PDA

View Full Version : Strength of a DVD burner laser.

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 13:36
I never knew that a DVD burner laser could burn through things, I always thought it was only powerful enough to burn data into thin plastic discs...

...But this video proves otherwise, the laser (inside a mini mag flashlight) is powerful enough to light a match and pop a balloon from a short distance! (possibly even more) :D

CgJ0EpxjZBU

Axelius
September 5th, 2007, 14:31
Looks nice, but somehow I do not believe this. It's not the power of the laser what makes me wonder, but that this is so easily done. As far as I know you have to use the exact voltage the LED is made for, and I don't think this is 3.0V.

But I've learned all this electricity stuff two years ago in school...so I could be wrong.

dejkirkby
September 5th, 2007, 15:45
The owner of the vid doesn't allow embedding!

JPJunkie
September 5th, 2007, 16:59
I can't watch it could you give us the link please

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 17:37
The owner of the vid doesn't allow embedding!

I just noticed that :confused:

I can't watch it could you give us the link please

Double click the video to be taken to the exact space on YouTube where the video is! (easier done than said) :D

JPJunkie
September 5th, 2007, 17:39
Thanks I watched it!

Thats pretty cool

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 17:44
Thanks I watched it!

Thats pretty cool

It is, I want to try it out sometime to see if it's possible :)

cal360
September 5th, 2007, 17:54
If a kid got hold of something like that a lot of people would become blind.

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 17:59
If a kid got hold of something like that a lot of people would become blind.

They would, but what kid would be able to get ahold of one of these thou? And the ability to make it even?

cal360
September 5th, 2007, 18:01
They would, but what kid would be able to get ahold of one of these thou? And the ability to make it even?

I don't know but precaution should be taken if one is made to keep it out of a childs reach.

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 18:04
I don't know but precaution should be taken if one is made to keep it out of a childs reach.

I think that whoever makes one will take the precautions enough to keep the device from a child's reach.

ExcruciationX
September 5th, 2007, 20:36
Awesome!

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 20:38
Awesome!

I bet your laser is stronger, I want a blueprint of your laser! :p

Mr. Shadow
September 5th, 2007, 20:42
His blue print is to compilcated with bunchs and digits that wouldn't make sense to us.

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 20:44
His blue print is to compilcated with bunchs and digits that wouldn't make sense to us.

You would be surprised at what makes sense to me, you are indeed a silly human after all!

Shrygue
September 5th, 2007, 20:47
Please keep on topic. Anyway that's one good video to see, never thought a DVD laser was that strong.

Mr. Shadow
September 5th, 2007, 20:51
You would be surprised at what makes sense to me, you are indeed a silly human after all!

Silly human of course like you can tell me what i am. I hate vampires now.:mad:
Anyways i saw something like this a while back but it wasn't that powerful, that scared me as laser guns and crap would and could be created. This world scares me.:(

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 20:58
Please keep on topic. Anyway that's one good video to see, never thought a DVD laser was that strong.

I never thought a DVD laser could burn anything much past writing data onto a DVD-R, which is quite scary considering that they can be dangerous. All I've ever been worried about with the laser lens on any CD/DVD related product is if I would damage my eyesight by looking into it and now I know the full power of the laser that sits in my PC's DVD-R... Scary stuff!

Sonicboy 101
September 5th, 2007, 21:01
That looks cool to try out.
But knowing me, I'd probably do meself an injury! :p

VampDude
September 5th, 2007, 21:06
That looks cool to try out.
But knowing me, I'd probably do meself an injury! :p

lol, you probably would. You can actually buy lasers of that caliber for something like £200+ (which I might get one) :D

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:13
thats awsome! but i dont know if i want to buy a dvd burner to make a lazer

SnesR0X
September 6th, 2007, 00:18
I wonder if you could use a blu-ray writer...

VampDude
September 6th, 2007, 00:19
thats awsome! but i dont know if i want to buy a dvd burner to make a lazer

You wouldn't need to buy one, you could always wait until someone has a slightly faulty DVD drive and snag it! :D

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 00:40
You wouldn't need to buy one, you could always wait until someone has a slightly faulty DVD drive and snag it! :D

MY OLD PC!!!!!!!!! ZOMG!
i acually might do this, if i do ill poost my results

kcajblue
September 6th, 2007, 00:43
i didnt know kipkay had a youtube.
i watched his videos on metacafe.

ExcruciationX
September 6th, 2007, 00:47
MY OLD PC!!!!!!!!! ZOMG!
I'd like to see.

Axelius
September 6th, 2007, 09:36
Okay, I now believe this video, as I've seen more videos of this guy on youtube...

Man
September 6th, 2007, 11:53
You can buy military grade lasers like these that will light cigarettes, and pop balloons from a long ways away, but there close to 1000$ so i dont really think its worth it. Iv seen this video before, and it looks pretty sweet, but i dont have the materials or the skills to put one together.

VampDude
September 6th, 2007, 14:47
I wonder if you could use a blu-ray writer...

You probably could (laser should be way better), but that is like throwing away $450-$1000 whereas you can buy a DVD writer for as little as $30-$70

MY OLD PC!!!!!!!!! ZOMG!

I want to see if you can make one! :p

i didnt know kipkay had a youtube.
i watched his videos on metacafe.

I saw this video on Metacafe, which then I decided to look it up on YouTube :)

You can buy military grade lasers like these that will light cigarettes, and pop balloons from a long ways away, but there close to 1000$ so i dont really think its worth it. Iv seen this video before, and it looks pretty sweet, but i dont have the materials or the skills to put one together.

It looks/sounds easy enough thou! :D

Kramer
September 6th, 2007, 15:05
Woah I want to make one.
Can you just use one of those common laser pointers housing?
I wish there was more detailed instructions...

VampDude
September 6th, 2007, 15:29
Woah I want to make one.
Can you just use one of those common laser pointers housing?
I wish there was more detailed instructions...

I think you can, the video only shows a Maglite but I suppose you can use anything.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
September 10th, 2007, 05:05
yes this is true. im in the laser "scene". go to candlepowerforums.com if youre interested. theyre really fun, you can get some cool green lasers and burn things. and YES you can really see the beam through the air.

and to answer more questions, no, you can not make one with an average pointer, you will blow the diode.

yes, you can use a blu ray diode, but you risk blowing it. there are blu ray laser pointers out there for about two thousand dollars. check out wickedlasers.com for those.

Cap'n 1time
September 10th, 2007, 08:40
Has anyone tried mounting a DVD burners laser on a shark? just a thought.

dejkirkby
September 10th, 2007, 09:15
Scott Evil did!

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 16:42
Has anyone tried mounting a DVD burners laser on a shark? just a thought.

Scott Evil did!

He put lasers on the sharks, but not DVD lasers...

...The sharks zapped each other thou! lol :p

---

Wonder if a laser would work underwater the same?

dejkirkby
September 10th, 2007, 19:46
The film doesn't confirm or deny whether they were DVD lasers...

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 19:49
The film doesn't confirm or deny whether they were DVD lasers...

Ah, but the film came out in 1997 and I don't think DVD's were out then thou?

dejkirkby
September 10th, 2007, 19:57
Of course they were, but nevertheless, Goldmember was released in 2002.

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 20:16
Of course they were, but nevertheless, Goldmember was released in 2002.

Goldmember came out in 2002, but didn't DVD's start to come out in early 1998? Just after the first film and a good year before the second?

dejkirkby
September 10th, 2007, 20:34
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_were_DVDs_invented

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 21:15
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_were_DVDs_invented

They were announced in 95, but DVD discs/movies weren't (publically).

---

Twister (a 1996 movie) was the first movie to be released on DVD.

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117998/trivia

But it was released in 1999.

- http://www.totalfilm.com/dvd_reviews/twister

Pioneer introduced the first DVD burner for computer use in 1997

- http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4236

Which cost £17,000

- http://www.dvdwriters.co.uk/reviews/pioneer/dvr105p1.htm

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery was released in May of 1997 in the cinema's, but the movie was most probably being filmed in 1996.

dejkirkby
September 10th, 2007, 21:19
But the sharks with laser beams on their heads didn't appear until 2002's Goldmember. They were only spoken about and never made an on-screen presence!

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 21:29
But the sharks with laser beams on their heads didn't appear until 2002's Goldmember. They were only spoken about and never made an on-screen presence!

Oh?

---

But anyway, it couldn't of been a DVD laser in the original idea thou cause lasers were already around. Plus they wouldn't of thought as technical as DVD lasers, also here's a direct quotation from the first movie

Dr. Evil:
Back in the 60's, I developed a weather changing machine which was in essence a sophisticated heat beam which we called a 'laser.' Using these 'lasers' we'd punch a hole in the protective layer around the world which we called the 'ozone' layer. Slowly but surely ultraviolet rays would pour in, increasing the risk for skin cancer, that is...unless the world pays us a hefty ransom?

No. 2:
Ahem....that also already has happened.

Dr. Evil:
Shit!

:D

dejkirkby
September 10th, 2007, 21:35
Oh?

---

But anyway, it couldn't of been a DVD laser in the original idea thou cause lasers were already around. Plus they wouldn't of thought as technical as DVD lasers, also here's a direct quotation from the first movie

:D
And where does this confirm or deny that this particular laser is or is not the same as a DVD laser?

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 22:27
And where does this confirm or deny that this particular laser is or is not the same as a DVD laser?

It doesn't, but in theory if they would be more powerful than the lasers from a DVD.