PDA

View Full Version : Can you downgrade an emulated firmware?

ExcruciationX
August 1st, 2007, 04:26
Since I like downgrading PSP's, I thought it'd be funny to downgrade an emulated firmware.

My only question is; does the downgrader go after the emulated firmware or the one on the flash memory?

mexicansnake
August 1st, 2007, 05:11
Nope since the downgrader writes to the pspīs ipl.
It would just crash (in theory).

ExcruciationX
August 1st, 2007, 06:00
Oh, okay.

I guess I need to get cracking on my downgraded PSP count!

pt9087
August 1st, 2007, 17:28
lol like mine! :thumbup:

VampDude
August 1st, 2007, 17:39
Yes, I think you can downgrade a custom firmware...

...I think that is what the /PSP/GAME/RECOVERYEBOOT.PBP thing is on 3.40oe as it downgrades back to 1.50 from being upgraded to 3.40oe, so technically I'm right in some sense. But not actually sure of running an actual downgrade that isn't meant for a custom firmware but for a SONY firmware, but the recovery mode is always there in theory?

mexicansnake
August 1st, 2007, 19:12
Yes, I think you can downgrade a custom firmware...

...I think that is what the /PSP/GAME/RECOVERYEBOOT.PBP thing is on 3.40oe as it downgrades back to 1.50 from being upgraded to 3.40oe, so technically I'm right in some sense. But not actually sure of running an actual downgrade that isn't meant for a custom firmware but for a SONY firmware, but the recovery mode is always there in theory?

He said emulated not custom :p

VampDude
August 1st, 2007, 20:38
He said emulated not custom :p

Both emulated/custom is technically the same thing as it's not a real SONY firmware, custom firmware is only really emulated (but selfbooting) through 1.50 as it has the recovery option to go back at any stage (via the files on a MemStick) with no fuss whatsoever (real un-emulated firmware doesn't have recovery)...

...Maybe I'm wrong? But I feel right somehow? :confused:

ExcruciationX
August 2nd, 2007, 08:45
Both emulated/custom is technically the same thing as it's not a real SONY firmware, custom firmware is only really emulated (but selfbooting) through 1.50 as it has the recovery option to go back at any stage (via the files on a MemStick) with no fuss whatsoever (real un-emulated firmware doesn't have recovery)...

...Maybe I'm wrong? But I feel right somehow? :confused:
I mean running a firmware through DevHook. It mounts the IPL, F0, and F1 to their respective drives (similar to booting an ISO through DevHook with a UMD in the disk drive, it mounts it on the drive itself). My only question is; would the downgrader go after the crap on the memory stick or on the flash memory?

They should have an app for PSP (or computer) that simulates all the downgraders and you can watch each one (based on what method and what firmware) by picking it.

VampDude
August 2nd, 2007, 15:52
I mean running a firmware through DevHook. It mounts the IPL, F0, and F1 to their respective drives (similar to booting an ISO through DevHook with a UMD in the disk drive, it mounts it on the drive itself). My only question is; would the downgrader go after the crap on the memory stick or on the flash memory?

They should have an app for PSP (or computer) that simulates all the downgraders and you can watch each one (based on what method and what firmware) by picking it.

I don't think you can

Isn't there a PSP emulator for the PC that could possibly do that?

-Xandu-
August 2nd, 2007, 15:57
I've read several reports on bricking when doing that, I'd avoid trying it.

ICE
August 2nd, 2007, 17:28
in theory the worst it could do is screw up you dh folder. im not sure how it would possibly brick since while in hook all flash activity is routed to the dh folder right?

EDIT: oooh i just thought of something! you know how they found out the psp had more room for crap in flash? you think theres enough room in there for 3.52 m33 AND 1.50? like have both on there and a boot menu to pick the one you want? that'd be sweet. maybe it will happen on the new psp with all its fancy flash storage..

-Xandu-
August 2nd, 2007, 17:38
Devhook has disabled all flash functions so you don't brick, but since you're exploiting anyway, it will screw up your original flash.

gdf
August 2nd, 2007, 17:52
just don't do it basically then.

ExcruciationX
August 2nd, 2007, 22:30
Okay, thanks for the help guys.

LilSwish722
August 6th, 2007, 02:15
I'll be the little devil on your shoulder and say...heh heh...do it lol. But no, honestly, it would be a bad idea. Mainly because of what Xandu said. Doesn't DH like emulate the flash...yet still needs the original flash to run...if thats the case, then it probably will mess up the original flash...so do it lol