PDA

View Full Version : Why no 32X emulator yet?

Mr.Denny
August 14th, 2007, 15:27
Ok, firstly let me just say that this isn't one of those "make my emulator now!" thread. I myself don't have a clue on how to create or port emulators and highly respect those who even attempted to do so.

But why hasn't there been a 32X emu yet?. Genesis has been done and I can only assume that a 32X emu is a natural progression after that.

Granted the games weren't anything but glorified Megadrive games but I'd like to see as many systems as possible ported to the PSP even if they aren't full speed.

But I made this thread to ask--is it even possible to get a 32X emu running full speed on the PSP?. I can only assume it is but I leave it open for people more clued in on the scene.

JKKDARK
August 14th, 2007, 16:26
Granted the games weren't anything but glorified Megadrive games but I'd like to see as many systems as possible ported to the PSP even if they aren't full speed.
No. You're talking about the Sega CD.

Mr.Denny
August 14th, 2007, 16:40
Nope. I'm talking about the 32x.

Chameleon
August 14th, 2007, 17:00
the 32x system was an add- on to the genesis console, so youd have to emulate the genesis aspect before even thinking about emulating 32x

jamotto
August 14th, 2007, 17:07
If you wanted to emulate everything about the 32X, you would have to emulate both the Genesis and the Sega CD first, and then write up your SH-2 core and only God knows how the 32X sound processor works. I have yet to find a emulator that can handle that sound processor correctly.

Mr.Denny
August 14th, 2007, 17:29
Thanks for the informative replies!. :)

SSaxdude
August 15th, 2007, 05:40
32X emulation is much harder than emulating just the Genesis. Since it has two processors that makes it much harder. Saturn emulation is really tricky, even with a computer. The Saturn has two processors.

NoQuarter
August 15th, 2007, 15:10
why do people keep saying you need to emulate the sega cd to emulate the 32X?
They were two different systems.

bah
August 15th, 2007, 15:38
NoQuater: Your correct that they are separate addons, although there were a few games that required both (perhaps thats what jamotto is thinking of...?):

"In addition to regular cartridge-based 32X games, there were also a very small number of CD-ROM games for the 32X. These games were labeled with Sega Mega-CD 32X (Sega CD 32X in North America). As the name suggests, these required both the 32X and Mega-CD/Sega CD addons. The lack of a significant userbase due to the high cost of purchasing all three necessary components saw only five games released, only one of those developed by Sega. [3] The most notable of these was a new version of the infamous Night Trap with 32,768 onscreen colors instead of the 64 found on the regular Mega-CD/Sega CD version." - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_32X).