PDA

View Full Version : 486 75MHz?

Masta-G
June 20th, 2005, 15:58
What about the good ol dos games I used to play.
Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Bio Menace and lots of others.

I was wondering if the dc could emulate a 486 computer at 75Mhz with vga vesa graphics. Loading a 1.44meg floppydisk image with dos6 and some device driver to read cdrs to get it to boot.
It may be almost impossible, but think about it, it would surely open a big world on the dreamcast with so many games....

EDIT
quzar, you did a port of a 386 emulator to the dreamcast right?
how well did it run?

quzar
June 20th, 2005, 23:30
runs fine, but its an early development emulator so it only plays a few games. i havnt been able to contact the author (who was continuing development on it) for over 6 months now. Last time I spoke to him he was serving in the military, so maybe he has no comptuer access or something =\

maybe at some point i'll put a cobbleware emulator together.

JeffTweedyIsGod
August 24th, 2005, 23:49
I've been thinking the same thing a 486 emu would give access to lots of old abandonware. Is it possible to run a dos emu of a cd-r though?

semicolo
August 25th, 2005, 01:49
486s are very close to 386s (in fact a 486sx is the same thing with just some cache memory if I remember well)
Maybe we could try to port bochs http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
It wouldn't be very optimized because it's highly portable.
There could be trouble for the savegames though

Cap'n 1time
August 25th, 2005, 05:45
its best just to think of it as x86 as we always have...

Mental2k
October 24th, 2005, 11:42
And also abondonware is warez.

pauljake
October 27th, 2005, 00:54
Did somebody look at the source code of bochs to see if it's portable? Because I tested it on my pc (it's kinda strange a PC emu running on a PC) and I can tell you that runs very slow but has a great compatibility (I tested the old DOS, and some games and all of them worked ok!)

quzar
October 27th, 2005, 01:20
It is portable, but a pain, just like DOSbox. There are two PC emulators that I am looking to try to port when i get power back. One that hasn't been ever mentioned on these forums (i've been here since they were started =P).

bender
October 27th, 2005, 12:30
486s are very close to 386s (in fact a 486sx is the same thing with just some cache memory if I remember well)

I wouldn't say that. Perhaps the last 386s were pretty much like the first 486sx but I remember there where some addons that made the 486 far better ...well it's a while since I studied computer's architecture . I'm not saying it's not possible because I don't know it though ;)

2 links that could perhaps show some of the difference between both sx proccessors:
http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/prodbref/272713.htm
http://smithsonianchips.si.edu/intel/i386sx.htm (can't find Intel's link)

About the 486dx4 75 do you think is really possible? Just to say you that my dx2 66 with 8Mb ram and 2Mb video was able to run quake(not a p90, as ID suggested) and dn3d perfectly under DOS...it was really a powerfull 486 machine (in fact the dx5 at 133 (made by Amd) was something like an Intel's p100 in perfomance :p)

pauljake
October 27th, 2005, 20:18
It is portable, but a pain, just like DOSbox. There are two PC emulators that I am looking to try to port when i get power back. One that hasn't been ever mentioned on these forums (i've been here since they were started =P).
Thanks Quzar! and good luck with the project! :D