PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Xbox360 DVD drive

blueshogun96
August 9th, 2007, 18:39
I'm having a problem with one of my 360's. The DVD drive refuses to work. When ever I insert a disc (Game, Movie, Audio CD, etc.), it will say "Reading Disc...", make some buzzing noises for a minute, then say "Open Tray" again. Can this problem be fixed? This sucks. Thanks.

Darksaviour69
August 9th, 2007, 23:10
that does not sound good, is it standing up or on its side?

beetroot bertie
August 10th, 2007, 13:25
EDIT: Removed me own bad advice :o , see reply below.

The EX
August 10th, 2007, 13:55
Could just be dust. You might want to try one of them lens cleaning CDs with the brushes built into the disc.
No, don't do this, you can break your drive, forever. Next time, read the manual ;)

I wouldn't normally suggest something like this but one's such disc has recently sorted my mac out that was previously not mounting any DVD discs that I burned. Now it reads then again fine.
Mac's are very different to an Xbox 360.

beetroot bertie
August 11th, 2007, 00:15
Ta for the correction. I just though that a DVD drive was a DVD drive, regardless of what machine it was in.

As for reading the manual, pah! What do you take me for? ;)

blueshogun96
August 11th, 2007, 11:45
that does not sound good, is it standing up or on its side?

I had it on it's side. Does this make a difference? :confused: If so then Microsoft needs to make better stuff.

Xiofire
August 11th, 2007, 12:28
Have yew opened your Xbox 360? To flash or mod etc? If so, is it a Hitachi or a Samsung Drive? May be able to help with a little more info.
-Xiofire

Darksaviour69
August 11th, 2007, 14:23
best not open it, because if you do you void the warranty. I would guess the best thing is to get a new xbox of MS

blueshogun96
August 11th, 2007, 20:59
I haven't opened this 360 before and it is unmodded. I have no idea what type of drive it is. Is there a specific way to tell?

beetroot bertie
August 13th, 2007, 08:51
Here's a site showing the different types. You should be able to identify your drive by looking at the design of the tray:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

or by removing the faceplate and looking through one of the holes to check out the wiring:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/manual_eject_xbox_360_dvd.htm

Kichigai Mentat
February 20th, 2008, 03:44
Mac's are very different to an Xbox 360.
Yes, Macs are different than XBoxes, but most of the technology is the same, ESPECIALLY the optical technology. Except for the fact that the laptops use a slot-loading drive, and everything else are tray loaders, they're pretty much the same thing. The only thing that differs is the brand of the drive manufacturer (and that the XBox drive has a copy-prevention system installed). For the most part, it's irrelevant.

Kichigai Mentat
February 20th, 2008, 03:45
Ta for the correction. I just though that a DVD drive was a DVD drive, regardless of what machine it was in.
Actually, for the most part it is, speaking from experience. I've dealt with optical drives ranging from CD drives, GD-ROMs, DVDs in PS2s, PCs, laptops, XBoxes, even damned MiniDisk and UMD drives. Optical is optical is optical. Arrangement, laser wavelengths, spin speed, power, impedance, read style (CAV versus CLV), they all change, but the basic technology and theory remains constant.