PDA

View Full Version : DSCompress v1.0 release

carpman
August 7th, 2007, 22:22
Via source (http://voidptr.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26).
Carpman has just released DSCompress v1.0. DSCompress is a gzip utility for the Nintendo DS.

Notes
=====
The Nintendo DS's ARM9 runs at about 60Mhz. The Nintendo DS has 4Mb of RAM.
Because of this, compression and decompression of large files is slow. The
application should be pretty fault tolerant, but I am not responsible if it
eats your file system, flash card, DS, home, loved ones, and soul. Use at
your own risk.

Known Issues
============
The progress indicator is inacurate, particularly on large files and decompression.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 00:57
This could actually be pretty useful really. Takes a while, yes, but could let people squeeze those last few programs onto their carts, decompressing when needed.

pas
August 8th, 2007, 11:02
He says he may add .zip compression too, after he released a ftp kind app.

Further he sais .rar would be out cause DSCompress is GPL Software :( Anyway, .zip is good to !

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 21:05
Zip support would be great if it could support archives with more than one file. Currently I use DSLinux to download .zip binaries, but its "unzip" function rarely works.

carpman
August 8th, 2007, 22:14
That is a possibility. info-zip (what you are thinking of when you think .zip) uses the same compression algo. as gzip. I've found an example of using libz to read/write .zip files. I have a chunk of free time this weekend, so I'll see what I can do about implementing it.

Sonny_Jim
August 8th, 2007, 22:44
Zip support would be great if it could support archives with more than one file. Currently I use DSLinux to download .zip binaries, but its "unzip" function rarely works.

This is a known issue. If you can compile your own build there is a patch for busybox that fixes unzip support.

EDIT: I've attached my copy with the patch applied.

DanTheManMS
August 8th, 2007, 23:34
Thanks for the binary. I actually can compile my own build from source, so how would I go about patching busybox?

EDIT: for that matter, where do I put the busybox binary you just attached? I can't find it in my "linux" folder on my card, so I'm assuming it should replace an older file in the source?

Adrenalin
August 10th, 2007, 07:41
BTW guys, theres been a release of version 1.1 and 1.2 now.