PDA

View Full Version : New Graphics Card

SnesR0X
September 5th, 2007, 03:18
I want to get a better graphics card eventually, not right away, but in the near future. Any suggestions on what I should get? Right now my current setup is:

EVGA 7600GT
intel Core 2 duo E6750 (2.66 GHz)
ASUS P5K SE Motherboard (It can go up to quad core :P)
2 gigs of DDR2 ram, OCZ Special Ops Edition
186 gig hard drive
Vista

Feel free to post your own setup too (I'm curious)
I would have posted this in the PC section, but I know that this will have way more people posting.

Buddy4point0
September 5th, 2007, 03:53
nice. so im buying an nvidia 8800 ultra soon, its amazing.
right now i got 4.8 GHz prossecor n a nvidia 7100. :P

BrooksyX
September 5th, 2007, 05:37
Your guy's setups kill mine:

Ati Radeon 9250 - 256 MB (my 9600XT died :()
Asus K8U-X Socket 754 Mobo
Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2ghz
1 GB of Ram
80 GB WD Sata HDD
75 GB WD Raptor Sata HDD

I'm probably going to buy a better video card around Christmas time.

Cap'n 1time
September 5th, 2007, 08:58
I strongly recommend an nvidia geforce 8 series card. Some times you can save money by unlocking extra bits of the hardware on seemingly lower ended cards so be sure you do some research on that too.

Axelius
September 5th, 2007, 09:16
hmmm, my PC seems to be a bit older tnan yours:

NVidia GeForce 4200 TI
Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz (no DualCore or even HT support or anything)
1GB of Ram (well, that's the only thing that is okay today)

But I'm thinking about buying a new PC at dell these days.

Cap'n 1time
September 5th, 2007, 09:22

NVidia GeForce 4200 TI

Ah, the ti 4200. Thats up there in my memories with the Voodoo 2 as it was the first really good card I had since the days of 3dfx. I still use it in my mythTV box as linux seems to love the 4200 (easy as hell to configure in comparison to some of the more modern cards).

You need an upgrade though. If your low on cash a 7600 GS is a great card.

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 13:04
I'm just using the factory setup for my PC, except I have a T.V. card installed.

Buddy4point0
September 5th, 2007, 19:59

NVidia GeForce 4200 TI

good idea

scarph
September 5th, 2007, 23:18
i really cant tell a big difference between nvidia and ati. nowadays nvidia is the king of the laptop market. ati doesnt even offer drivers for their laptop models anymore.

i know that didnt help at all
but i had to say it

pibs
September 5th, 2007, 23:37
I got a pretty weak setup but gets the job done.

Its a Dell Optiplex GX620
Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz dual core
2.00GB RAM
232GB HDD
256MB ATI RADEON X600
Tv-Tuner Card

im not so sure on the motherboard id have to check but i want something faster for ps2 emulation :)

SnesR0X
September 5th, 2007, 23:59
I'm just using the factory setup for my PC, except I have a T.V. card installed.

Know anything about your hardware?

I strongly recommend an nvidia geforce 8 series card. Some times you can save money by unlocking extra bits of the hardware on seemingly lower ended cards so be sure you do some research on that too.

I'll check into that, thanks.

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:01
I got a pretty weak setup but gets the job done.

Its a Dell Optiplex GX620
Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz dual core
2.00GB RAM
232GB HDD
256MB ATI RADEON X600

im not so sure on the motherboard id have to check but i want something faster for ps2 emulation :)

nvidia GEFORCE 8800 ultra.

pibs
September 6th, 2007, 00:05

whats the difference between the Gtx and the Ultra, cuz the Gtx is $100 less

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:09
whats the difference between the Gtx and the Ultra, cuz the Gtx is $100 less

if you look at the specs theres a big difference, in speed and features. if you want to run pretty much any game with graphics all the way maxed and at full speed, also ps2 emulation, go with the ultra. the gtx is still an amazing card thuogh, and you shouldnt have a problem running games maxed at full with it, but still better to think ahead

SnesR0X
September 6th, 2007, 00:11

What's the price at a good store in the U.S.? Everything is cheaper there....

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:15
What's the price at a good store in the U.S.? Everything is cheaper there....

i usually buy stuff ofline, at a good site its usually 500-600$ but the gtx is only around 350-500 and its still really powerful... just not quite as powerful, and i demand power.

pibs
September 6th, 2007, 00:16
the gtx is more in my price range and if its decent then ill go with that, its only $460 compared to the $630 ultra. thanks 4 the info buddy ill be getting it off amazon :)

BrooksyX
September 6th, 2007, 02:48
I bet it it is even cheaper at Newegg.com
they always have amazing deals on computer parts.

SnesR0X
September 6th, 2007, 04:08
i usually buy stuff ofline, at a good site its usually 500-600$ but the gtx is only around 350-500 and its still really powerful... just not quite as powerful, and i demand power.

I think I'm going to wait until the Geforce 9000 series comes out now actually, so the price comes down. I want the really good cards, but it's so much money!:p

Axelius
September 6th, 2007, 09:34
Waiting for anything with computers is stupid: As soon as the piece of hardware you've waited for, some new hardware will be coming out, that is worth waiting for...

As soon as you need more performance, buy it. Don't wait for anything. It's not worth it.

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 19:56
Waiting for anything with computers is stupid: As soon as the piece of hardware you've waited for, some new hardware will be coming out, that is worth waiting for...

As soon as you need more performance, buy it. Don't wait for anything. It's not worth it.

very much my opinion, as soon as u buy something something better comes out, why wait? the same thing is going to happen again. plus since its not out yet theres no games getting made that need it, your gonna get outdated nomatter what man, i would def go with the 8800.

plus im sure that since not only is a 9000 card gonna be amazing, its new, which means its gonna be realy expensive!

SnesR0X
September 6th, 2007, 20:18

Well, it's like this. pay 700 for the card I want, or, wait a couple of months and get the same one for 200 less.
I don't NEED the card right now, and I don't have the money so I don't care.

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 20:23
my only problem with doing that is that if i wait and plan on buying the cheaper one when the new one comes out and the old one gets cheaper, cant. lol ill take out a lone and buy the expensive good one. im a power lover haha

SnesR0X
September 7th, 2007, 10:34
my only problem with doing that is that if i wait and plan on buying the cheaper one when the new one comes out and the old one gets cheaper, cant. lol ill take out a lone and buy the expensive good one. im a power lover haha

Same here mostly buddy, it's just, you know. Spending money sucks:(