PDA

View Full Version : I need some Dreamcast facts...

gdf
August 22nd, 2007, 23:04
Not like how powerful the GPU was or whatever...funny facts, obscure events, anything funny....

It's for a (not very) secret projectover at The Playground.

Any help would be appreciated.:thumbup:

JKKDARK
August 22nd, 2007, 23:12
It's still thinking

gdf
August 23rd, 2007, 16:33
hohoho, hahaha, very funny. i seriously need some stuff.

JKKDARK
August 23rd, 2007, 23:47
The Dreamcast is the longest sixth-generation console alive (November 27th 1998 - March 8th 2007)
It's the first console with modem included for online play and surf the internet.
The Dreamcast contains most of the best shooters from their generation.

Elmarco
August 23rd, 2007, 23:56
On sonic adventure, if you look at one of eggmans robots you fight, I think its Zeta or something, you'll see its actually made up of lots of dreamcasts! :p
(Seriously. If i had a screenshot i'd post it.)

quzar
August 24th, 2007, 01:09
In mainland Asia, a modem was not included with the Dreamcast, but instead there was a spacefiller attached to the modem port called a "null terminator" which had a tiny mostly empty circuit board.

In Japan, a special edition Dreamcast was sold called the R7 Dreamcast. It was black, and came with a network adapter instead of the standard modem (also in black). It was mostly designed for use as a commercial unit (arcades, bars, whatnot), but they can be frequently seen on the secondary market. The network adapters made for this are the only black ones availible.

There are over 20 different limited edition Dreamcast models, in addition to those sold with bundles in stores (Sega Sports is the only one to make it to the US, but there were also Sakura Taisen, Hello Kitty, and Resident Evil bundles). A good deal of these limited editions were made in quantities under 1000 and have both a small plaque and special colors.

One special Dreamcast unit was a Dreamcast built into a TV. This Dreamcast came with a specially branded controller, mouse, keyboard, and DreamEye.

The number of official accessories for the Dreamcast are astounding. Among them are: Standard Controller, Mission Stick (officially licensed by ascii), Racing Wheel, Light Gun, DreamEye (came in two colors), Keyboard, Mouse, Pop 'n Music pad, Fishing Stick, Densha de Go controller, Twin Sticks, and Marracas. These were only just the ones that connect to controller ports and even then only the official ones!

The officially made standard controllers for the DC came in 6 different colors sold in stores, but using Sega Direct (a reward system that allowed you to get free or promo items using proofs of purchase from Sega products) and counting special edition Dreamcasts there were about 30 different controller color schemes/patterns.

Um... some other random junk?

SSaxdude
August 24th, 2007, 15:29
Code named White Belt, Black Belt, Dural, Dricas, Vortex, Katana, Shark and Guppy during development.

You can restart the DC by pressing A, B, X, and Y buttons altogether and then press the start button.

As of September 2006, the Sega Dreamcast has more than 730 official games available in its library and is still growing.

It's way better than the PS2.

gdf
August 24th, 2007, 20:14
wow thanks, i'll be sure to use some of this. you are all contributing to something great.

Elven6
August 25th, 2007, 02:54
Sega had some of the best comercials when it came to its consoles.

If you have a GD ROm in the drive and you go over to the music menu, you can listen to the game's soundtrack.

beetroot bertie
August 25th, 2007, 12:55
Yeah, and some had Desktop Wallpapers etc on the discs when you popped them in a pooter. Chu Chu Rocket is one I can remember with wallpapers on it and Skies Of Arcadia has 1 image on both discs (same image).

Shenmue II has different website pages on each GD with different goodies like VMU style character animations, profiles etc. I particularly like the character sketches on disc 2 and theres a couple of nice promo movies on Disc 4.

Elven6
August 25th, 2007, 16:07
Shenmue one had the soundtrack on the discs, that you could put onto a PC.

beetroot bertie
August 26th, 2007, 14:06
Really? My PAL version of Shenmue doesn't seen to have anything of any note on the disc besides the warning track and the 3 text files. Maybe it's due to me having a Mac but I don't have the soundtrack. :(

Elven6
August 27th, 2007, 01:58
Really? My PAL version of Shenmue doesn't seen to have anything of any note on the disc besides the warning track and the 3 text files. Maybe it's due to me having a Mac but I don't have the soundtrack. :(

I heard they were, I might be wrong, or it could be your Mac.

JKKDARK
August 27th, 2007, 02:36

there were versions with and without the soundtrack

gdf
August 27th, 2007, 18:42
Wow JKK your knowledge of Dreamcast is something to admire!

jvilla1983
November 12th, 2007, 21:49
When the dreamcast was being developed there was a second console that was created by Sega of America. This console was so posed to be less powerful than the dreamcast, but easier to program for. The dreamcast was actually the more powerful system, but harder to program for. Sega ultimately opted for the system built by Japan as the successor to the Saturn.