PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Game onto PSP

LobsterMonster
August 1st, 2007, 00:06
Okay I'm not talking about piracy here <_<

I have lots of dreamcast games (lucky me). I really <3 Sonic Adventure 1&2....as well as virtua tennis and toy commander (I have more).

Anyhooooo.....How do I get them on there? I've ripped a PSX game (Star Wars: Masters of the Steel Hand) and it runs perfectly...now...Will it be the same for a Dreamcast game? If so do I just rip the ISO from a ISO ripping program. But Then what, I had to put it in a Popstation thing once i got the PSX ISO and it put it into a playable thing and it was all easy and good. If their a thing like Popstation....but for the dreamcast?

P.S. If i rip the ISO off of a game...does it make the actual disk game unplayable? (I don't think so, but i want to be sure)

JKKDARK
August 1st, 2007, 00:08
No, you cannot run Dreamcast games on a PSP. And Dreamcast emulation on PSP is NOT possible.
Popstation only emulates PlayStation.

carlitx
August 1st, 2007, 00:10
no offense but stupid question dude.

LobsterMonster
August 1st, 2007, 00:16
no offense but stupid question dude.

I disagree with you <_<

It's a perfectly fine question

Gold Line
August 1st, 2007, 01:17
no it was a stupid question, the psp can just about handel n64 games dreamcast is far too powerfull

Triv1um
August 1st, 2007, 01:26
leave him alone.

simple question give him a simple answer.

No, the PSP is simply not powerful enough.

Welshboy
August 1st, 2007, 04:14
This question crops up time and time again, along with the question of Saturn emulation.

jonezybaby
August 1st, 2007, 19:10
simple answer - if u would have dun research ud no that psp can play PSX games cus there is a built in PSX emulator, there for thus not bein able 2 run "dreamcast games"

mike_jmg
August 25th, 2007, 06:50
It will be nice if someone was skilled enough to do ports

But the only two I would like, have been ported already, crazy taxi and power stone

ICE
August 25th, 2007, 06:52
*sobs quietly..* why!?! why are they so dumb!!?!
*continues sobbing*

Napalm-Death
August 25th, 2007, 07:49
I always forget that we all were n00bs once and we always bothered not to read before asking a question.

usp8riot
August 25th, 2007, 18:24
You could always try Boch's PC emulator, emulating Windows XP, and then emulating a DC emulator. That is, if you really believe it's powerful enough to handle DC emulation. In that case, give it a try.

acn010
August 25th, 2007, 18:33
no it was a stupid question, the psp can just about handel n64 games dreamcast is far too powerfull

atleast its not worst than one of the members here asking to port ps2 emulation XD

hacksparrow
September 1st, 2007, 13:40
This question crops up time and time again, along with the question of Saturn emulation.
holy hell PSP!?!??!?!? never came across that question, but damn even super slick desktops have problems emulatin saturn.... but i wonder if that works in reverse if you could run psp on dc hmmm tasty i know

slik da relic
September 3rd, 2007, 19:40
some of us, like myself, have been in this scene since day1, week1, month1... hell, year1... we have read thru lots of posts, threads, been thru a few bricked PSPs... and watched coders come n go n come back... now, after 3 yrs of PSP development, there are people that r JUST gettin into the scene, and dont know anything about this stuff, so it is a lil frustrating... but just leave the question for someone else to answer... on the other hand, some of the newbies need to search and read the posts... i been on threads where i went thru 20-40 pages, just to find my answer, but also findin out info i didnt even expect... made me a better hacker in my own hood... u wanna be smart about this, u gotta read my peoples.

oh yea... a ripped game cd/dvd is no different from a music/movie cd/dvd... ur just copyin the file... the cd/dvd is not affected. ur DC games are fine.

da relic

sourced
September 4th, 2007, 15:07
dont flame him. he's simply asking.

and, no, dreamcast emulation is practically impossible on the psp. its not powerful enough.

PenguinMaster
September 4th, 2007, 15:30
but i wonder if that works in reverse if you could run psp on dc hmmm tasty i know

That's even dumber than the OP's question, the PSP is more powerful than the DC!

hacksparrow
September 4th, 2007, 16:45
That's even dumber than the OP's question, the PSP is more powerful than the DC!

um hmm, it was a joke jesus

do you seriously think i don't know psp?

actually it's all i know, goin 2 the other forums is like another planet in here

cal360
September 4th, 2007, 16:53
There seems to me there's noobs seeping from the walls nowdays ,but at least he knew kinda about what he was talking about.

slik da relic
September 6th, 2007, 18:15
That's even dumber than the OP's question, the PSP is more powerful than the DC!DC games would be the PRETTIEST games on PSP if it was possible, thats for sure.

da relic

saveyou
October 2nd, 2007, 11:33
Emulation is never impossible, just will never run at decent frames or even with complete set of features.
Besides, the DreamCast uses GD-roms, so hardly someone like a normal user could ever make a iso from it.

I wonder what would had happen to the game scene if the dreamcast would had a dvd-rom instead. Think that was what killed it.

Have Fun

sonikku88
October 2nd, 2007, 23:44
PSP is powerful enought to play Dreamcast games. Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 on the Dreamcast were ported to the PSP and they don't seem to have been altered in any way. Maybe DC emulation isn't possible on the PSP, but official ports can be done.

And hey, at least his question isn't as dumb as the guy's you wanted to play Gamecube games on a PSP. XD

JKKDARK
October 3rd, 2007, 00:45
I don't think we will see a lot of ports anyway

sonikku88
October 3rd, 2007, 03:35
I don't think we will see a lot of ports anyway

Doesn't mean we can't live in hope! :D C'mon Sonic Adventure Compliation! Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 on one UMD! :thumbup:

Exophase
October 3rd, 2007, 05:31
Emulation is never impossible, just will never run at decent frames or even with complete set of features.
Besides, the DreamCast uses GD-roms, so hardly someone like a normal user could ever make a iso from it.

I wonder what would had happen to the game scene if the dreamcast would had a dvd-rom instead. Think that was what killed it.

Have Fun

Emulation is impossible if the machine you're emulating on does not have as much storage capacity as the machine you're emulating.

Tesseract
October 4th, 2007, 11:28
Didn't GD-ROMS top out around 1.2GB? That's less than a dual-layer UMD (1.8GB... Both size references checked on Wikipedia). Not to mention that if you'd put in on a MemStick, it'd be much faster read access. The main problem is not the amount of storage, but the difficulty in backing up a GD-ROM. As far as I'm aware, the only thing that'll reliably read a full GD-ROM is a Dreamcast, and that the ISOs you find online have been ripped via a Broadband Adapter. I haven't tried using something like BlindWrite or other 1:1 ripping programs, but I can't assume it'd be that easy.

Speaking of the BBA... You WOULD have that built-in on the PSP at least!

The main problem, though, is that people are still hung up on the adage of '10x the power of the original for emulation'. Since the DC ran at 200MHz, that's obviously a problem.

Memory could also be a slight problem, as Main (16MB), Video (8MB) and Sound (2MB) total up to 26MB, and that might not leave enough room (at least in Phat PSPs) for an Emulator to run in the background.

You're generally not going to see a working PSP emulator for a console before you see a near-perfect PC emulator for that console (I think the PSX may be an exception here, as the PSX games that DO work on the PSP work MUCH better than on the PC). The Dreamcast (and as was recently mentioned in another thread, 3DO) does not have an emulator that runs commercial games at full speed (or.... really anywhere close). On another glance, it doesn't look like any of the DC/PC Emulators on DCEmu have been updated in years. :P

Anyhow.... I know I get a bit frustrated when people say 'It will never work!' without showing you valid points to how difficult it would be. I'm not saying it will never happen, but unless someone figures out an earth-shattering breakthrough in how to program for the PSP, it isn't too likely to happen.

sakarin
October 9th, 2007, 14:38
if you are so interested in detailed answers you would have made a search on the topic of emulation already

you are all mixing up porting games to emulating games, porting would be possible, meaning someone doing the game from scratch for the psp (but ilegal in lots of ways starting with any models and textures used in the game)

emulating wouldn't be possible, the dreamcast had a very diferent arquitecture from the psp, it also had better hardware so the emulator even if someone bothered to make it just to prove it could be done had no hope of ever play games real time

jxx2005
October 12th, 2007, 14:22
I disagree with you <_<

It's a perfectly fine question

i think he meant the "does ripping and iso make the disc unplayable"
not only are you PSP newbie but also computer noob