PDA

View Full Version : Treasures of Gaia v0.1

wraggster
August 18th, 2007, 15:40
News/release from Stravingo: (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4557.0.html)

Hi everybody! I am developping a new cartographic engine for DS Weather Report that will allow you to see the weather for the whole world, and not only Europe. Now, I release a first version of this engine in my new project, Treasures of Gaia, available on my devblog.

http://idata.over-blog.com/1/02/24/71/gaia/GAIA-3.jpg

Treasures of Gaia allows you to browse on your DS an extremely detailed map of the entire world thanks to Google Maps (a Wifi connection is mandatory). The whole world is now in your DS! :) You can scroll the map with the pad or the stylus. Use the L/R buttons for zooming in and out. Up to twenty zoom levels are available, depending on the area.

The purpose of Treasures of Gaia is to let you appreciate the beauty of our world :) You can freely travel where you want, but special locations are also provided: the 851 places inscribed by the UNESCO on the World Heritage List for their outstanding universal value to humanity. These places are indicated on the map, but are only shown at zoom levels greater than 5 for legibility. To obtain information about a place, you only have to touch its location with the stylus. The information are displayed on the upper screen, where you can switch between a picture of the place, a description, or its location on a global map.

You can also browse the whole list sorted by countries by pressing the Y button. When you click on a place in the list, the same information are displayed on the upper screen, and you can directly go to this location by touching the "Go!" button.

Controls
A : hide/show World Heritage places locations on the map.
X/B : scroll up/down information on the upper screen.
Y : chose a place in the World Heritage list.
Select : switch between Map/Picture/Text on the upper screen.
Start : help.
L/R : zoom out/zoom in.
Pad : scroll the world map, scroll information on the lower screen.
Stylus : scroll the world map, select a place on the map .

Installation notes
- patch the ROM with DLDI
- put the file tog_cities.dat at the root of your linker!!!
- Wifi is mandatory!

Enjoy! :)
Please note that I submit this app to the Neoflash Compo. Vote for me if you like it! ;)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Junixx
August 18th, 2007, 19:36
I shall be definetly looking at this...

bowmessage
August 18th, 2007, 21:19
really amazing. I only ran into 1 bug in about 30 minutes of use :]. Something wrong with "Zoom level too important" on the R4. The error message usually displays like normal. I just had it where it wouldn't let me zoom or move, just showing that error. But overall very nice :D.

dser
August 18th, 2007, 22:54
Hey, thanks for this! I enjoy a mindless fun game as much as anyone, but this is one of the few homebrew apps I've come across that's fun, cool and actually of benefit to mankind too!
Cheers!

Buttertoast45
August 18th, 2007, 23:48
This could help me pass time when i'm doing something

Laos
August 19th, 2007, 01:20
This totally is what i've been looking for, if you make 2 more changes then its perfect'

Actually 3, no 4 :P

1. Offer the option of making and saving points that you want to see in the list so fast access

2. Allow you to save images ( or set markers to save your image. so for example, 4 box sizes of the DS, just on the map place 4 markers to make that box to save the image as)

3. allow to highlight roads to use to find directions.

finally,
hybrid so you can see nearby roads etc. turn this into both a leisure and tool!

Dude, I swear by this. THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS. I've been waiting for that leap where someone takes google earth and puts it on the DS. The zoom levels are great. you can see the whole planet, or go down to the view of roads at a birds eye view. with 20 zoom levels. Dude you didnt leave out all the basics too this. All ya gotta do is take that next step to provide offline usage (saving images) and make it a tool for road maps (highlighting direction/showing local roads)

AND THANK YOU FOR THE SLEEP MODE SUPPORT.

P.S. If you wanna jump furthur, also offer a roads only version with no satalite imaging.

Pilot_51
August 19th, 2007, 19:18
really amazing. I only ran into 1 bug in about 30 minutes of use :]. Something wrong with "Zoom level too important" on the R4. The error message usually displays like normal. I just had it where it wouldn't let me zoom or move, just showing that error. But overall very nice :D.I have the same problem with my R4. After awhile using it, it gave me that error with every single zoom level besides 1x, and for some reason restarting (power off/power on) didn't fix it until I tried it again today. The points of interest (yellow dots) were also messed up.
I don't understand why there needs to be a zoom limit for certain areas anyway; if I want to zoom in regardless of how blurry it is, let me zoom in.

Aside from that, it's a great app and I was anxiously waiting for a Google Earth clone. It just needs some more features such as favorite places; searching for places by name, address, or coordinates; hybrid or road map; basically any of the cool features found in Google Earth or Google Maps. More fluent scrolling would also be nice, it's hard to browse around when it needs to spend 5 seconds loading images every 3 seconds of scrolling.

Stravingo will probably never see this, but from the looks of it I think he already has much of this planned. I'll post where he'll see it if I find it going a direction I don't think it should go.

BTW, with the help of Google Earth, I found my house on this app.

JKKDARK
August 19th, 2007, 19:43
Very good app, and a lot of sites there. Good job :)