PDA

View Full Version : Guitar tuner test

wraggster
July 24th, 2007, 20:01
A test release from Philip: (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13736)

I'm trying to write an electric tuner for the DS, but I'm having trouble with the timing. Namely, the timers in the DS aren't that accurate - they're well within the range you'd expect from a video game system, but to be accurate to, say, the nearest cent, the timers need to be accurate to ±1/20%... way more than the DS is designed for.

I'd like to think that, with enough calibration, this problem can be gotten around... but it depends on how consistent a DS's timer is, in the same DS... I know from a quick experiment in IRC that WinterMute's DS's timer runs about 2% slower than mine (it reports the sound as about 40 cents higher)... but on the few tests I've run on my own DS, it rarely disagrees with itself more than about a cent. If it's always about the same on a single DS, then running some sort of calibration the first time you run it should be enough.

This is where you need your help:
Download the tuner. (http://www.mrphlip.com/tmp/guitartune.zip)
Put the .nds file on your DS and run it.
Put your DS next to your computer speakers, and play the two .wav files in the zip.
Post your results here. Specifically, the reading in the top-right of the lower screen.

Run the tests a few times, and see if you get consistent results... if possible, test it in the middle of the day, and at night... temperature might affect it, depending on how the timers work in the hardware.
If all (or even most) DSs get similar numbers every time, even if they don't agree with each other, then the project can probably go ahead... otherwise, I'll probably have to scrap it, which'll be sad.

So yeah, the more data I have, the better, so if as many people as possible do this for me, it'll be great. I don't think I'm asking much, just run a program, and play a couple of sounds... should take 1 or 2 minutes, at most, at a couple of times during the day.

Oh, and one last thing: The program, as written, isn't particularly good for tuning actual instruments yet, even without the calibration problems... it's good for sine waves, and not much else. That'll get fixed before release... it's just got something in there right now that's simple and works.

mellowman
July 24th, 2007, 22:29
First post :) . Okay heres my results Using Winamp:
A foot away:
C523:
+23C
A-460
523.2/3Hz
top left corner: 8
:thumbup:.

A440:
G#
+23c
440.0/1 Hz
A-460
+23c
:thumbup: .

Turns out distance wasn't much of a factor, very nice job please continue updating it.

gekkoecho
August 3rd, 2007, 01:05
HEY!!!!
DONT GIVE UP!!!
please :'(

IDEAS
1. To remedy the problems of different clocks you would just need to include a calibrator.

2. The only other thing is that it needs to be a little sticky. --It needs to stay neutral for longer and take longer to go back to zero.

GREAT WORK!!! :) :)

EDIT: ummm.... the only other thing that would help is if you could adjust the sensitivity....

noonoo851
August 12th, 2007, 22:38
GREAT APP!

a440.wav
top left: A
top right: +00, +01 cent
(bottom right: A-440)

c523.wav:
top left: C
top right: +00, +01 cent
(bottom right: A-440)

dark.nowhere
September 13th, 2007, 07:46
About tuning it... you could have the DS play these two tones, and self-calibrate.

pariah
October 5th, 2007, 00:18
Any new news on this? Sounded interesting to me...

p