PDA

View Full Version : Okiwi v0.2 Alpha- Web Browser for the Nintendo DS

wraggster
August 6th, 2007, 23:45
Today sees a new release for Okiwi the Web Browser (http://okiwi.blogspot.com/2007/08/la-nueva-alfa-ya-est-aqu.html) for the Nintendo DS:

Heres whats new:

At last, after several days in which I have been one with my computer, I'm releasing the second alpha of Okiwi (version 0.2).

It allows to read files from the card (by entering addresses like file:///path, like, for example, file:///test.html) or Internet (http://...). Some pages are displayed fairly well (specially blogs, like this, which is preconfigured as the home page), while others don't work at all, so I'll have to investigate little by little what Okiwi fails to know.

By now it's able to interpret numerous CSS 2.1 properties, like margins, paddings, floating, colors, etc., altough there are several missing. Some other things not done yet are: tables, forms, cookies and images. There are also some other bugs and lacks I'm aware of.

To scroll a page, dragging with the stylus is still the only way. 75% and 150% zoom levels, which were missing in the first version, have been added. To follow a link, it's enough to "click" on it, altough it doesn't work always, and I must debug it.

The good news is that, from now on, new versions will be released with a much higher frequency. I'll release one each time I implement one of the lacking features or fix important bugs.

The installation procedure of this release is the same as the last, so I encourage the reading of the instructions I published that time. If someone has still the old version in his card, it's recommended to erase it completely before installing this one.

Well, I hope you like it and keep on there.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Mr_Biggs
August 7th, 2007, 00:39
cool stuff, i'll give this a shot at work tomorrow. get that JPEG support in for the M3 Perfect's 32 MB RAM, and pr0n sites will work! lolz...

anywho, love the way this browser is developing!

aaronblood10
August 7th, 2007, 00:51
woot...can't wait to test this out.

kcajblue
August 7th, 2007, 01:38
nice.
ive been waiting for a new release.
keep up the good work! :D

naruto777
August 7th, 2007, 12:11
This browser may have the slowest updates, but it sure looks promising.

gutbub
August 7th, 2007, 15:35
the slowest updates? besides bunjalloo, has any other browser actually been updated?

and to Pedro, good job and keep it up.

AaronRocksG
August 7th, 2007, 16:31
mine doesnt work. games n music sucks

DanTheManMS
August 7th, 2007, 22:48
the slowest updates? besides bunjalloo, has any other browser actually been updated?
On a semi-related note, I found it interesting that in the past week or so, three browsers were updated, all three of which hadn't seen updates for months: Bunjalloo, DSHobro, and Okiwi. I'd say that's some good timing really. All three are now fairly usable, though I'll probably still stick with using Retawq in DSLinux.

Meloku
August 7th, 2007, 23:29
You're forgetting DSOrganize Web Browser plugin, better than Bunjaloo IMHO...

Also, when loading Okiwi all that I got is a swirl on the touchscreen... is that normal?

Im using Supercard miniSD on a DS Phat.

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 00:55
You're forgetting DSOrganize Web Browser plugin, better than Bunjaloo IMHO...
I'm talking about ones that were updated in the past week or so. I too agree that DSO's one is very usable.

Also, when loading Okiwi all that I got is a swirl on the touchscreen... is that normal?

Im using Supercard miniSD on a DS Phat.
For some reason, I can't get it to work on one of my miniSD cards, but it does work when I use it on my other miniSD card that uses SCSD_moon.dldi instead of SCSD.dldi. Try using the alternate file or something.

It also sits at that swirling screen for a few minutes before continuing for me. If the top screen is red however, then something has gone wrong and it's not just wasting time processing.

noname1
August 8th, 2007, 01:02
i can't see pictures i only see text

M3 adapter
passkey 2

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 01:30
i can't see pictures i only see text

M3 adapter
passkey 2

Read the website to find out why. Heck, you can even just read the first post to find out.

kurtless
August 8th, 2007, 07:08
"allows to read files from the card (by entering addresses like file:///path, like, for example, file:///test.html) or Internet (http://...). Some pages are displayed fairly well (specially blogs, like this, which is preconfigured as the home page)"

Whats does this mean exacly?

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 07:25
If you have an HTML file already stored onto your media card, you can use Okiwi to view it. In addition, you can view pages on the Internet as well. Some pages work well, like blogs. The Okiwi blog is preset as the browser's home page.

rigor
August 8th, 2007, 10:31
I can't get it to work on my M3 Perfect CF, I just got a blank screen, nothing more. I have a problem too with DSO when I wants to use the web browser, it just freeze. My WIFI connection is correctly configured, Beup and others WiFi games works.

Jacob
August 8th, 2007, 11:15
sweet! works fine for me.
i look forward to more updates ;)

noname1
August 9th, 2007, 03:09
I'm talking about ones that were updated in the past week or so. I too agree that DSO's one is very usable.

For some reason, I can't get it to work on one of my miniSD cards, but it does work when I use it on my other miniSD card that uses SCSD_moon.dldi instead of SCSD.dldi. Try using the alternate file or something.

It also sits at that swirling screen for a few minutes before continuing for me. If the top screen is red however, then something has gone wrong and it's not just wasting time processing.

you need to dldi it and paste the files in the root
of your ds. You need the dldi too

DanTheManMS
August 9th, 2007, 03:18
I got it to work fine. I guess it screwed up the first time or something, as I did the exact same thing I did earlier and it suddenly worked.

kurtless
August 9th, 2007, 03:21
Well can you type in the Url? Cause I got it working.But I think it either froze,or I'm very very stupid.

I patched it and stuff,and when yo umean have a Url saved on your card.Do you mean like uhhh word file?From like microsoft word?OR when you drag and grop stuff from lets say,a bookmarked title?

DanTheManMS
August 9th, 2007, 03:50
Like if you were to go to File - Save Page As, save it as "test.html" and put it on the root of your card, you could access it using file:// instead of http://

You could also use the DSOrganize file browser (not web browser) to open that same HTML file if you wanted.

kurtless
August 9th, 2007, 05:59
All right makes sense now.Just one more question about my freezing problem.I started it up did the swirling thing,got to the main page as I call it.Then I tried tapping stuff and it wouldn't work.Know whats up?

bladedwings
August 9th, 2007, 06:41
The Web Browser which you can buy in stores, Opera, its just as good as this one right..?

Thebladeofsouls
August 9th, 2007, 18:50
Opera(has ram) it has images, you can check your e-mail, you can have cookies
This doesn't have that..

bladedwings
August 10th, 2007, 05:25
Oh ok, cause i was planning on getting Opera, which i still am :)

omgpwn
August 31st, 2007, 00:51
Opera sucks >< I have well its good for evrything but videos.. and sound..

Bigmojoj27
October 19th, 2007, 20:33
Very nice app, and I can't wait until this picks up and start getting more features. Keep up the good work.

DarkXtrike
February 13th, 2008, 01:39
which therev was a homebrew that allows youtube video to be shown

thetorsoboy
August 7th, 2008, 00:44
There are some things that I'm having trouble with. Firstly, it works great.

But, I don't know what all the buttons at the bottom do, and, I can't get it to show images. (If it can even do that)

I also can't get it to do text input, since the boxes that you input text in don't even show up.

crookedmouth
August 7th, 2008, 02:06
Though this is a good effort, I use

Bunjallo v0.6.3
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124216 (Bunjallov0.6.3)

and DSOrganize's Browser

Bunjallo v0.6.3 has download and uncompression in one.

masterchief929
August 7th, 2008, 03:37
Okiwi is completely dead. i new a guy that worked on the project and a couple months back they re-organized a team but then the project died.

Ecuador11
October 11th, 2008, 04:09
hi