PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh....memory card = dead :(

MSX
June 27th, 2005, 01:49
Hey everyone...my memory card just died :mad: :eek: :(

At least, I think it is...anyone heard of this: when I put my memory card in, the activity light continuously blinks orange. I'm pretty sure my card is dead, and it's now a useless piece of orange plastic with 256mb that can't be used anymore.

**** I'm pissed

ArugulaZ
June 27th, 2005, 02:20
Don't give up hope just yet... have you tried formatting the memory stick?

Power on your PSP with the memory stick in it, but no UMD game. In the options screen, highlight "Settings" (the icon looks like a toolbox), then "System Settings" (PSP with a wrench next to it), then "Format Memory Stick". Press X, then confirm that you want the stick formatted. You'll lose all the data on your stick, but it should become usable.

JR

Jdemon
June 27th, 2005, 02:29
You may also want to try removing it and putting it back in (with the PSP powered up) Also if you have any way to read it with your PC that's another idea to check before you consider it "dead"

Hey BTW how does this have anything to do with PSP Emulation & Homebrew??

"PSP Gaming & Hardware Forum" :eek:

MSX
June 27th, 2005, 02:31
I tried formatting the memory stick, but it says there's no stick inserted, and I've also tried removing it and putting it back in...oh well.

Oh, and could a mod/admin move this for me, sorry about that.

Onetonbullet
June 27th, 2005, 03:03
Try putting in a PC card reader, and reformatting it FAT (Not FAT32)...

Shannon
June 27th, 2005, 03:05
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a problem with third party memory sticks cause this happened TWICE with my "orange" little 3rd party stick. The first time I was able to reformate it on my PC. The 2nd time I cant do shit with it.

There are only two commonalities that existed at the time.

Same memory stick.
I'm pretty sure that both times it happened while using MAME and it happened AFTER MAME locked up on me.

The difference between the two times.

Different version of MAME.
1st time I was using the swap trick. 2nd time I was using the no stick swap.

MSX
June 27th, 2005, 03:13
Hm.....I was using the no stick swap method...

I wish I had a memory stick reader for my PC....anyone reputable members around that have a PC reader/writer that I can send my card to for you to test?

I'm thinking about buying a new one, then swapping them out and returning...eBay has a Sony brand for under $20 right now, so I might buy it and tell the seller it's defective :p --- that's dishonest :(.

ShinShoryu
June 27th, 2005, 05:13
I'm with ya MSX. Same $hit happened to my 1GB Sandisk. I bought a new one from Staples, returned the defective one, currently have the new 1 on Ebay and am buying a Sony 1GB in a few days. F*CK SANDISK!

2pac187
June 27th, 2005, 06:00
Here is a guide to fix your corrupted Memory Stick (it's not dead, it's CORRUPTED)

You know it's corrupted if when the PSP starts up it accesses the stick, then after a few seconds the access light will simply blink. For some reason the PSP doesn't want to reformat it; it thinks there is no stick inserted.

1- Go to Best Buy, or whatever electronics store
2- Buy a PC Memory Stick-compatible card reader
3- Insert your Memory Stick in the reader
4- Format it using Windows (btw, when you do that, format it using FAT32. You'll squeeze a bit more space out of it)

Blammo. It doesn't die, it gets corrupted. It seems to happen mostly when putting the PSP into sleep mode while playing a rom; my guess is that people are sleeping the PSP while the emulator is accessing the stick for some reason.

Best way for this not to happen is to put the PSP to sleep mode while you are at the rom selector menu (or any other static emulator menu). There are a lot less chances of having Memory Stick accesses while in these menus.

It happened to me yesterday, and that's all it took to get it fixed. Don't freak out, don't go out and buy a new MS, just buy a cheap card reader and you'll be set.

Onetonbullet
June 27th, 2005, 08:02
Can someone confirm save games will work using FAT32 or just homebrew?

I'm too lazy to delete my memcard to check for you... :cool:

Jdemon
June 27th, 2005, 12:47
Well when the PSP formats the card it's FAT not FAT32 so I'm sticking with that :cool:

BTW I have a Sandisk 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo (magic gate) and I have had no problems yet with lots of swapping (not anymore :D) and manny different MAME and other EMU's being tested/crashing/etc.

shadowprophet
June 27th, 2005, 14:49
I can conferm that there seems to be no drawback whatsoever to useing fat 32.
Not that i have found. I have tested this and there seem to be no problems yet.
This is not to say problems cant or wont develope in the future tho.
Believe me If this does happen, you guys will be updated to this information, as I will be on of the many on the forums complaining of a jacked up card.:rolleyes:
but honestly. i dont forsee any harm in this. and besides even if it did jack it up. One could simply reformat. I like fat 32 tho , it actuelly seems to be a slight bit faster. No joke :D

Onetonbullet
June 28th, 2005, 01:26
^^^Can you load a retail game save?^^^

shadowprophet
June 28th, 2005, 04:36
Indeed you can :) I do it often with metal gear acid.
Ive never had a problem with it :P

Onetonbullet
June 28th, 2005, 05:44
I'll be damned...

Saq
June 28th, 2005, 05:51

At least, I think it is...anyone heard of this: when I put my memory card in, the activity light continuously blinks orange. I'm pretty sure my card is dead, and it's now a useless piece of orange plastic with 256mb that can't be used anymore.

**** I'm pissed

THIS is your own stupid fault. :mad: WHAT did you do? Throw it on the floor every time you lost a GT4 race?... it seems old age doesnt make a hell of a difference. Heck mines 4 years old and it works fine. :cool:

zektor
June 28th, 2005, 08:06
I would bet that 9 times out of 10 that these "dead memory card" issues are nothing but corrupt memory cards that need re-formatting. I came from the Palm world, and my 1GB SD cards were always getting corrupt for one reason or another. Sometimes misreporting their sizes, and sometimes not reading at all. When you format the card within Windows, you have to be certain that you do NOT have the card open when performing the format. If you use a file manager like Total Commander (which I do) you have to go completely out of it before formatting. Best thing to do is double click on "My Computer" on the desktop, and right click (do not OPEN) your card path, click format, and format it full FAT. That repaired my cards each and every time.

shadowprophet
June 28th, 2005, 08:14
Yeah :D tried it yet? Its faster isnt it :D

easy_dog
June 28th, 2005, 10:25
How much extra space can you squeze out by using fat 32? If its not that much extra Im not going through the trouble of backing up my 512mb and formatting it.

Dr.Loko
June 28th, 2005, 19:50

**** I'm pissed

so, it happen to me...my MSPD is corrupted, and is the same problem that u have...anybody can help me? im tired...i follow the steps and nothing! when i put it in the Card reader, it doesn't recognize it..HELP!

Cross
June 28th, 2005, 21:40
hmm.. I am trying Fat 32 to see the space difference now.

Cross
June 28th, 2005, 21:57
Ok before format I got a reading from Windows Properties of 468MB of total space on my 512MB Card(I still think this is a load of BS!!!!! Just like the way of reporting 1 Gig on HDs as 1000MB instead of 1024MB as the computer see's it...stupid selling ploys...).
It has 467MB used and 706KB of open space.
This is a Green SanDisc. I backed up the card completely and now I am formating.

After the Fat 32 I have... a total size of 467MB. After installing all my files again its at... It will not fit everything I had on it before. So this does not add more space. I am not sure on it making things faster but I know I deleted a lot of my NES games and now I will remove a Music Video so after that I will test speed on it.

NM I had an old back up and forgot to delete the videos so it was trying to add all the videos I had backed up...lol my bad let me try this again!!!

Ok I went through the old Backup and removed everything that did not go i today, I also still cleaned out the NES games I did not want but otherwise I have 21MB of free space now... I am double checking everything and then I will check speed. It may seem to show that this is not a bad idea.

Things I guess szeem to start up a little faster, I have not tried an EMU yet but my picture thumb nails load quicker and my videos snap to but thats it.

Dr.Loko
June 29th, 2005, 03:22
so...i have nothing to do? is the same thing of this guy...MSX...but i cant format it, please help!

MSX
June 29th, 2005, 06:47
THIS is your own stupid fault. :mad: WHAT did you do? Throw it on the floor every time you lost a GT4 race?... it seems old age doesnt make a hell of a difference. Heck mines 4 years old and it works fine. :cool:

Ok, what the **** are you talking about? It's your own stupid fault for being an idiot.

What happened is a (now that I've Googled it) a common NesterJ problem: leaving it on the ROM select menu, and letting it go into sleep mode, thus corrupting the card. So it's not my own fault, so I suggest you shut the hell up before you start running your mouth.

I don't throw anything of mine, as that would be retarded. Why would I throw things that I spent good money on? "Oh, I have an idea, let me go spend $55 dollars on a memory card then throw it when I lose." I'm not a 10 year old kid :rolleyes:

Dr.Loko
June 29th, 2005, 20:06
so msx...have u fix your MS yet or not??? becouse mine is still a worthless blue piece of plastic...anybody can help me??? sorry about my english...i know it sucks, but im learning hehehehe salu2 a toda la banda mexicana que se encuentra en estos foros o a todos los que hablan espaņol...

Dr.Loko
June 29th, 2005, 20:10
so msx...have u fix your MS yet or not??? becouse mine is still a worthless blue piece of plastic...anybody can help me??? sorry about my english...i know it sucks, but im learning hehehehe salu2 a toda la banda mexicana que se encuentra en estos foros o a todos los que hablan espaņol...

aqui se los dejo en espaņol mi problema...pues estaba jugando con el Ou_snes9x_002y14, y pues no se por que lo puse en sleep...y cuando lo prendi de nuevo, ya estaba parpadeando anaranjado y ya no la reconocio, y lo peor de todo es que cuando la quiero formatear en eso que dicen...fat o fat 32, no puedo, ya que dice que no hay MS...ayuda!!!!

ZackRabbit
June 30th, 2005, 00:35
I just got a SanDisk 1GB MS for my PSP (Finally! it was on backorder for the past month) . I also seemed to have corrupted the data. On my psp it says 0kb available for my card. When I try to format in my PSP I get a message saying 'Format failed.' and an error code (8001007c).

When I hook it up to my computer it shows up and I can look through all the files and see everything that was originally there. If I try to delete or move anything I get a message saying the it could not specify a path. After that it won't show me whats on the card until I remove the card reader and replug it in.

I tried to format the card by going to my computer and right clicking on the removable disk and choosing format (making sure I do not explore the card as im doing so) and it always says 'windows has failed to format the card'. I've tried doing formatting in FAT and FAT32 and it always fails.

Can someone please help!

MSX
June 30th, 2005, 00:51
I've contacted SanDisk support (via SanDisk.com), and they asked me where I bought it and wanted to know the product code on the back....so once they get back to me, I should be able to return this one to SanDisk for new memory stick :D.

Shannon
July 3rd, 2005, 02:54
Just thought I'd point at that the 1st time my sandisk died on me I WAS able to reformat it on a PC. The 2nd time was completely different. The PC does not even recognize it.

consoul
August 5th, 2005, 16:14
Chalk up another one.
My blue Sandisk 1GB duo that I bought today has become corrupt after about one hour of use. Same symptoms blinking orange access light on PSP, not being recognized on PC. It's toast.

wraggster
August 5th, 2005, 16:24
jesus christ this is worrying

shadowprophet
August 5th, 2005, 16:27
So the pc wont recognize it either?
Has it somhow become physicly damaged?
If a pc wont read it thats bad bro :eek:

parabolee
August 5th, 2005, 16:35
jesus christ this is worrying

YEAH IT IS!

I have 2 1GB SanDisks! you all have me so worried I'm backing them up as we speak! LOL

I'm mainly worried about my save games though, everything else can be replaced.

shadowprophet
August 5th, 2005, 16:46
But I wonder if all those memory card issues people are having has somthing to do with loose contact pins, (here comes the sarcastic part) Inside the already quality product that is psp:confused:

I mean think about it, all that card swaping early on couldnt have been good for them, I wouldnt think :confused:

MSX
August 6th, 2005, 00:49
To everyone who's had their memory sticks corrupted: when did it happen? If you were on the rom file browser of an emulator, and let it go into sleep mode, that's what caused the corruption, at least it did for me and my MS.

Also, getting a replacment from SanDisk was very easy...they sent a link to me via email that went to the FedEx site, and the page was a pre-paid FedEx shipping label. I just had to put the MS in a box, print the label, tape it to the box, and drop it off at a shipping center. I got my new MS about a week later (about a month ago, that is), free of charge.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else :(.

consoul
August 9th, 2005, 07:03
Mine carked it after a simple USB file transfer. Everything seemed fine, the copy was complete, I hit X on the (jap) PSP to exit USB mode and then...blinking MS light. Game over. Putting it directly into my PC's card reader basically hung Windows.

I've got two other Sandisc MS duos (one blue 512, one gamer-yellow 1GB) and they've been fine. I've been using the 512 on the PSP heavily since December without any issues. Given that this latest blue 1GB died pretty much as soon as I got it, I figure it was just a bad unit. These things happen. Anyway, just got it replaced no problem.

criptix
August 9th, 2005, 17:43
shadow i think your right about the cheapness of the psp. My 256 sandisk just started doing what the initial 32 did.... saying no card inserted even on the pc. I disassembled my psp then put it back together now i only have to pop the card out then back in to get it to recognize. Annoying yes but not as much as a dead card.

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2005, 14:12
Theres really no getting around it, Ive seen products of higher quality come out of cracker jack boxes when I was a kid :(

wraggster
August 10th, 2005, 16:07
To everyone who's had their memory sticks corrupted: when did it happen? If you were on the rom file browser of an emulator, and let it go into sleep mode, that's what caused the corruption, at least it did for me and my MS.

Also, getting a replacment from SanDisk was very easy...they sent a link to me via email that went to the FedEx site, and the page was a pre-paid FedEx shipping label. I just had to put the MS in a box, print the label, tape it to the box, and drop it off at a shipping center. I got my new MS about a week later (about a month ago, that is), free of charge.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else :(.

anychance of teling us all te full details on what to do ?

wraggster
August 10th, 2005, 16:52
My card is fixed read main site for my instructions http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk

xphorz
August 10th, 2005, 17:04
(this xuphorz)

:D :D GOOD JOB BRO :D :D

SFC_ FrOzEn PhOeNiX
May 6th, 2006, 03:27
awww man this stinks! i only have $45 after depleating my money on a psp and a game. But without this you might as well use your psp as tissue. I.... dont have a memory card dangit! im looking for a 1 gig for $45 or less if you can help thatd be great

DessyDago
May 8th, 2006, 22:47
awww man this stinks! i only have $45 after depleating my money on a psp and a game. But without this you might as well use your psp as tissue. I.... dont have a memory card dangit! im looking for a 1 gig for $45 or less if you can help thatd be great

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80421&affiliate=pricegrabber

Mourningstar
May 28th, 2006, 07:51
Im trying to format in FAT32 to get more space but its not working....

FAT = 949mb free, 0 used

FAT32 = 947mb free, 4kb used

So HOW are you suppose to get more space with FAT32?