PDA

View Full Version : The PSP Gamepad Sucks for Emulation

password9
June 24th, 2005, 05:25
Well for the most part it works decent, but holy smokes is trying to hit "diagonal" difficult. In quite a good number of NES games, and other games is it almost required to have split second timing on the diagonal direction but with this sony gamepad it's virtually impossible. Anyone else finding this difficulty?

Here's my solution to the problem: re-design the pivotal pad so that the buttons are just a bit taller. Try putting your fingers on the top and right, you see how easy it is to hit off a diagonal? Now, try to hit a diagonal normally (i.e., with your thumb). Hard huh? I think if the 4 buttons (top, bottom, left, right) were just a tad taller then everything would be perfect.

What do you guys think? I bet it wouldn't be hard to machine a replacement pad.

ProphetZG
June 24th, 2005, 05:50
I initially felt the same way.

But after playing a while, the pad seemed to get "broken in" and I can now hit diagonals mostly with no trouble. I'm not saying it's an ideal pad, I posted my own similar rant in fact at emuboards PSP forum the other day. But it's not as bad as it seems at first. It takes a little time and getting used to.

But your idea of a redesigned pad is interesting. In fact, such mods may be easily possible, as well as having entirely new faceplates for PSP. See here:

http://image.lik-sang.com/content/psp/release/psp-release51.jpg

Not sure how easy it was to get that off, but it lools pretty modular - which would mean some nice possibilities for modding.

resinbowl
June 24th, 2005, 06:54
i agree sony's d-pads have always sucked, ever since the original playstation ive always had trouble with the design. way to hard to press down and diagonal response is way to hard on the thumb.
use to get bad blisters playing tekken and sf.

password9
June 25th, 2005, 04:59
I initially felt the same way.

But your idea of a redesigned pad is interesting. In fact, such mods may be easily possible, as well as having entirely new faceplates for PSP. See here:

Not sure how easy it was to get that off, but it lools pretty modular - which would mean some nice possibilities for modding.

I was checking what the d-pad for the psp is, and it's just a like "top". It has a pivot center (point) and then comes up flat with the four buttons. If someone just machined an identical part, but with taller buttons, I think we'd be in business. :)

Of course the other option is some form of USB controller, but the downside is the massive battery life drain.. unless of course, you place inside this remote usb controller a battery pack to extend the life of the psp ;)