PDA

View Full Version : Twinned Towns

VampDude
September 3rd, 2007, 19:52
I've always been curious as to how towns, villages and cities get twinned up with another town in another country. I guess there has to be some similarities between the two places to even be considered a twin, but all importantly is my question which I've been thinking for quite some time and to all DCEmu members who live anywhere that is twinned with another place is:

Where is your village/town/city twinned to?

---

The place where I currently live is twinned with Flers which is in France, and the place where I spent most've my growing up is twinned with Le Plessis-Robinson which is also in France.

dejkirkby
September 3rd, 2007, 20:52
Town twinning is a concept whereby towns or cities in geographically and politically distinct areas are paired with the goal of fostering human contact and cultural links. In Europe, such pairs of towns are known as twin towns, friendship towns or partner towns; in North America and Australasia, the term sister cities is used for the same concept; and brother cities is the term in the former Soviet bloc. Sister cities often (though by no means always) have similar demographic and other characteristics. Sometimes, even larger areas enter into "twinning" agreements, such as that between the provinces of Hainan in China and Jeju in South Korea.

VampDude
September 4th, 2007, 00:51
Town twinning is a concept whereby towns or cities in geographically and politically distinct areas are paired with the goal of fostering human contact and cultural links. In Europe, such pairs of towns are known as twin towns, friendship towns or partner towns; in North America and Australasia, the term sister cities is used for the same concept; and brother cities is the term in the former Soviet bloc. Sister cities often (though by no means always) have similar demographic and other characteristics. Sometimes, even larger areas enter into "twinning" agreements, such as that between the provinces of Hainan in China and Jeju in South Korea.

These days there isn't much that makes towns twins thou as far as distinct pairing, when I was smaller I used to think that there had to be something identical about the two towns. I would actually twin Sydney and Newcastle for having the same bridge, thou the only difference between the two is that the bridge in Newcastle is much smaller.

---

Anyway, does where you live have a twin town?

kcajblue
September 4th, 2007, 02:42
i have no idea what youre talking about vamp.

Axelius
September 4th, 2007, 08:07
We have town twinning in Germany. It is called Städtepartnerschaft (Town-partnership)

According to Wikipedia Munich has several partner towns:
-Edinburgh (UK) since 1954
-Verona (Italy) since 1960
-Bordeaux (France) since 1964
-Sapporo (Japan) since 1972
-Cincinnati (USA) since 1989
-Kiev (Ukraine) since 1989
-Harare (Zimbabwe) since 1996

Man I didn't know that Munich had so many. Until now I only knew about Bordeaux :eek:

DarthPaul
September 4th, 2007, 08:22
i have no idea what youre talking about vamp.

Same here. What the hell is this?

Well I think I know what he means.. but this thread is very stupid,you know? But at least this is educative,we're learning geography.

I live in Puerto Rico. And it's twinned to IHAVE NOIDEA.

dejkirkby
September 4th, 2007, 08:29
The town I live in, Burnley, is twinned with Vitry-Sur-Seine.
Pendle, the nearest other district is twinned with Creil (France) AND Marl (Germany).

So you live in Trowbridge, Vamp?
And your stomping ground is Woking?

Axelius
September 4th, 2007, 11:24
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_twinning

sourced
September 4th, 2007, 12:55
argh, this is NOT time for education! leave that to school!! X(

lol

VampDude
September 4th, 2007, 13:00
The town I live in, Burnley, is twinned with Vitry-Sur-Seine.
Pendle, the nearest other district is twinned with Creil (France) AND Marl (Germany).

So you live in Trowbridge, Vamp?
And your stomping ground is Woking?

No, I live in Warminster which is 12 miles (and not far off) from Trowbridge (which thankfully I never have to go to) - Trowbridge is twinned with Leer/Ostfriesland in Germany. And yeah, Woking is my stomping ground - it still is when I go and see my uncle (every once in a blue moon) :D

bah
September 4th, 2007, 14:11
At least here in Aus, there's sometimes 'sister cities' in other places in the world.

It's generally accepted its an excuse for local town councilors to make overseas trips that have no other justification in terms of any benefit to those paying for it.

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 12:54
At least here in Aus, there's sometimes 'sister cities' in other places in the world.

It's generally accepted its an excuse for local town councilors to make overseas trips that have no other justification in terms of any benefit to those paying for it.

So in Australia they do it for no reason whatsoever but to get a FREE trip, that kinda sucks really.

bah
September 5th, 2007, 13:24
Oh they give the same (dubious) reasons like 'good will' etc as they do elsewhere, it's just widely understood (at least amongst all the people I know, of a wide age range) that that's just pollie-speak for free holiday.

Call me cynical but when a programs only effect is that local councilors get paid holidays to the place (with no real agenda and return with nothing of benefit), then I start to feel perhaps that is its purpose for existing.

I doubt its much different anywhere, the pollies from the other countries are pictured in the local paper on their free holiday paid for by their tax/rate payers now and then.

'Politics' is a compound word: 'poly', meaning many, and 'ticks', being blood sucking parasites.