PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Ideas/Suggestions

Allergenetic
June 28th, 2005, 02:34
I am not a PSP programmer or a hacker... But for those like I who cannot do such things, this is a good thread to give your ideas to those that can. Try to be reasonable on your ideas.

Personally, I've been waiting patiently to see a flash player for PSP. If anyone could create such a program I would give you extreme man-love. I'm beginning to learn how to program with flash from a friend and would love to be able to play my flash movies and games on my favorite handheld buddy. :D

Gamelver
June 28th, 2005, 02:42
If anyone could create such a program I would give you extreme man-love.
I don't think that's the best thing to say to get someone to make a flash player :p....

anyway, the only thing I'd like is for the SNES emulator(s) to be perfected enough to play most of the games at full speed with little, if any, frameskip :)....

psp_krazy
June 28th, 2005, 03:49
someone should make a Dreamcast Emu for the PSP so I can play some dreamcast Homebrew and Roms, especially Powerstone 2 and Spawn: In The Demons Hands

Terial
June 28th, 2005, 04:28
HAH... not to be mean, but current-gen emulation will probably NEVER happen on the PSP. theretocily you could emulate a PS2 on a PSP because the PS2 has a processor with a clockrate of 332Mhz (I may be wrong if so correct me). while this may work on paper, it would probably never happen due to how perfect the coding would have to be, the size of DVD ISOs, allot more, lol. I mean, look at PS2 emulation on the PC, it's not that great... bad sadly, much futhur along than saturn emulation -_-;.

however, with DC emulation... the use of CD-Gs (I THINK that's the type of media storage for DC... not sure, lol) ISOs would fit on a memory stick. it's wishfull thinking, but DC emulation would happen before PS2 emulation or something other of this gen would.

Anyway, DC emulation would kickass, but seeing as how no one has even started on a N64 emulator, and that no one knows how to make the PSP's hardware render polygons... it won't happen in the next few years.

awesome idea though, lol sorry if I came off as a know-it-all pessimist. I'm just pretty content with PSP emulation atm.

Onetonbullet
June 28th, 2005, 04:43
I would like to see wireless multiplayer for homwbrew...

Also more mame builds...

Oooooh, and filtered full screen modes like super eagle...

shizzle
June 28th, 2005, 07:33
would you like fries with that sir ?

psp_krazy
June 28th, 2005, 07:58
dont worry about going down hard on my dreamcast subject, I know that it may not happen for a good while! A man can dream right?!?!

WSOUNitePirate895
June 28th, 2005, 17:23
Would like to see some type of homebrew web browser, and more random applications... anything crazy... like some remote control for the TV (PSP does have that IR), but the Dreamcast seems very possible, we just need bigger MS to run those games.

Also would like to see the beginings of N64. I was wondering cant we use some of the stuff that has been compiled for the PS2? or is the codeding to far apart? being that they have the same specs

Greensprout
June 28th, 2005, 22:21
Just an Amiga emulator will make me happy :D

easy_dog
June 28th, 2005, 22:37
An emulator written only to run metal gear solid would be nice ^^(even though I played through that game too many times, I would even buy it if it was released for psp).

Fantasys aside a good snesemulator would be nice. But thats already in the works, just takes some time to get it fully optimized.

More homebrew games would be nice to. Id love to see a bust a move clone. The puyo puyo clone aint bad, lacks a highscore and some finetuning though.

Allergenetic
June 29th, 2005, 01:44
Emulators were what I was expecting to hear... But emulation isn't an idea, it's already well thought of. I want to see CREATIVE programs coming out for the PSP like the Etch a Sketch proggie. Maybe a MSPaint style program would be neat that saves the image you drew.

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2005, 02:03
I want to see the linux kernal.

Cross
June 29th, 2005, 02:13
I want to see some old PC Games:
Star Wars Dark Forces
Duke Nukem 3D and Manhattan Project
Serious Sam
Diablo
Star Trek Armada

Or a program/guide that walks you through how to do such conversion to PSP for old PC games like that (Like Doom and Doom II have seen)

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2005, 02:54
I want to see some old PC Games:
Star Wars Dark Forces
Duke Nukem 3D and Manhattan Project
Serious Sam
Diablo
Star Trek Armada

Or a program/guide that walks you through how to do such conversion to PSP for old PC games like that (Like Doom and Doom II have seen)

your talking x86 emulation. i guess.

Cross
June 29th, 2005, 02:59
guess that would be easier lol

Chrone
June 29th, 2005, 03:31
Emulators were what I was expecting to hear... But emulation isn't an idea, it's already well thought of. I want to see CREATIVE programs coming out for the PSP like the Etch a Sketch proggie. Maybe a MSPaint style program would be neat that saves the image you drew.

I think the DS is much more suited for something like this then a PSP...in fact it would be a waste to develop such a program for the PSP.

Thats where the strengths and weaknesses of both portables come into play. Theres alot more innovation to be had on the DS, but more power on the PSP. I personally dont expect many innovative things on PSP homebrew, but I have high hopes for the DS, and its already showing alot of promise in that field.

What I expect out of the PSP is lots of emulation, and maybe a dosbox type program. And I think this is the type of stuff we will see for it...but if you want painting programs...I think you bought the wrong system :)

consoul
June 29th, 2005, 06:21
theretocily you could emulate a PS2 on a PSP because the PS2 has a processor with a clockrate of 332Mhz (I may be wrong if so correct me). while this may work on paper, it would probably never happen
It will definitely never happen. Just to set it straight, PS2's Emotion Engine CPU clockspeed is 294.912MHz (not 332MHz) and PS2's GS runs at 147.456MHz (compared with the PSP GPU's 166MHz max), but at the end of the day clockspeed has little to do with it. The large overhead required for emulation would rule it out in any case, but the insurmountable hurdle for PS2 emulation on PSP is that the Emotion Engine is a MIPS R5900 (MIPS 4) chip, whereas PSP's CPU is a MIPS R4000 (MIPS 3). In that sense PSP's CPU is a generation behind, despite its faster maximum clockspeed. In short: you can forget about it.

BTW, DC uses GD-ROMs.

krowstrife
June 29th, 2005, 06:37
dreamcast has been completly emulated on a pc, it will be impossible to emulated on the psp it just isn't powerful enough no videogame system is currentlt not even the the Xbox wiht its beefy 733 mhz processer, we had even seen a perfected psx emu on a console as of yet so lets do that before we think of the dc

malachi
June 29th, 2005, 07:34
I'm not currently in a position to write PSP homebrew stuff, so this is just my dream list of things that I'd like to see on the PSP someday (that I think are realistic). It should be noted that I believe one of the cornerstones of the current community is easily portable source code.

Quake
Because the source code is available, I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility for quake to be ported. In a perfect world, it would be GLQuake with working network support.

p2p
A peer to peer file sharing application would be keen as it would allow people to easily share homebrew apps as well as other files.

web browser
A fairly robust web browser would be nice as a standalone app. I personally don't expect to ever see flash support on the PSP, but it would be handy to have a nice standalone browser. This could be a port firefox or some other open source browser.

file manager
An robust orthogonal file manager similar to norton commander, midnight commander (open source), or total commander.

mp3/ogg player with vis
An mp3/ogg music player with a nice visualization feature would be nice. The PS1 had something like that when playing CDs. I imagine it was left out of the PSP because it would shorten battery life, but I'd like to see it as a feature. xmms is open source and has a vis plugin framework with many open source plugins. It would probably be a pain to port, but that's an idea for a starting place.

I'm sure there are other things I'll think of later. There are lots of simple games that could probably be ported. In particular, something like scorched earth/xscorch (similar to Worms) would be a great hotseat (or networked) game. There are also lots of cool games like bzflag, freeciv, nethack/(z)angband/moria, etc. that are open source and would be nice to have ported.

However, some of these things are dependent on getting good hardware 3D support working and/or getting network support working, but I'm sure those features will come in time. We are at the beginning. If Sony doesn't try to destroy the homebrew community in a brutal way, things can only get much, much better.

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2005, 14:32
I would LOVE to see scorch/xscorch/scorched earth make an apperance on the DC and the PSP!!!! good suggestion malachi!

easy_dog
June 29th, 2005, 22:02
One game that would render any other useless would be civilization! I think theres a free version around of it, not sure if its open source though. But that would be a game that would NEVER leave my memory stick.

malachi
June 30th, 2005, 03:12
Perhaps you are thinking of FreeCiv, which I mentioned in passing. It is, indeed, open source under the GNU GPL.

http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Freeciv

watoto
June 30th, 2005, 08:40
i think it would be great if someone ported scummvm to psp.i want to play day of the tentacle and monkey island!it would run great on the psp screen too,and the analog stick would make moving the arrow a breeze.

as far as original ideas go,i'd like for someone to write any kind of music application for a psp.some sort of loop playing prograb,a basic sequencer,that sort of stuff.midi,i don't know,i just want to make music on my psp!

Romshark
July 2nd, 2005, 13:46
Well, I'd like an application that plays the following:
.nsf files (NES sound files)
.spc files (SNES sound dump files)
.minigsf files (GBA sound files)
.gym files (Genesis sound files)

Yeah, I like video game music. However, by the time I figured out how to code one, we'll probably have a full-speed N64 emulator ;)

h3r19
July 2nd, 2005, 14:04
hello there... i'm new here.. i'm from Indonesia.. i've tried all of the emulator that i've downloaded from this site, but no one can be used.. once i enter the emu from Memory Stick home menu, there's a PSP logo show out,then the screen turns black for 5-7 seconds,then go back to PSP home menu n there's a report says : "THE GAME COULD NOT STARTED [some number]".. I've put the eboot.pbp file at PSP/GAME/the emu name (such as: PSP/GAME/RIN).. I've tried this way for all emu,but there's still no result.. what's the mistake that i've done..? i use PSP ver. 1.5.. please help me solve this.. if i don't online anymore, please reply this to my e-mail.. [email protected].. thnks a lot.. god bless ya..!

Romshark
July 2nd, 2005, 14:59
We 1.5 users have to use special methods to put the games on our systems.
Read this topic
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6432
Be sure to follow the directions for 1.5, and enjoy!

Eolair
July 2nd, 2005, 20:27
The day someone makes a C64 emulator for the PSP is the day I'll buy one. Hopefully it'll happen soon. A port of the Frodo emu or possibly some other C64 emu like CCS or Vice would be perfect :)