into one, I assume. I believe you press the Macro button, input a button combination (eg: X, O, L2). Again, there are no instructions, so I can only use trial and error. Honestly, I probably won't ever use it.

There is a power switch on the back. I wished that the Logitech PS2 had one because it would activate if you pressed a button and waste the battery.

I tried Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Darkness, Resistance, and GT HD. The FPS and racing games especially controlled well. I prefer the more precise and stiff analog sticks for these games. Other buttons have to be pressed down more, but that's just a matter of getting used to it.

One missing feature of note is the lack of Sixaxis motion control, which I assume is not present due to licensing. If you want to play games like Folklore, you'll need your old Sixaxis.

Overall, this is an excellent controller for those who need better ergonomics and more precise control in their games. I advise getting rechargeable AAA batteries.

Pros: Larger, ergonomic design for gamers with bigger hands, better analog sticks, more comfortable D-pad.

Cons: No instructions in packaging, controller pairing can be confusing at first, no tilt support, Start/Select buttons are awkwardly placed, L/R buttons might be difficult to reach for people with shorter fingers, cannot power on PS3 (but can power it down), no batteries included.

Score: 8/10

Pictures included. Please excuse my fingers. :)

jinqui242
July 22nd, 2007, 13:15
Here are some more, side view, USB receiver, comparison to the Sixaxis and also the original Sony silver Boomerang.