PDA

View Full Version : Hexen for R4DS.. need help

edzor
August 30th, 2007, 00:58
hi,

i have been trying to get hexen to work on my R4DS for a very long time now.. and i still cant get it to work.

i have gotten other games such as Doom, Warcraft Tower Defense and Lemmings to work, but i just dont understand why Hexen isn't working.

i have the Hexen.wad and its in the right place.

everytime i launch the game this message pops up aswell.

=========
FATAL ERROR
=========
W_initmultipleFiles: no files found

i was starting to think maybe Hexen doesn't work with the R4DS.

if anyone knows how to set it up for the R4DS please tell :)

gabzy42
June 12th, 2008, 14:41
did you ever get a response? I'm at exactly the same point: I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Followed the steps in the read me exactly. Cheers.

DanTheManMS
June 12th, 2008, 21:40
As far as I know, HexenDS only works on slot-2 devices with GBA compatibility. It may have received an update with DLDI support that I don't know about however.

Another World
June 24th, 2008, 07:45
i was just checking for updates yesterday and rich has not done anything with it. he is currently busy coding a game engine for the pc. i know it does make a .ds.gba file so you can try renaming it to .nds and see if it works. this trick use to work *sometimes*.

here is the info from the readme which may help you:
What you need:
-The wad from the full version of Hexen (shareware not supported natively by code
released by Raven, may be integrated in later versions).
-A flashcart big enough to hold the binary with wad (well over 128mbit).
-gbfs by Damian Yerrick for appending the wad to the HexenDS binary. You can obtain
it here: http://www.pineight.com/gba/
-A way of getting your DS to boot off of said flash cart, which also allows the arm9
code to access the cart's rom. I personally use wmb and a F2A 256mbit cart.

How to use:
-Place your full version Hexen wad in the bin directory where makewadgbfs.bat is,
along with the ds and ds.gba files. Also make sure you have gbfs, lsgbfs, and
padbin.
-After fulfilling the above requirements run makewadgbfs.bat, if all goes well you
will end up with hexends_wad.nds and hexends_wad.nds.gba files.
-Flash the .gba file to your flash cart, use the method of your choice to get your
DS to run arm9 code off of the cart. This method must support access of the flash
cart's rom section or HexenDS will not run.

What is broken:
-Saves. Hexen save data is huge and needs work to be cut down. For the time being,
a warp menu has been added under the "ds" section of the main menu for playing
around.

-another world

DanTheManMS
June 24th, 2008, 21:02
As it uses GBFS (Game Boy File System), there's no way it'll run on a slot-1 device unless it gets an update to use DLDI instead of GBFS.

And actually it seems I was right, it DID get an update at some point, just not by the original author. Look up "DualHexen" for a DLDI-capable version of Hexen.

Another World
June 25th, 2008, 05:09
thanks for the heads up dan. it looks like he fixed some issues and did indeed add dldi support. sadly the save/load is still not implemented. that was the one feature that kept me from enjoying it to begin with. sektor's last update was in 06, i'd like to try to contact him and ask if save/load is possible. it seems from my e-mails that rich has given up completely on the project.

here is the read me snippet for those interested:

2006-01-30 v0.26 notes - Sektor
-------------------------------
-Updated to DLDI version of libfat for greater device compatiblity
-A and B now work on the menu (previously you had to push Start and Select)
-Added libcartreset - Quit option returns to menu on supported slot-2 devices
-Level warp now works on DS-X (unexpected side effect of newer devkitARM)
-DS LED blinking is stopped at startup because DS-X annoyingly leaves it on
-DS sleeps/powersaves when closed
-Saving and loading are still broken
-I need a better icon

2006-10-27 - v0.25 - Sektor
---------------------------
-Moved from devkitARM r17 to r19b
-Added libfat support. Hexen can finally be played on GBAMP!
-Changed controls so you don't have to use the touch screen
-Saving and loading are still broken

-another world