PDA

View Full Version : Intro To A First Person Shooter I'm Making

DimensionT
August 1st, 2007, 04:27
Here's an intro video to a FPS I'm making with FPS Creator. I'll be sure to release it here when it's done ;).

I wanted to do something with and extremely dark storyline (daughter gets kidnapped by people with cruel intentions, blah blah blah... (Watch the video, it explains it better)). There's more too it, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyXUJSobOIc

Also, I wanted to offer my services as a digital animator to all the homebrewers out there. Nothing spices up a game like some nice cut scenes.

Would it be a good idea to post a thread in the "Submit News" forum? I'm not to sure if it would be welcomed or shunned upon (news is for releases, not for offering help after all).

What do you guys think?

ganondorf
August 1st, 2007, 04:41
The music is really good but those pictures did not match at all. I like the style though.

skater9269
August 1st, 2007, 04:51
thanks cool thanks for the offer I might pm you if I decide to go anywhere with and lte engine game.

DimensionT
August 1st, 2007, 04:53
@Ganondorf:
Thanks for the comment about the music :thumbup:.

Are the black and white pictures the ones you're talking about? I wanted to do a sort of flashback type thing where he remembers some of the times he spent with his daughter.

Do you have any ideas for what I could do to make it better?

@Skater9269
If you make up your mind let me know! I'm more then willing to do my best. Only thing I need is an in depth description of what you want (rendering videos takes a LONG time, so I'd like to be able to do the least amount of re-builds possible). If you want the models you're using in the game to be in the video, they have to be in one of the following formats...

.3ds
.b3d
.t3d
.3mf
.a3d
.a3p
.fbx
.igs
.iges
.ids
.ido
.lwo
.obj
.obz

There's a bunch of other formats that it uses, but I don't think they're as widely used as the above ones.

mexicansnake
August 1st, 2007, 05:43
I like the camera effects.

Triv1um
August 1st, 2007, 11:35
Nice, its annoying when wheels on cars dont spin. Is it on invisible ice?

Anyway, looking forward to it.

DimensionT
August 1st, 2007, 20:57
Nice, its annoying when wheels on cars dont spin. Is it on invisible ice?

Yeah, and it's being propelled by rockets in the muffler, lol. Actually, the model of the car I used wouldn't allow me to rotate the wheels. All four wheels were one segment of the model... So if I tried to rotate them, the back tires would go up in the air and the front tires would fall through the floor.

@MexicanSnake:
Thanks, man! The camera improvements have to be the best part of the updated software (using Carrara 5 PRO instead of Carrara 3D Basics now). It moves alot more smoothly now.

@Everyone:
I'm gonna go ahead and post a thread in the Submit News forum about my proposistion of making videos for homebrewers. If Wraggster thinks it shouldn't be there, he won't move it :p.

mexicansnake
August 1st, 2007, 22:05
I would like to have something similar for the lua game that Im coding now...

But I cant use these kind of cutscenes because its lua,
but anyway... your job looks great.

DimensionT
August 1st, 2007, 22:36
What do you mean exactly? Can LUA not play videos at all? If it's only a format issue, I can export them in any numer of formats. Just tell me what kind you need.

Triv1um
August 1st, 2007, 22:39
I believe LUA cutscenes need to be animated in LUA with pics. Not sure though as im not a coder.

mexicansnake
August 1st, 2007, 22:40
Well, the lua cant handle any kind of videos :(, it cant even handle .Gif images...
The only way to make cutscenes is using pics and lua codes.

DimensionT
August 1st, 2007, 23:00
That wouldn't be a problem for me. I could just create a .gif and export each individual frame. Actually, I think Carrara can export movies straight into image frames.

Triv1um
August 1st, 2007, 23:06
You can't do that, it needs to be coded in lua.

I would imagine its possible to play frames stupidly fast though.

VampDude
August 1st, 2007, 23:13
One word...

NICE! :)

mexicansnake
August 2nd, 2007, 02:09
You can't do that, it needs to be coded in lua.

I would imagine its possible to play frames stupidly fast though.

Wrong, It can be done. Just separate the sprites and the background...

DimensionT
August 2nd, 2007, 05:28
@VampDude:
Thanks alot, man! Glad you like the vids.

@MexicanSnake:
You wouldn't need to seperate the sprites if you're just making a cut scene (I don't think, not too familiar with LUA). You'd only need to do that if you want a video playing in the background, no? It shouldn't be too hard (again, not familiar with LUA).

I actually did something like that for a level in my RPG... I exported each frame from a video I did of a tunnel loop (rotating around the center of a screen). Then did an event that looked something like this:

:Label1
:Change Panorama - Tunnel1.bmp
:Wait .05 seconds
:Change Panorama - Tunnel2.bmp
Etc...
Etc...
:Jump to Label1

Not the same exact strings, but you get the idea. Here's what it turned out as if you want to check it out. Pretty cool if you ask me :thumbup:.

Keep in mind that you're not meant to take this game seriously. It's supposed to be full of rude humor and random, nonsenceical events.

Between Dimensions (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kWLG64aRqLE)

gdf
August 2nd, 2007, 13:00
is it meant to be sort of spoof-like? there were some bits i laughed at (hope that doesn't offend you!) it looked pretty atmospheric...usuall games made with fps creator suck balls cos they are so generic, but this looks like across between fear and silent hill, which can only be a good thing!

mexicansnake
August 2nd, 2007, 19:27
@MexicanSnake:
You wouldn't need to seperate the sprites if you're just making a cut scene (I don't think, not too familiar with LUA). You'd only need to do that if you want a video playing in the background, no? It shouldn't be too hard (again, not familiar with LUA).

I actually did something like that for a level in my RPG... I exported each frame from a video I did of a tunnel loop (rotating around the center of a screen). Then did an event that looked something like this:

:Label1
:Change Panorama - Tunnel1.bmp
:Change Panorama - Tunnel2.bmp
Etc...
Etc...
:Jump to Label1

Yeah, something like that with many images. Your RPG effect looks cool.

DimensionT
August 2nd, 2007, 20:00
@Gdf:
Well, no... It's not supposed to be funny. But if you want to laugh at it, more power to ya. I'm far more used to making jokes then being serious... Maybe some of that rubbed off on the video without me knowing, lol.

I know that most games made with FPSC are crap, but I really hope my game pushes it's self away from them. I've invested quite alot of money buying model packs so I wouldn't be restricted to the ones that come with it. That, and an in depth storyline plus an entire soundtrack written by me should be what seperates it from the rest.

@MexicanSnake:
Good to know people like the work I've put into it!

I've been talking with Buddy4point0 about making videos for LUA in another thread if you want to look it over/add some ideas.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69973

Mr. Shadow
August 2nd, 2007, 21:39
Thats very intersting good job.

gdf
August 2nd, 2007, 22:36
well lets hope it turns out good.

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 02:50
I hope it does too, lol.

Here's some screenshots to tide you guys over.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-08-20-14.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-08-35-31.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-08-50-31.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-09-31-00.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-09-04-57.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-10-06-35.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/FPSC-Game2005-08-0418-10-23-15.jpg

DarthPaul
August 3rd, 2007, 03:02
DimensionT this is so freaking cool,I can't wait!
The video is perfect,the music,the messages,you nearly made me cry with the end..
The graphics look so well done that I can't even believe this,the car looks very sharp to be a homebrew game.
Good luck with this,and don't let us down!

Edited: Jesus,look at those screen shots! Man...this will be the greatest! And it will be for...?

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 03:08
DimensionT this is so freaking cool,I can't wait!
The video is perfect,the music,the messages,you nearly made me cry with the end..
The graphics look so well done that I can't even believe this,the car looks very sharp to be a homebrew game.
Good luck with this,and don't let us down!

Edited: Jesus,look at those screen shots! Man...this will be the greatest! And it will be for...?

Hopefully PSP! :D

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 03:44
Woah guys!!! You DO know I'm not coding this game from scratch right? I'm making it with FPS Creator for the PC (like RPG Maker, but for first person shooters). If what I've said came out as something else, I'm sorry.

The video I DID make myself however. With a digital animation program called Carrara 5 Pro. Same could be said for the music and storyline.

Even though it's being made with a "maker program", I hope not to disapoint. I have alot of ideas in store. The story will take many turns throughout the game (my idea for the ending will blow you away).

I'm sorry again if you thought this was something that it's not. Thank you for your kind words regardless!

I'll be uploading a demo of the first level tomarrow (maybe tonight). So everyone will get a feel for what it's all about.

Shadowblind
August 3rd, 2007, 03:44
I tried FPS creator, but when I made a level a good size, it freaked out and made everything slow. I can help with level design tho. Give me a layout style and some time.

Man
August 3rd, 2007, 03:47
Lol i loved the video but it syncs up really nice with killing in the name of - rage against the machine. but holy shit that looks amazing even if you are using a FPS maker, ist awsome, keep up the good work. even thiugh i will not be able to enjoy it as im running linux and im to lazy to learn how to use wine.

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 04:04
I tried FPS creator, but when I made a level a good size, it freaked out and made everything slow. I can help with level design tho. Give me a layout style and some time.

You just need to know how to use trigger events effectively. To keep it from slowing down, I use triggers to spawn and destroy almost everything. That way, the game only thinks about items and enemies when you can see them.

I'd love to have you help me (thank you for the offer by the way), but in order to do so I would have to send you model packs that I've paided for... And doing so would violate copyright laws.

@Man:
Actually, I think there might be a patch or something that allows it to run on Linux. I remember hearing about it somewhere. If I find some info on it, I'll be sure to tell you!

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 04:13
Woah guys!!! You DO know I'm not coding this game from scratch right? I'm making it with FPS Creator for the PC (like RPG Maker, but for first person shooters). If what I've said came out as something else, I'm sorry.

The video I DID make myself however. With a digital animation program called Carrara 5 Pro. Same could be said for the music and storyline.

Even though it's being made with a "maker program", I hope not to disapoint. I have alot of ideas in store. The story will take many turns throughout the game (my idea for the ending will blow you away).

I'm sorry again if you thought this was something that it's not. Thank you for your kind words regardless!

I'll be uploading a demo of the first level tomarrow (maybe tonight). So everyone will get a feel for what it's all about.

lol, PC is fine for me! (thou PSP would've been cool) :D

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 04:28
@VampDude:
Well, you're in luck then, lol.

I'm almost done enough with the first level to post a demo (just need to add enemies). It'll be up in a couple hours at the most. I need to make a title screen before I upload it.

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 04:39
@VampDude:
Well, you're in luck then, lol.

I'm almost done enough with the first level to post a demo (just need to add enemies). It'll be up in a couple hours at the most. I need to make a title screen before I upload it.

Hopefully when I wakeup it will be ready, cause it's 4:45am here in the UK and I'm off to bed for a few hours! :p

gdf
August 3rd, 2007, 12:11
those screens look the shiz.

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 19:46
Alright everybody, I've posted a demo of the entire first level. You can pick it up in the thread below.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70096

I always manage to ge my news submitted right before a slew of other news, never get to see it on the front page :(.

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 20:22
Alright everybody, I've posted a demo of the entire first level. You can pick it up in the thread below.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70096

I always manage to ge my news submitted right before a slew of other news, never get to see it on the front page :(.

Cool, I'm gonna download it now! :D

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 20:39
Sweet, man! Give me any feedback you have in the other thread.

It's a pretty hefty file 65MB, but there's not much I can do about it. It IS a PC game after all though, lol.

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 21:32
Sweet, man! Give me any feedback you have in the other thread.

It's a pretty hefty file 65MB, but there's not much I can do about it. It IS a PC game after all though, lol.

I will let you know, and 65mb for a demo of a PC game isn't too big. I've seen game demos that don't look as good weigh in at 100-150mb, I'm sure that once you've gotten quite far into the making of the game you will have something that will be around 200mb :D

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 21:44
Actually, I was looking through the files of the build, and I found some stuff that isn't being used. There's guns and enemies in there that shouldn't be.

When I release the next demo, I'll sift through the files and delete the extra crap. That should make the archive quite a bit smaller (if it doesn't cause any problems with the game).

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 21:50
Actually, I was looking through the files of the build, and I found some stuff that isn't being used. There's guns and enemies in there that shouldn't be.

When I release the next demo, I'll sift through the files and delete the extra crap. That should make the archive quite a bit smaller (if it doesn't cause any problems with the game).

Wow hopefully something to hack if it's in the demo! :p

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 23:24
Lol, maybe. It could be as simple as renaming the extra stuff and replacing what's in the game.

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 23:28
Lol, maybe. It could be as simple as renaming the extra stuff and replacing what's in the game.

The same as VampirE The Masquerade: Bloodlines then, I renamed MP3's from my collection in the installed directory for VTM:BL and ended up with a fully customized soundtrack! :D

DimensionT
August 3rd, 2007, 23:39
Oh, man. That game was awesome. I should dig it out of my CD case so I can play it again. Don't think I ever beat it.

VampDude
August 3rd, 2007, 23:48
Oh, man. That game was awesome. I should dig it out of my CD case so I can play it again. Don't think I ever beat it.

I got very near the end of the game (4 months of play), but the patch I was running messed up my game and it kept freezing when I got to a certain point :(

DarthPaul
August 4th, 2007, 02:51
Oh yeah the demo is out! I thought it would take like 1 week to get released...I'm gonna download. :D

DimensionT
August 4th, 2007, 04:25
@DarthPaul:
Lol, have fun man. It's a shorty but a goody.

@Everyone:
I'm thinking about making an online multiplayer too. If I can iron out the kinks and test it out (see if can play a match between this comp and the one in the other room), I'll post it tomarrow.

I'll make it use the same models and stuff, so if you've already downloaded the demo you could just download a small file and place it in the demo's folder.

gdf
August 4th, 2007, 23:17
NOO!!!

my slow ass pc was too slow ass to play the damn game!

DimensionT
August 4th, 2007, 23:31
NOO!!!

my slow ass pc was too slow ass to play the damn game!

Slow? How slow? The game doesn't run full speed in general right now. There's something that's constantly loading that shouldn't be (haven't been able to find out what yet). Plus, the floor textures on the second floor show up in the ceiling on the first. Fixing this should save a few fps.

It runs at 30fps most of the time on my comp (dips down to around 20 or lower during some of the fighting)... But it seems alot slower because of the loading I mentioned. It's causing it to lock up really fast every second or so.