PDA

View Full Version : New Game Idea, seeking input...

ClumsyCliff
June 27th, 2005, 20:48
Hi Guys,

I've been working on and off on a MMORPG for some time now and have decided that I'd like to make the first client for the DC. Now, before anyone gets too worked up, I'm not saying this will be done anytime soon for a couple reasons... Real life always seems to bugger up my plans, and I've only just started to look at DC coding.

Here are some questions I have for those that might be interested in playing this thing... Do you/could you get your DC online (kinda important if you're gonna play a MMORPG)? Do you have a mouse and keyboard?

Without giving away a lot of the details of the game, it's not one where your interactions with NPC's are pre-scripted and you just pick from a list of canned responses. So, a keyboard would be a huge benefit for anyone wanting to play.

For now that's all I need to know, but please feel free to make suggestions or comments. I don't want to give away much detail on the game itself, cause I'm afraid that at the rate I'm getting it done, a room full of monkeys could code it sooner and release it on the XBOX or something.

Cheers,

Cliff

quzar
June 27th, 2005, 21:32
take a look at lsjdcdev/dcrpg. it might give you a good basis for an rpg engine (and maybe you could help bluecrab develop it)

FrierTuck
June 27th, 2005, 22:26
2 acronyms, G.U.N.D.A.M. R.P.G., you could chose your time line and its already out there all thecustomizing and stuff it would rock, id pay 50 for it easy

josemci
June 27th, 2005, 22:30
I own a keypad and a mouse, and I'm waiting for the 1st online homebrew game. Thanks for your work.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
June 28th, 2005, 01:43
I have a keyboard and mouse (I don't mind using the keyboard at all, but would prefer not to have to use the mouse to play the game, so hopefully that will be an option).

However, I don't know how much you've looked at KOS, but so far I don't think there's any 56K modem support in there. There is BBA support, but very few people have BBAs. For instance, I don't have one.

...word is bondage...

ClumsyCliff
June 28th, 2005, 03:14
It's been in the back of my mind that there is no modem support in KOS, so I guess I need to explore that properly first. Back in my late teens and early twenties I did a lot of 'modem' coding on DOS for BBS's and Door games etc. That's actually where this MMORPG got it's start was as a Multi-BBS door game.

At this point I have no idea what I'm up against, but I'll see if I can cobble some sort of modem support together. Expecting people to get a BBA to play my game is even less likely than me writing a modem driver for KOS... :)

If that doesn't work out, then I'll just have to make it an RPG and live without the online aspect I guess...

As for the mouse/keyboard thing, mouse would be optional...

Thanks for your input!

ClumsyCliff
June 28th, 2005, 03:30
Well, KOS 1.95 does appear to have modem support, not sure if it's functioning at this point or not, but the code is there.

Let's hope... :)

curt_grymala
June 28th, 2005, 03:48
Umm. Did everyone forget about DCSquares? It has online features. Somehow c99koder got the 56K support working for that game, so that you could upload your high scores to his site.

ClumsyCliff
June 28th, 2005, 04:09
I know of DCSquares, but wasn't familair with it's capabilities. That is excellent news tho, it would seem that it might be possible after all to get some online capacity into the game using KOS. That of course is assuming that DCSquares is built on KOS... I'll go check out his site and see if there is any mention of it.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
June 28th, 2005, 06:10
Umm. Did everyone forget about DCSquares? It has online features. Somehow c99koder got the 56K support working for that game, so that you could upload your high scores to his site.
Does it really work that way? I thought the game just gave you a code that you posted to the DCSquares site. I don't know, though, since I've never paid any attention to that part of the game.

If there was real modem support in KOS, I would think that every developer in the scene would be jumping on it.

...word is bondage...

curt_grymala
June 28th, 2005, 14:41
Does it really work that way? I thought the game just gave you a code that you posted to the DCSquares site. I don't know, though, since I've never paid any attention to that part of the game.

If there was real modem support in KOS, I would think that every developer in the scene would be jumping on it.

...word is bondage...

Maybe you're right. I know he had originally designed it to submit your scores. I thought the codes were just for people without DC modems. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't have my DC hooked up to a phone line, so I can't test it out.

rmedtx
June 28th, 2005, 15:06
ClumsyCliff,
Do you have any screenshots of the game? It would be cool to see them.

ClumsyCliff
June 29th, 2005, 02:09
Hi...

No screenshots yet, all the work has been on the server and database up to this point. I think my first order of business is going to be porting the MySQL development libraries over to the DC so I can use them in my client. Not anything that would make an exciting screen shot... :)

As soon as I have anything even close to worthy of a screen shot I'll be putting it up on my site.

BTW, your BoR mod looks wicked, great work! You are quite an artist!

FrierTuck
June 30th, 2005, 18:18
So no Gundam MMORPG, we have to wait for gundam online i guess, oh well

ClumsyCliff
July 1st, 2005, 03:12
So no Gundam MMORPG, we have to wait for gundam online i guess, oh well

I didn't say no Gundam... I've never played it, so I can't say if it's anything like what I've got planned/in progress...

I suppose the best thing to do is update the site about it and then let others decide what (if anything) it is most like and so on...

I'm getting married this weekend, so not much is going to happen on the computers for a few days.