PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast vs. Modded XBOX

maalsa
August 31st, 2007, 01:19
Okay guys, I have a dilemma. I just recently purchased a brand new XBOX (original) for the SOLE purpose of soft modding it to run emulators and homebrew.

A few days later, on a whim, I purchased a Dreamcast, not even knowing the capabilities of it when it comes to emu & hb, and after I found out it's as simple as burning a CD-R, I flipped!

Now the real question is, which one is better (XBOX or Dreamcast) for emulation? I don't think I'll ever buy or play any XBOX games, but I do have (and want to get more) some Dreamcast games. So I guess that kind of helps me make my decision.

But is the XBOX worth keeping for it's emu/hb power alone? Or can I get by with just a Dreamcast and some burned CD-Rs?

HELP!

Dull Blade
August 31st, 2007, 01:29
I would say the Xbox is worthy hombrew muscle. it will run Snes / genesis / n64 games alot better than the DC. but the DC isnt a bad route, I think its certianly easier to get started using the DC over the Xbox. However I wouldent sway 100% torward the xbox because the DC probably has alot of retro emulators that havent been developed aswell for the xbox yet.

JKKDARK
August 31st, 2007, 01:32
Legally, Dreamcast has better homebrew. Illegally, Xbox has better homebrew.

Dreamcast is the only console/handheld emulating the Sega Saturn (but it's not working with playable speed actually).
Xbox has Sega CD/32X emulation (and Dreamcast doesn't).

kid11111
August 31st, 2007, 04:48
the xbox has a lot of working emulators. just recently the cps3 was ported to the xbox and the game runs smoothly. except for warworld, but that is just 1 game. and for some reason no ones port the sega saturn to xbox. even though the source code is made public. yabuse current version seems to run very well on pc. if only it's made to the xbox too.

with xbox atleast you don't have to waste alot of cdr. just ftp them onto your xbox hdd.

BrooksyX
August 31st, 2007, 19:08
I prefer the xbox over dreamcast for a few simplre reasons:

-More processing power and ram (faster emulators)
-Harddrive that can be upgraded pretty easily.
-Has a built in network adapter for internet play and ftp access out of the box (no need for expensive BBA)
-DVD drive
-The Best homebrew APP ever - XBMC

That being said, I still think that the Dreamcast is an awesome system and it has some the best commercial games ever released.

maalsa
August 31st, 2007, 20:21
You guys all make some great points. And BrooksyX post put me over the edge to keep the XBOX.

I guess you can never have too many consoles, eh?

If anyone else wants to chime in with some more reasons, be my guest!

Baboon
September 2nd, 2007, 21:46
i love my dc but xbox kicks ass with emulation! ...its just a shame regarding the legality of it all.

VampDude
September 4th, 2007, 14:30
Dreamcast all the way, mainly because it doesn't need to be modified with a mod-chip or soft-mod to play homebrew unlike the Xbox. I might get an Xbox when I get my Xbox360 (Elite), because I would actually like to play some of the homebrew that the Dreamcast hasn't got whilst waiting for Xbox360 homebrew (which by far will be the best).