PDA

View Full Version : PlayTV: View, Record & Rewind TV

wraggster
August 22nd, 2007, 18:42
http://www.threespeech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/PlayTV_SonyBrandEnvironment1.1.jpg

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV)

http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV

PLAYTV UNLOCKS FREE DIGITAL TV ON PLAYSTATION 3
Watch, record and replay TV shows on demand

Turn PS3 into a digital personal video recorder and record programmes to watch anytime, anywhere

Leipzig, 22 August 2007. At Games Convention today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the introduction of PlayTV - the software that turns PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) into a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). PlayTV will be available in UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain early in 2008, with other PAL territories to follow in due course.

With the ability to watch, pause and record live TV from a huge range of free channels, PlayTV reinforces PS3’s rightful place in the Living Room at the heart of the family’s entertainment needs. Whether it is recording a programme whilst watching another, simply recording a entire series1 at the touch of a button or for watching programmes on the go via remote play on PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable), PlayTV offers a simple solution to it all.

“The introduction of PlayTV really will extend the already broad entertainment credentials of PS3, and makes it an exceptionally attractive proposition for the whole family,” said David Reeves, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “PS3 already provides High Definition gaming, Blu-ray Disc movies, music, video, photo album, web browsing and PLAYSTATION Network support. With the introduction of PlayTV’s state of the art TV tuner and PVR functionality, PS3 is now the best choice of home entertainment hub for the whole family.”

PlayTV provides the sort of features you’ll only find on the most expensive PVRs:

* Two High Definition-ready TV tuners: both able to view, record and play TV in High Definition as well as standard definition.

* Electronic Programme Guide2: an incredibly user-friendly, seven-day interface, that provides the navigation for programming the PVR features of PlayTV – it’s fast and simple to use with either PS3’s SIXAXIS™ controller or the Blu-ray Remote Control.

* Compatibility: PlayTV operates on the widely available Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial (DVB-T) format.

* Easy to use: Intuitive controls, single button help features, tutorial videos and simple navigation make PlayTV a joy to use compared with the complex navigation of other PVR models.

Optional on-screen graphical display provides a wealth of information about the status of PlayTV and provides quick access to programme information, stored TV programmes and the controls to pause or record live TV.

PlayTV will also set the correct interface for either Standard Definition or High Definition displays automatically for a hassle-free viewing experience.

* Portable viewing with PSP: Seamless PSP connectivity allows you to set recordings, watch Live TV and recorded TV programmes remotely on the PSP via a WiFi connection (using Remote Play feature) – or you can transfer video files to your PSP via USB cable.

* It’s future-proof: PlayTV will evolve with time – with new features added and updated via the PLAYSTATION®Network.

PLAYSTATION 3 was already more than a games console; now, it’s a TV tuner as well – PlayTV is one more reason why PS3 should be right at the centre of the living room.

1. Series recording currently only available in the UK.
2. Subject to availability, country dependent.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV)

http://digg.com/playstation_3/PlayTV_View_Record_Rewind_TV

cory1492
August 22nd, 2007, 19:28
NA just sucks for this kind of stuff... "it's too expensive for hd broadcasting" when in fact the networks just like raking in cash from cable providers and other companies enjoy selling their digital boxes to cable/sat customers.

Just something that isn't mention in the above... playTV is additional hardware as well as software, right?

F9zDark
August 22nd, 2007, 21:18
Thanks for nothing Sony. From your US PS3 owners.

Really, when are we gonna get cool features like this? You claim you want a one SKU strategy well act like. Give everyone in your global fanbase the same options or don't give them at all.

Accordion
August 22nd, 2007, 21:33

Really, when are we gonna get cool features like this? You claim you want a one SKU strategy well act like. Give everyone in your global fanbase the same options or don't give them at all.

this matter is completely out of anyones control.
why are you so mad?

you cant support something which doesnt exist in that region.

also the uk does not receive any HD broadcast over Freeview, due to limited airspace[?] which means it will be SD feed through a HD tv. My samsung tv is perfect for full HD, but getting a good SD picture took work [and help from avforums]. the picture settings are very different for each input. unless there is some software upscaling, picture adjustment or magic i think the image quality will be less than desirable without constant tweaking.

however, dependent on price, this could be a very good method of transferring tv to the psp.

acn010
August 22nd, 2007, 21:57
too bad theres no such feature in the us...im pissed.. so many good fetures but not for the us ..... sony sucks big balls, really

F9zDark
August 22nd, 2007, 22:28
this matter is completely out of anyones control.
why are you so mad?

you cant support something which doesnt exist in that region.

also the uk does not receive any HD broadcast over Freeview, due to limited airspace[?] which means it will be SD feed through a HD tv. My samsung tv is perfect for full HD, but getting a good SD picture took work [and help from avforums]. the picture settings are very different for each input. unless there is some software upscaling, picture adjustment or magic i think the image quality will be less than desirable without constant tweaking.

however, dependent on price, this could be a very good method of transferring tv to the psp.

They can control it. Almost all digital tv boxes in the US have the ability to plug a DVR into it. The TV companies rather you pay for their DVR boxes but they cannot force it on you.

Sony can easily bring this to the US without any problems whatsoever.

mavsman4457
August 22nd, 2007, 22:42
Could we import it and have it work or would that be a no go? If we can import it then screw Sony, I'm importing and getting a nice new DVR.

Accordion
August 22nd, 2007, 22:47
They can control it. Almost all digital tv boxes in the US have the ability to plug a DVR into it. The TV companies rather you pay for their DVR boxes but they cannot force it on you.

Sony can easily bring this to the US without any problems whatsoever.

the problem lies in the fact that the UK tv broadcast is a single standard format, but in the US its less of a monopoly and different regions have different broadcasts.
seeing as this device is not an addition to the broadcast, but a container for it sony cannot control its use where there is multiple broadcast standards.

this has more info.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/gc07/harrison-sheds-light-on-us-plans-ps3-dvr-and-psp-tv-292330.php

F9zDark
August 24th, 2007, 02:10
the problem lies in the fact that the UK tv broadcast is a single standard format, but in the US its less of a monopoly and different regions have different broadcasts.
seeing as this device is not an addition to the broadcast, but a container for it sony cannot control its use where there is multiple broadcast standards.

this has more info.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/gc07/harrison-sheds-light-on-us-plans-ps3-dvr-and-psp-tv-292330.php

I really don't see what the problem is. Maybe I just don't understand the article, but it seems like a blanket answer to me (something merely to confuse). DVRs bought in my town can work anywhere else in the country without issue. People can even make their own and bring them with them from NJ to Puerto Rico to California and have no problem using it.

It just seems to me that Sony isn't trying hard enough. If these problems plagued other DVR manufacturers I can imagine these companies wouldn't manufacture them any longer.

Xiofire
August 24th, 2007, 04:02

This type of thing annoys me, as when you look back, the UK and all PAL areas get the shaft when it comes to game releases, delays and other stuff like that. America and Japan come first. But then as soon as one app or game or whatever comes out for the EU market first before the US, you guys moan and say how unfair the release is. Im sure some other TV Service/Reciever for the PS3 will come to America in due course.

(OK Rant over)

Looks cool, may finally be able to get Digital TV in my room as Freeview doesnt cover my area.

Accordion
August 24th, 2007, 13:02
This type of thing annoys me, as when you look back, the UK and all PAL areas get the shaft when it comes to game releases, delays and other stuff like that. America and Japan come first. But then as soon as one app or game or whatever comes out for the EU market first before the US, you guys moan and say how unfair the release is. Im sure some other TV Service/Reciever for the PS3 will come to America in due course.

(OK Rant over)

Looks cool, may finally be able to get Digital TV in my room as Freeview doesnt cover my area.

if you dont recieve freeview in your area then this will be useless to you.

as far as i know this is not just a recorder, it is a reciever, containing dual DVB-T aerials. this doesnt take any input other than that which a regualr tv aerial does, so it will not record any source only "freeview"

If you dont recieve "freeview" then this device will not receive any signal.

F9zDark
August 24th, 2007, 18:40
I see, it doesn't work on a standard cable. So of course it work work in the US. But Sony can just as easily make it a cable TV tuner for the US PS3 owners and be done. It will work just fine.

reakt
August 26th, 2007, 14:11

(OK Rant over)

I second that! I'm in Europe. I had to pay twice as much for the pleasure of owning a PS3 (compared to the US prices) and I had to wait a long time before it came out over here! Also, I have to pay more for games, and again I wait for longer before they are released (in many cases). Now finally, Sony treats Europe to an exclusive and I am over the moon! So stop whining, all you people in the USA!

reakt
August 26th, 2007, 14:15
if you dont recieve freeview in your area then this will be useless to you.

as far as i know this is not just a recorder, it is a reciever, containing dual DVB-T aerials. this doesnt take any input other than that which a regualr tv aerial does, so it will not record any source only "freeview"

If you dont recieve "freeview" then this device will not receive any signal.

With a decent aerial and amplifier anybody in the country can receive freeview! I had to have a new aerial fitted on a 10 foot high mast to get it. So the initial outlay was expensive (150quid). However, I've nothing more to pay (and I'm content with just the free channels) so it works out a lot cheaper than sky or cable!

F9zDark
August 26th, 2007, 16:36
I second that! I'm in Europe. I had to pay twice as much for the pleasure of owning a PS3 (compared to the US prices) and I had to wait a long time before it came out over here! Also, I have to pay more for games, and again I wait for longer before they are released (in many cases). Now finally, Sony treats Europe to an exclusive and I am over the moon! So stop whining, all you people in the USA!

Whining? Sure I don't believe its fair that Sony has consistently shafted its european customers. But for a device slated as the one and only media hub for the home, releasing a DVR type device in one country and not another is completely stupid.

How does Sony expect the PS3 to replace the horde of media components in one's living room when they release something that maybe 20% of the customers in their global market can use?

Accordion
August 26th, 2007, 18:07
Whining? Sure I don't believe its fair that Sony has consistently shafted its european customers. But for a device slated as the one and only media hub for the home, releasing a DVR type device in one country and not another is completely stupid.

How does Sony expect the PS3 to replace the horde of media components in one's living room when they release something that maybe 20% of the customers in their global market can use?

the actual device isnt that useful. you call it a DVR, which is only correct if those letters stand for: Digital Video Receiver.

F9zDark
August 26th, 2007, 22:37
the actual device isnt that useful. you call it a DVR, which is only correct if those letters stand for: Digital Video Receiver.

Does it not record the videos and movies to the HDD? I thought that was part and parcel with the device.

Accordion
August 26th, 2007, 22:50
Does it not record the videos and movies to the HDD? I thought that was part and parcel with the device.

the PS3 does the recording, the extra hardware is a DVB-T receiver.
Upon inspection the device is pointless to the majority of consumers; in europe if you have a PS3, you most likely have a HDTV or at least something of a decent spec. If you have a HDTV and a PS3 then i would assume you have some sort of additional TV subscription, with all modern services offering HDD recording as standard.
A DVB receiver is only useful to those without one, and that would mean either a TV of considerable age or of undesirable spec [15 inch].

The real value[to be determined on price of course] is the ability to output direct to PSP. Though there are various memory stick recorders on the market already.

F9zDark
August 26th, 2007, 23:23
I found this on the official PS boards. Others might find this interesting.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/live-from-gc07/video-of-playtv-ps3-to-psp-dvr-walkthrough-292538.php?autoplay=true

Accordion
August 26th, 2007, 23:41
For £40-£60 i would consider this as a purchase, but only for the PSP wireless tv uses.

Personally the idea of watching TV through another piece of hardware isnt appealing. If i want to watch tv i will turn my tv on, its that simple. If i wanted to record to watch later i would record to SKY+ and save my PS3 HDD space for all those game installations such as Resitance maps, Motorstorm tracks, UT3, Warhawk, and 1GB+ demos.

i guess having a laptop with triple the HDD space, + external 300GB and output to HDTV is always going to beat another method of watching video in my home. For around £90 you can get a PCI tv tuner and export to as many things you like.