PDA

View Full Version : Here is a guide to fix your corrupted Memory Stick (it's not dead, it's CORRUPTED)

2pac187
June 27th, 2005, 05:02
Here is a guide to fix your corrupted Memory Stick (it's not dead, it's CORRUPTED)

You know it's corrupted if when the PSP starts up it accesses the stick, then after a few seconds the access light will simply blink. For some reason the PSP doesn't want to reformat it; it thinks there is no stick inserted.

1- Go to Best Buy, or whatever electronics store
2- Buy a PC Memory Stick-compatible card reader
3- Insert your Memory Stick in the reader
4- Format it using Windows (btw, when you do that, format it using FAT32. You'll squeeze a bit more space out of it)

Blammo. It doesn't die, it gets corrupted. It seems to happen mostly when putting the PSP into sleep mode while playing a rom; my guess is that people are sleeping the PSP while the emulator is accessing the stick for some reason.

Best way for this not to happen is to put the PSP to sleep mode while you are at the rom selector menu (or any other static emulator menu). There are a lot less chances of having Memory Stick accesses while in these menus.

It happened to me yesterday, and that's all it took to get it fixed. Don't freak out, don't go out and buy a new MS, just buy a cheap card reader and you'll be set.

MSX
June 27th, 2005, 05:06
2pac, thanks for the info, when I think about it, that's what happened...I left my PSP on the NesterJ ROM selection menu, set it down to finish cooking dinner, and when I started it up, the memory stick wasn't recognizable anymore.

How much was your reader/writer? Think you could let me borrow yours? :p...I'll pay s/h?

xuphorz
June 27th, 2005, 05:07
the PSP can format the also you know

MSX
June 27th, 2005, 05:07
xuphorz - Yes, it can, but the PSP won't recognize the card after it's corrupted, and when you go to format, it says that there's no memory stick inserted.

xuphorz
June 27th, 2005, 05:10
xuphorz - Yes, it can, but the PSP won't recognize the card after it's corrupted, and when you go to format, it says that there's no memory stick inserted.

oh, it said mine was corrupted one time, and i was able to format it :confused:
I've heard sony has a bad hardware reputation, is that true?

Onetonbullet
June 27th, 2005, 05:12
I dont think game saves are compatible with FAT32......I'm pretty sure PSP uses Fat16...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Alpha2005
June 27th, 2005, 05:21
Ok, I have heard that you shouldnt format it via fat32..and only via fat16 if your doing it via pc, which you shouldnt be doing in the first place.

Corruption = format msduo via psp.

Happened to me and im fine. I dont know the validity of the fat16 claims...

I guess you have no other choice but to format via pc if your psp cant format the mem stick at all.

KoviRobi
November 2nd, 2008, 22:36
My one still does not wants to read it. I have trried formatting in both FAT and FAT32, and when I try toformat it with PSP it says there is no memory stick inserted :mad: .

Shrygue
November 3rd, 2008, 21:49
Perhaps your memory stick is a fake or it has been damaged somehow. If that's the case, you should just buy another stick. If the problem persists, then the PSP's card reader could be damaged and may need repair.

Oh and please don't bump dead threads like this one which is happens to be 3 years' old.

Thread closed