PDA

View Full Version : NES/SNES/Genesis Emulation on PSP.. is it good enough?

Haisook
July 22nd, 2007, 21:56
I plan on starting my impossible mission of finding an unpatched GTA or Lumines to be able to play my favorite NES, SNES, and Genesis games. Now, I wonder, will the games play flawlessly as if I would be playing them on their native consoles? I've been hearing issues regarding SNES emulation. Not sure though, that was many months ago when I last read about that.

So the question is; is it worth it? or do I just exchange/trade my UMDs for other ones, and forget the whole emulation thing?

Your replies will give me the "Go!" for starting my impossible mission or will make me just stop.

Thanks!

kharaboudjan
July 22nd, 2007, 23:33
yes it is worth it!

Welshboy
July 23rd, 2007, 03:47
Oh my god? are you serious? I have been happily playing secret of mana and Sonic 2 full speed for eons. If this was a gestapo investigation I would slap you in the face with a leather glove

Tesseract
July 23rd, 2007, 05:21
Some of the notorious SNES games aren't quite perfected yet. Those who remember the fledgeling days of emulation know which titles I mean (Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc)

However, games like Super Mario World are perfectly fine, the Sonic games on Genesis, Everything on NES and such... Commodore64 Emulation is even well done, so you can play Impossible Mission!

Uhm... I think I may have misunderstood...

Anyhow, Yesh. Emulation on the PSP is definitely worth it. Not to mention the near-perfect PSX emulation. If you're running custom firmware, you can take almost any of your PSX games and convert it for play on your PSP, rather than waiting for it to become available on the PSN and having to use a PS3.

Haisook
July 23rd, 2007, 12:16
Thanks guys!

Sorry, I might have asked a what-seems-like a silly questions, but that's because I've been away from the homebrew scene for like 8 months.

Does anyone know if MegaMan X (SNES) plays well? I'd like so much to play that game on the PSP.

Thank you all! I'll try to find the sacred GTA or Lumines.

mike_jmg
July 23rd, 2007, 18:25
Megaman X and X3 play flawlessly, there is some issue with the save state, but you can always use passwords

as for X2 it hangs on the boss battles, the battle is so slow that it's almost unfair to defeat them

hockey2112
July 23rd, 2007, 19:56
Megaman X and X3 play flawlessly, there is some issue with the save state, but you can always use passwords

as for X2 it hangs on the boss battles, the battle is so slow that it's almost unfair to defeat them

X2 played perfectly for me all the way through, so maybe you had a bad dump.

Gold Line
July 23rd, 2007, 20:01
NES - full speed
SNES - most games are full speed
N64 - very slow only 3 or 4 games are playable
PS1 - full speed
Genesis - full speed
game boy - full speed
GBC - full speed
GBA - full speed
CPS1 - full speed
CPS2 - full speed

Well there it is, PSP emus are worth the downgrade.

Haisook
July 23rd, 2007, 23:16
Hmm... hoped MegaMan X plays and saves flawlessly. Anyways,..

Of course I suppose all games work well in full screen mode?

http://xs317.xs.to/xs317/07302/MegaManX.jpg
This is a screenshot I made from a Windows SNES emulator. I just resized it to the PSP screen dimensions.

Wow.. I can't wait to play it!!!!!

xg917
July 23rd, 2007, 23:32
n64 will be full speed some day if u ever plan on playing that on your psp soon so just have patience on taht.

Saracchini
July 23rd, 2007, 23:34
Hmm... hoped MegaMan X plays and saves flawlessly. Anyways,..

Of course I suppose all games work well in full screen mode?

http://xs317.xs.to/xs317/07302/MegaManX.jpg
This is a screenshot I made from a Windows SNES emulator. I just resized it to the PSP screen dimensions.

Wow.. I can't wait to play it!!!!!

You can aways adjust the screen mode... i prefer an 4:3 mode.
A few SNES games runs too slow (Top Gear and DKC3) but Megaman and others series is full playable at top speed. The sound save state issue was been resolved in Rukasīs SNES_TYL...

Anyway Genesis emulations is not perfect... some games crashes or doesnīt work well in DGEN 1.70 . PSPgenesis 0.18 runs the games wich doesnt work in DGEN but some games runs slower. I have both in my MS.

NES, Master System and older consoles emulation is perfect.

The most problematic emulation which i found is the PC-Engine one... HUE and PCEP are not perfect and each one have diferent problems... but you still can have a lot of fun with then.

Viralmind
July 23rd, 2007, 23:34
very worth it.

Haisook
July 24th, 2007, 18:34
So while we're at it.. what are the best/most powerful emulators out there (for GBA/NES/SNES/Genesis) ?

xg917
July 24th, 2007, 18:45
gba = gpsp 0.9
gb = rin 1.32
nes =nesterJ 1.20 beta 2
genesis = dgen 1.70
snes = snes9xtyl ++ ruka's version

Haisook
July 24th, 2007, 20:25
Thanks a lot!

Haisook
July 31st, 2007, 15:43
Hi again... I got my PSP downgraded!

I have installed Snes9xtyl and patched it with the Beta quick save state and autofire patch, but now I have 2 icons in my memory card related to snes, one named Snes..e.tc, and the other is toto (what the hell is that?).

What do I need to do to keep only one with the name Snes9xtyl?

Thanks..

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 11:45
Well, I worked that out by using the original version, and hiding the corrupt folders by renaming them (thanks to a tip I found on some forum).

Now I have the universal problem of getting no sound after loading a save state. Does Ruka's version fix that?

It's a MAJOR bug, and I think SNES emulation on the PSP is meaningless with that bug present. I appreciate the work of the developer, but is there a solution to that?

I've tried the Super Pang trick, but it did not work...

bah
August 1st, 2007, 12:26
It's a MAJOR bug, and I think SNES emulation on the PSP is meaningless with that bug present.

LOL, i don't think too many would agree with you on that one.

Try bringing up the menu with both triggers and going back to the game.

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 12:36
Wished it was that easy. Of course I've tried that in many games, but it doesn't work.

Thanks anyway..

bah
August 1st, 2007, 12:44
Strange, i cant remember having the issue in 0.4.2ME

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 14:30
Well, it's a very common issue. All ppl talk about it!!

bah
August 1st, 2007, 14:34
Oh ive heard of it, just cant recall having it happen to me and certainly not enough to say the emulator is meaningless because of it.

Just try that ruka one as someone else said, though I suspect the main difference is the speedhacks file has more entries. That speeds up some games but makes many less stable. The state/sound issue is supposedly fixed.

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 17:36
Thanks..

Could anyone confirm that Raku's version fixes the state/sound bug?

SSaxdude
August 1st, 2007, 17:54
PSP+homebrew=better than living

Just kidding, but it makes the PSP the ultimate all in one device.

blakey87_1
August 1st, 2007, 20:29
Yea emulators which run well on any system is always a good thing, so people should moan

Saracchini
August 1st, 2007, 21:22
Thanks..

Could anyone confirm that Raku's version fixes the state/sound bug?

Yes, itīs fixed.I tried it with a bunch of games and worked .

DimensionT
August 1st, 2007, 21:36
Where are you guys getting the SNES emu that runs full speed with most games? I put the newest version of SNES TYL on my bother's PSP no more then a month ago, and only about 30% of the games run full speed.

Even with the CPU at 333Mhz, the sound settings at their lowest and in 4:3 scaling mode with no filters...

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 21:57
Yes, itīs fixed.I tried it with a bunch of games and worked .

Thanks.. I'll try it today and report back.

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 22:01
Where are you guys getting the SNES emu that runs full speed with most games? I put the newest version of SNES TYL on my bother's PSP no more then a month ago, and only about 30% of the games run full speed.

Even with the CPU at 333Mhz, the sound settings at their lowest and in 4:3 scaling mode with no filters...

It does slow down but only during crowded scenes with lots of action. Otherwise, it's very playable. Of course we do appreciate the developers' work, but it's not a matter of just taking a look at your favorite old game on your PSP and say "Wow.. it works!". It's about progressing through the game, saving, and loading. The state/sound issue is really critical in my opinion.

Haisook
August 1st, 2007, 22:39
Thanks.. I'll try it today and report back.

I can say now that Ruka's version ultimately fixes that nasty state/sound bug!

Download it now and replace the original EBOOT file by it.

This is a direct link from Ruka's site:
http://rukapsp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/PSPSoftware/labSNESTYL/0032EBOOT.zip

DimensionT
August 2nd, 2007, 07:20
It does slow down but only during crowded scenes with lots of action. Otherwise, it's very playable. Of course we do appreciate the developers' work, but it's not a matter of just taking a look at your favorite old game on your PSP and say "Wow.. it works!". It's about progressing through the game, saving, and loading. The state/sound issue is really critical in my opinion.

If I'm going to think about it that way, I'd have to say I'm more impressed with SNES emulators on the DS. Not that the emus on the PSP aren't awesome... But with all the hype they get by "PSP fanboys" you'd imagine they'd be perfect.

In reality, the DS and PSP SNES smus are on the same level. Sure the PSP can play almost every single rom without glitches... But the DS plays every compatable game at 100% full speed (you can tell I'm not one to pick form over function). Same could be said about Genesis (though the DS emu doesn't have sound at the moment).

And with NesDS having both fastfoward and rewind functions, plus full speed and save states... I'd like to think I made the right choice :thumbup:.

Now, don't start with the flaming guys. I made a valid point!

Haisook
August 2nd, 2007, 10:25
Genesis emulation on PSP (via DGen) is perfect. It never slows down; no sound issues.

If only the PSP screen had less ghosting!

pun1sh3r
August 2nd, 2007, 13:03
You can also emulate MS-DOS(you know...the thing before Windows), it plays most games well but it's kinda complicated to map the controlls at first. You have to individually make .BAT files for each game and map the controlls. There isn't a way to map them right off the emulator. Also...you won't be able to type cause there is no onscreen keyboard(use a DOS file manager that uses the mouse instead of typing to open games). I don't think you'd be able to memorize this.

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/images/keygroup1qwerty_black.gif

Haisook
August 2nd, 2007, 14:01
Why would anyone try to emulate MS-DOS? Its games suck anyway.

cal360
August 2nd, 2007, 14:19
Haisook try not to post multiple posts at once in a row as it will lead to you getting getting a warning.