PDA

View Full Version : NES emulator on the iPhone

xg917
August 10th, 2007, 20:04
NES emulator on the iPhone

the emulator runs too slowly to be playable, and the controls are implemented with an actual controller image.

http://iphonenes.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/screenshots/romlist.png

http://iphonenes.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/screenshots/smb.png

http://iphonenes.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/screenshots/megaman2.png

It is awesome, and just amazing that we've already gotten to this level on the iPhone. At this rate, we may not even need an SDK.

Emu Website: http://code.google.com/p/iphonenes/

JKKDARK
August 11th, 2007, 00:17
nice, i wonder how the final fantasy games work :)

VampDude
August 11th, 2007, 02:15
I've seen the video's of this emulator in use, at the moment there is no sound and the controls are slightly dodgy. But the iPhone hasn't been out long so what is available already is actually quite good, I would like to see a full speed/sound NES emulator for the iPhone.

xg917
August 11th, 2007, 04:18
do u think that the iphone is going to be homebrew proof in the future? i think that having the iphone emulate a few things is pretty kool, this cellphone is already the revolution.

x999x
August 16th, 2007, 06:47
Howdy, i've been absent from these forums since getting my iPhone. I've been playing in someone else's yard getting my iPhone fix so I'm glad to see there's a forum here now, where homebrew discussion belongs.

Moving on, let me address some of the points brought up in this thread, and hopefully shed a little more positive light on the situation.

1- Stepwhite's build of the emulator is what's being shown here, and in all honest it's slow and not very playable.

2- Nervegas' build on the otherhand is already on revision .48 and is finally fullspeed for most games at a frameskip of 0.

3- The controls on the iPhone have gone from downright unorthodox to something actually playable. I'm playing games like RC Proam, Micro Machines, Ms.PacMan, Donkey Kong, and Arkanoid to name a few. I've got about 15-20 games loaded, and all are playable i.e. there is no compromise. I will be the first to admit that the early versions of this emulator was a real tease since it was soo frustrating to try and play, but lastnight I found myself "doing the dance" with the ghosts in Pacman... this is where you literally control them based on their reactions to what you are doing. I can't do this unless I have good controls because you need to make quick direction changes. The fact that I can do this now on the iPhone gives me confidence in the device for playing simple games comfortably.

4- The Future of Homebrew? The iPhone has already had it's first firmware upgrade, from 1.0 to 1.0.1. The update wiped out everyones modifications, and put their iPhones back in "Jail." Jail is the term for being locked out of your device, and not being able to run unsigned code or move files back and forth -- i.e. the way it came when you bought it. "Jailbreak" is an application that will "free" your iPhone from "Jail."

Jailbreak has not been updated to address the recent firmware upgrade. Why not? Because Apple did not disable the hooks used by the modding community to get out of "Jail." Rather, the update took care of the Safari security issue, and could have easily did more to slap the hands of the modding community. In fact, the only downside to the firmware update was having to break your iPhone out of "Jail" again, and that only takes but a few minutes to do...

It's rumored that Apple have taken a relaxed stance towards modding for the time being, simply to gauge the direction their pro-sumers want the device to head. Considering they could have disabled Jailbreak all together, but didn't, makes me confident that as long as modding is less applicable to the mainstream cash-cow-consumer Apple doesn't have much to worry about. You really have to understand the level of control Apple has over the iPhone to grasp the importance of Jailbreak still working after the firmware update... This would be like Dark_Alex being able to use the same code tweaks from one firmware and apply it to it's successor without change and still get the same intended results.

5- There is sound on this emulator, however to enable it you need to kill the iPhone's mediaserver. To do this you need to install a Terminal program and create an alias for Sound and Nosound in your .plist. In other words, don't bother for now...

6- I have been told Final Fantasy works superbly. I have not tried it personally, I've been too busy playing RC Proam. Famicom Wars works PERFECT btw, and if you've got the English patched version it's as good as you can get to having Advanced Wars on your phone :)

7- Save states work, and so does suspend. Therefore if a call comes in while gaming, your game is suspended, and then resumed after the call by tapping it's application icon to launch the emulator again.

-------------

If you have any questions regarding the iPhone, instructions on how to get out of Jail, or where to find the tools to start modding feel free to send me a PM or post in this forum.