PDA

View Full Version : PSP as WiiMote

DragonPimpsta
August 1st, 2007, 10:04
psp has Infrared right? adn we got universal remote homebrew for psp that works.. the wiimote is a remote... can we make the PSP a controller for the wii?

If someone knows how thatd be awesome and would save me 30$ getting a new controller =/

bah
August 1st, 2007, 10:10
Nopes.

A wii-mote is an IR camera (and a 3 axis accelerometer for picking up movement when doing things other than pointing at the screen) that picks up the 2 IR lights at either end of the (poorly named) 'sensor bar' to determine where you are pointing the thing, not the other way around.

SBN
August 1st, 2007, 10:13
Yes, but the PSP hasn't got bluetooth, let me explain:

The infrared light transmitted from the sensor bar bouces of the WiiMote, the wiimote then knows where that point is where you are pointing it at the screen, then the WiiMote sends this point data via the Bluetooth.

No data is transfered through the cable of the sensor bar, only power to the IR LED Lights, you could actually hook a battery pack on it and still work, wirelessly :)

lol, too late, but this should explain connectivity problems aswell ;)

bah
August 1st, 2007, 10:16
You can even use candles (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/27/joystiq-video-candles-can-replace-wii-sensor-bar/) as they emit IR light as well as visible.

JPJunkie
August 1st, 2007, 12:09
You can even use candles (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/27/joystiq-video-candles-can-replace-wii-sensor-bar/) as they emit IR light as well as visible.

Wow thts cool

I think that you should just buy a wii remote as playing with a psp would be awkward.

drEDN4wt
August 1st, 2007, 19:54
nb. when the psp slim comes out with tv-out you will be able, in theory to create a wiimote like controller to control compatible psp homebrew on a tv .

like the lightpens/lightguns of old

would only work on crt tv's thou.

DragonPimpsta
August 1st, 2007, 23:04
Wow thts cool

I think that you should just buy a wii remote as playing with a psp would be awkward.

yea, just trying to use what i got tho... and nah it wouldnt be awkward for everything.. games i got use the classic controller

nb. when the psp slim comes out with tv-out you will be able, in theory to create a wiimote like controller to control compatible psp homebrew on a tv .

im not buying no psp slim =/ i already got a psp

bah
August 2nd, 2007, 08:49

How exactly would TV out make this possible?

Lightguns of old were 'cameras' just like the wii-mote, the main difference being the wii-mote works out its position based on 2 led lights placed at a set distance apart, where as older light guns like the NES zapper would blank the screen on a trigger click except for the target, if the light gun saw white then it was a hit.

Some later light guns used the timing of the CRTs refresh rate for more accuracy but the gun was still a 'camera'.

How would a PSP with tv-out achieve this like a lightgun?

I guess you could (perhaps, i know nothing of the PSP camera) track 2 fixed points like a wii-mote does with the camera attachment to determine movement but that would work on the current system without tv-out, just turn the camera to face away from you (it rotates, right?).