PDA

View Full Version : Japan's new plan: replace the internet by 2020

wraggster
August 21st, 2007, 15:34
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/japans-new-plan-replace-the-internet-by-2020/)

Apparently, Japan's minister of communications has big plans for the current iteration of the internet -- namely, to stamp it out of existence by 2020. According to reports, Yoshihide Suga -- the country's communications minister -- has announced that the Japanese government is hard at work on a newer, faster, stronger, and generally better looking internet. According to Suga, the new network will deliver more reliable data transfers at higher speeds, be more resistant to viruses and crashes, and will be 60 percent more charming. The ministry hopes that in setting a timeframe and outlining goals for the system, the country's technology industry will be able to have a hand in developing global standards while gaining leverage for themselves in the new market.

Man
August 21st, 2007, 16:05
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/japans-new-plan-replace-the-internet-by-2020/)
....and will be 60 percent more charming.

What ? how can the internet be more charming ? and i can see them trying to make a better internet, but i just dont think it will fly.

JKKDARK
August 21st, 2007, 16:11
oh well that's a long time, I will be 33 :(

Accordion
August 21st, 2007, 17:17
this only means one thing to me:

information control.

Cap'n 1time
August 21st, 2007, 17:23
this only means one thing to me:

information control.

Yes, but it's Japanese so it also means Hello Kitty will be in control.

Shyvnal
August 21st, 2007, 17:23
Dont realy understand how their gona do it... Internet 2.0?
Speeds i can understand, everything else.. well website layouts? dont see how it can get any better.

Accordion
August 21st, 2007, 17:25
Yes, but it's Japanese so it also means Hello Kitty will be in control.

ah yes… very charming, about 60% charming if you ask me.

Cap'n 1time
August 21st, 2007, 17:36
I dont see this happening honestly. The internet will eventually go IPv6 which is both a good thing and really really annoying but I dont see any major changes occurring in the next 20 years to the internet. I don't see any major changes over all in the way we view the internet though arguably 2nd life pulled it off... sort of.

zevende
August 21st, 2007, 18:06
That douche fails to see how long it would take to rebuild a new internet from scratch. If it comes to that, at least it's only going to be Japan. It's really not going to affect me, as most sites I visit are hosted either in the US, Canada, or Europe. I say screw Japan!

Mr. Shadow
August 21st, 2007, 18:39
So its japanonet instead of internet? OMG hello kittys? :eek: