PDA

View Full Version : SNES and the Dreamcast...is it dead?

Cross
June 22nd, 2005, 06:27
Ok, I am sure this has been touched in some fashion. I am mainly at the PSP section here, but I have had my Dreamcast since it came out and I have had DreamSNES as well as an NES EMU for some time. I love the NES one but frankly (As I am sure everyone knows) the SNES is well....lacking. I really want to see something faster and nicer then DreamSNES. I saw the 2004 release of the Super Famicom which I was going to try but I just wanted to know if emulation on this system has stopped?

I have a modded XBOX and thats fun but I wasn't looking to drop my Dreamcast off....I want to use it as my system for Emulation of other game systems. (NES Gen, GBA, SNES) However it seems I might not be able to. I know this can be done on the XBOX and if I was not to lazy I guess I would try but frankly I just don't want to mess with my XBOX, its does what I want (hold games on the drive) Yes I guess I could get the information to install a NES and SNES emu on it but I really just like my Dreamcast and would like a good excuse to keep it around before my wife kills me for having so many game systems (Saturn and everything released after it basically).

So any information here would really enlighten me, hopefully it won't be flaming, I know someone probably asked but I just felt like doing a recent check to see whats going on on the DC side of the house. :D

Darksaviour69
June 22nd, 2005, 11:06
Super Famicast is the future for the snes on the dc, its pretty much on power with dreamsnes now and is open source, so anyone can work on it.

DreamSnes is pretty much dead, but as with anything in the dc scene...never say never

Christuserloeser
June 22nd, 2005, 12:57
I guess Dreamcast dev is slow because it's not as easy as xBox dev (that's similar to the PC) but the scene will stay around for a while so I recommend to keep your DC right where it is: next to your xBox ;)

Cross
June 22nd, 2005, 16:56
LOL just the way it should be ^-^

quzar
June 22nd, 2005, 19:11
then again, you could have a dreamcast and a snes side by side in the same space as an XBOX.

Cast128dreams
June 22nd, 2005, 22:49
clever one.....
My Dreamcast will always be in same place as it is for 6 years now.
Hey nice comercial Cross.I have the same System as it says(not exactly but same in some parts)

Cross
June 23rd, 2005, 02:46
Comercial? U mean my sig image? LOL

Well I am trying to cut down on systems. 5 is the max I can have according to the wife and when the new XBOX comes out its going to be pushing to keep the old one because its modded, the saturn will always stay due to Dark Savior and Magic Knight Rayearth and While the PS2 will become a PS3 and the cube a Revolution I am not sure which system I am going to drop or if she will be nice about it....

Cast128dreams
June 23rd, 2005, 11:14
Yes i mean your sig!!
Ok in my opinion is to close your saturn to its box.

Cross
June 24th, 2005, 19:35
Sorry I was not sure, so I asked ^-^

So I should box the saturn? But I would Lose Rayearth and Dark Savior...nah I like those to much. hmmm... I know if I get it to play SNES at full speed she will hush about it because she wants to play mario all stars and world. Anyway I guess I should learn how to code for dreamcast now. LOL.

If you like I could make i a sig image, just send me some images and things you like etc. Give me a few ideas to work with and I can get back to u with one.

Cross
June 25th, 2005, 01:11
Hi again guys, I found out while looking at the cool Millenium Falcon DC project that Overclocking is possible. I was not familure with this on the dreamcast and I am looking through the forums but I figured I might as here to.

Cooling and moding, etc are nothing new for me I have no problem adding stuff to compensate but I want to get the SNES EMU running as Fast as possible so this really interests me. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Christuserloeser
June 25th, 2005, 17:40
Here's what I wrote at DCEmulation.com's DreamSNES forum:

Speed tricks checklist:
- turn on cpu optimizations
- turn off the sound or switch it to mono via the menu
- turn off mode7 interpolation
- turn off transparencies if not needed for the game
- use 50Hz versions (EU) of your games instead of 60Hz (JP/US) for smoother but not neccessarily faster emulation (bad localization sometimes):
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64051
[use GoodSNES, a tool which renames and classifies your games]

Sweater Fish Deluxe
June 25th, 2005, 17:51
I remember that back in the old days a lot of people were claimed that .FIG format ROMs actually played faster in DreamSNES than .SMC format. I never tested it myself since I wasn't ever into emulation, but does anyone know if that's still true? Or has that been equalized in more recent versions? Or was it always just bullshit?

...word is bondage...

Cross
June 25th, 2005, 18:35
Well right now my DC is 100% taken apart I need to know what part to buy to overclock the CPU. The right chip anyway and where a good power source is then I will try those options as well and see if I can get Chrono Trigger at the level I want it!!!!!

obelisk
June 29th, 2005, 20:18
Bump for dreamcast.
Cross, have you looked at the dreamcast pawnshop thing?

Cross
June 30th, 2005, 03:22
no whats that, u have my atten, also I am starting a new thread, anyone with a star ship enterprise thats fairly big have decided to start a DC Enterprise or something else (since I have to mod the case anyway lol)

Cast128dreams
July 1st, 2005, 09:47
I am very interesting in overclocking Dreamcast.It would be very cool to watch my favourite Dc games running better.Hey cross so you are a Sig. disigner.(lollllll)...
So what part of the Dreamcast can be overclocking?
Since you did it your Dreamcast life will be minimized?

Cross
July 1st, 2005, 18:11
I doubt with proper cooling ti will really affect its life span but it certianly is possible.

I don't get the Sig Designer thing..... I have made Sigs for other ppl just because I enjoy playing around in Photoshop....

We are working on a thread thats more indepth, I will get u a link to it.

Cast128dreams
July 2nd, 2005, 16:56
Yea i agree with that.A good cooling system inside the Dreamcast will get everything more freezing that the usual.
But in my opinion whatever affects you will take to upgrade your Dreamcast it will cost you.Meaning problems with the laser,power suply etc

Cross
July 3rd, 2005, 06:49
Yes I know.. but hey I just got the XBOX running EMU's.. so now I have to do something with it before my wife gives it away. If I MOD it into something else she can't get rid of it.

Cast128dreams
July 4th, 2005, 11:37
Oh........