PDA

View Full Version : DScent v4.2

wraggster
August 7th, 2007, 22:00
kayvenm (http://blog.dev-scene.com/kayvenm/) has posted an update to his port of descent to the Nintendo DS:

It seems most errors are occurring because of the lack of memory so I’ve add some code to check that and flush some cache memory when it occurs, so there maybe some more slow downs when cache is emptied/refilled but hopefully less crashes as a result. Also, this build is more optimized compiler-wise, so frame rate should be steadier.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

naruto777
August 8th, 2007, 12:01
I still can't find the .pig .hog and midi files. Anyone know a link?

crookedmouth
August 9th, 2007, 07:20
I still can't find the .pig .hog and midi files. Anyone know a link?

When you install the game on your PC the .pig and .hog files will be wherever you installed it to.

I have a question about the music. I could only use the root dir for some reason. I put all the files including midi.nfs. I get the title music but when I press start I get 'failed to open midi.nfs'

naruto777
August 9th, 2007, 13:03
Idon't have the game...

Echo1
August 9th, 2007, 13:25
Buy it then...

Mini Moose
September 27th, 2007, 06:02
Will the Descent Demo .pig and .hog files work? I'm trying it but it keeps telling me that I need a .TXE file etc....

DanTheManMS
September 28th, 2007, 02:54
As far as I know, it only works with the commercial version. Then again, I've only played one of the earliest versions of DScent, so I could be wrong on this.

Mini Moose
September 28th, 2007, 03:05
Dang. I am a "Die-Hard" Descent fan and I really wanted to play this on my DS. ):
I own Descent II, but not the original Descent. (too hard to find these days)

Akoi Meexx
October 3rd, 2007, 14:52
I've downloaded and run the nds file, and have the resource files for the game. However, after the initial video to the first level, the game just blackscreens regardless of whether or not I press start or wait the whole thing out.

Anyone else having this issue? Currently running it off of a CycloDS Evolution.

Akoi Meexx
October 22nd, 2007, 08:12
Hate to bump this, but I still haven't had any luck getting past the video intro for level one. Anyone else get a look at this and have an idea of what's going on?

crookedmouth
October 23rd, 2007, 03:58
As I recall the game that you get your pig/hog files from has to be version 1.5. There are updates available.I recall it being pretty hard to do. I might of even had to use DosBox even though descent itself ran under XP.

He may have even changed this in newer versions?

It might not even be your problem, and the easiest way to check is,size of your pig/hog files.

DESCENT.PIG
4,805 KB
size on disk 4.69 MB (4,923,392 bytes)

DESCENT.HOG
6,696 KB
size on disk 6.53 MB (6,856,704 bytes)

Homerun
October 28th, 2007, 13:57
Hate to bump this as well but I get fatInitDefault () failed
even though I patched it for FAT...

crookedmouth
October 29th, 2007, 01:18
This will probably get locked also.

What card are you using?

I think all your files need to be in a folder named dscent in the root of your card or all just in the root of your card.
I've got 6 files in it

DESCENT.CFG
DESCENT.HOG
DESCENT.PIG
DSCENT.nds
PlayerName.PLR
MIDI.NFS

I believe the .nds file can be anywhere, but am not 100% certain.

Another thing, on my Games and Music, I get that error and a red screen, but only after successfully running it once. Strange huh? So I just used my MMD.

Sigma83
October 29th, 2007, 02:22
Hi Akoi, I'm hoping to try this pretty quick, next couple of days. I use supercard hardware though. Did you patch the NDS file with the proper DLDI file? I quickly looked and couldn't find a dldi file for a CycloDS.

Akoi Meexx
November 9th, 2007, 07:11
Hi Akoi, I'm hoping to try this pretty quick, next couple of days. I use supercard hardware though. Did you patch the NDS file with the proper DLDI file? I quickly looked and couldn't find a dldi file for a CycloDS.

Sorry about the latent reply. I've been fighting constantly with DScent, still.

It's currently running correctly after a fresh card format to fat16, and turning all music and sound to nothing. Initially, I had a problem chkdsk'ing my card, as it kept erroring on akoi.plr. This was odd, because I deleted player to start over again. After trying to check for disk errors, it would recreate akoi.plr as a 0kb file, which leads me to believe that there's still some buggy file-handling in the software.

As for DLDI patching, look up the CycloDS information. It auto-patches. :cool:

Minor note, there was recent hiatus on CEvo shipments, due to manufacturing issues. However, Team Cyclops got it all straightened out and shipments have resumed, so you should be able to pick one up sooner or later now.

Anyone know if Kayvenm is still developing this? Or if not, how I could get my hands on the source to see if there's anything I can do to improve it?

Akoi Meexx
November 22nd, 2007, 08:39
Sorry to bump it again.

After disabling sound (turning it all the way down) after getting to run once, I was able to play for a few powercycles before it started acting up again. Going to spend some more time on debugging this after I get another MicroSD card... anyone want to send me one? :D

Tortisetank
December 20th, 2007, 01:37
I'm running into the same issue with my M3Real when the breifing is over so I messed with the graphic settings to low an it seams to be running now

edit
ok i got level1 working perfectly but there is a issue when trying to load the next level were I get nothing but a black screen if it can only do the first level i'm ok with that till the homebrew gets another update

crendon
January 22nd, 2008, 19:43
I've downloaded and run the nds file, and have the resource files for the game. However, after the initial video to the first level, the game just blackscreens regardless of whether or not I press start or wait the whole thing out.

Anyone else having this issue? Currently running it off of a CycloDS Evolution.
Same problem here; After training video the screen goes black. I own a DSONE slot1 card. I am using Descent ultimate version (it comes with descent 1 & 2 bundled).
I also have an ezflash with ez rumbler (extra ram). The problem here is worst...dscent doesn't load, just show a buggy image and then gets stuck.
Any extra ideas?

Akoi Meexx
January 22nd, 2008, 21:06
Not sure when the dev is going to release another update. I haven't seen activity for this homebrew for some time. =/

mtvenar
February 21st, 2008, 20:58
I get a error message saying:
"Error: Cannot open file DESCENT.TEX or DESCENT.TXB."

I installed Descent v1.5 on my pc and found the all the other files but these. Anyone else have this problem?

Homerun
February 23rd, 2008, 01:43
Some have a csk I could have? I cant go down XD

Aryn
March 12th, 2008, 17:06
To get this game running properly, you have to install the update patch to make your version of Descent 14A.

After that, I encountered fatal exception errors and errors loading midi.nfs (or whatever that file is called). To fix this problem, here is what I tried adjusting the detail levels to a lower setting until it worked properly, and then I played around with everything in the custom graphics settings until I found the maximum graphics/sound setting where the game is still playable. (In my case it was turning the object complexity and wall detail down one notch from maximum settings, and the sound channels down two notches)

Seriously, I would recommend playing around with the detail settings in order to get the game to work, because this game is a lot of fun on the Nintendo DS (once the controls are set to your liking).

Akoi Meexx
March 12th, 2008, 17:14
To get this game running properly, you have to install the update patch to make your version of Descent 14A.

After that, I encountered fatal exception errors and errors loading midi.nfs (or whatever that file is called).

To fix this problem, here is what I did:
In the Options menu (which can be accessed from the main menu), select Detail Levels, and then select the highest setting.
Then, select detail levels again and select the Custom option.
Turn the object complexity and wall detail down one notch, and the sound channels down two notches.
After that, the game should work without crashing. Well, at least it works for me now.

Mmn, I've tried this. I've gone through all of the various settings for Descent and still get data corruption, leading to crashes. This is with the patched files. Anyone know if there's been any updates to the software yet?

Akoi Meexx
March 13th, 2008, 02:11
Rather than edit my previous post here, I wanted to update with a bit of news: I didn't realize until now, that Kayvenm had posted the original source for this project in April '07 on his blog. While Id've preferred to get the latest source files, I'm going to make due with this and see if I can work out the kinks in the program. Don't expect anything soon, but hopefully we can get this project kick-started again! :D

-Akoi

Mini Moose
March 23rd, 2008, 00:17
I have no problems running this on my Max Media Dock. And I have a music turned on, and the highest detail settings.

But I'm disapointed that this wonderful project has come to a halt...

MrSkiz
November 14th, 2008, 16:26
Weird... It worked like a charm on my M3 simply, but while it starts on my M3real, it freezes when loading a savegame or starting the game from the beginning.

Does anyone have tested it on a M3 Real ? Any advice ?

[edit]Ok, I managed to make it work : it seems the player profile is incompatible from one linker to another. I don't know how or why, though. But DScent finally ran after I created a new profile.

@Akoi Meexx : good to know !