PDA

View Full Version : Memory stick f**ked

garwil1979
June 23rd, 2005, 20:37
Hi, downloaded and ran the 2 card swap trick the other day, and played about with some homebrew etc. However played Tiger Woods on UMD today, went to save and it would not let me, said there was a problem writing to Memory Stick, pulled out cleaned contacts etc tried again same prob. When I go to home, is recognising MS and will read from it but will not let me format/write to it. In my PC reads/writes fine, formatted MS and tried again, same thing. Tried a second MS again MS is fine in Phone and PC but will NOT write to on PSP, even in USB mode, just reads, wont write. Any ideas? All help would be most appreciated.

r8cer
June 24th, 2005, 00:09
Dont know if it helps but When i first got my 1gb mem stick I didnt format it from the psp, I put movies etc on it and it played fine. Went to save Need for speed (UMD) and it nuked the mem stick psp wouldnt recognize it etc etc.... SO heres my solution to you. go to gamestop,Fry's, etc But a new stick and return the broken one... and tell the (partial truth) your psp wouldnt recoginze it...and you just bought it =) >evil< good luck man

Onetonbullet
June 24th, 2005, 01:14
just have the psp format the mem stick

shadowprophet
June 24th, 2005, 09:37
I guess im not the only one whos done somthing like that :p
But hey money isnt free. If i get somthing thats broken you can bet im gonna return it one way or another.

Hats off to ya r8cer you make me feel like less of a dirty crook :p

ShinShoryu
June 24th, 2005, 10:13
go to gamestop,Fry's, etc But a new stick and return the broken one... and tell the (partial truth) your psp wouldnt recoginze it...and you just bought it =) >evil< good luck man

I'm trying to do that right now with my 1GB Sandisk. Unfortunately, I have the regular blue one not the yellow one or whatever color the PSP one is. So i'm having trouble finding a store that carries the blue 1 GB Pro Duo :(

Shannon
June 24th, 2005, 10:35
Sometimes it seems memory sticks are fickle. It's usually a good idea to back it up from time to time that way if you have to reformat it you can quickly copy everything back over.

I had one die on me when doing the swap trick and had to literally get an adapter to plug it into my PC so I could reformat it. The PSP would not even recognize it.

garwil1979
June 24th, 2005, 20:16
Have formatted it on the PC which works fine, reads, writes etc. However will not format on the PSP at all, have tried with another memory stick, same thing!

Chrone
June 24th, 2005, 20:21
Have formatted it on the PC which works fine, reads, writes etc. However will not format on the PSP at all, have tried with another memory stick, same thing!

Your not supposed to format it on the PC, apparently it can make the card unreadable on the PSP.

I've heard about lots of problems after doing so, according to the manual you are supposed to be able to just format it again on the PSP and it should work fine after that, but if thats not working I dont know what else you can do. Formatting on the PC is bad to begin with, it seems to cause alot of problems.

garwil1979
June 24th, 2005, 22:10
Problems started before formating on PC, that was last resort and as I say the same with another MS which has not been formatted on PC. Sounds like my PSP is just broken, anyone else had the same prob?

Onetonbullet
June 24th, 2005, 23:10
It is because It is formated differently than a PC.....If you formated the stick with a PC Maybe it is formated wrong......Do some research, I think the PSP uses FAT16....I'll check around for you....Chances are you might just need to format it correctly....BRB

Onetonbullet
June 24th, 2005, 23:14
OK....In windows format the memstick...Instead of using FAT32 check FAT,......

I mean It's already fried right? It's worth a shot....I think It will work....

I'm gonna go check around...

PURESKILLZZZ
June 25th, 2005, 17:33
I had a few problems with memsticks as static electricy is also a bad friend of theirs. Even low level for those of you using devices with memsticks and you walk on carpet. Formatting on a pc isnat a bad thing but you need to know the actual state you brought the memstick in . A few companies have download-able software to format their sticks and devices. I had 1 for sony cant find it but when my last memstick went bad I reformated it in my Sony Cam . Now it works just fine . I'm a noob to PSP but electronics is my backyard. I hope I helped a few people if you like you can also try the philips flash audio player format program it has helped with other memsticks as well.

:cool: