PDA

View Full Version : Sony Ban Homebrew Talk on Their Forums

wraggster
September 6th, 2007, 16:12
Sony on their official forums (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3143614) have decided to stop all homebrew discussion, heres a gander at whats said:

Homebrew applications void the warranty of the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system, and an official area to discuss such activities cannot be provided by SCEA. Any postings that are clearly homebrew-related, such as those providing instructions on downgrading firmware updates, will be removed from this board. This also includes, but is not limited to, the following topics:

custom firmware
themes, applications, custom bootup animations/sounds, and other materials made available only with use of homebrew
programs that may be used to aid or facilitate copyright violations (such as Eboots, ripping software, decryption software)
debugging software
programs designed to emulate firmware
TIFF applications
programs designed to provide for modification of the PSP® code or firmware, or that would allow for any exploitation of the PSP® system firmware flashing software
applications designed to bypass PSP® system and game security features
emulators, ROMs, CSO, ISOs, or any other unauthorized copies of copyrighted material
software or hardware designed to aid or facilitate in cheating

Any posting found to be in violation of this policy is subject to an immediate deletion. Members who continue to violate this policy may be subject to an immediate ban from this community, or other disciplinary actions as determined by the community Administrators.

Im not surprised by this on their own forums but talk about killing off free speach.

Whats your views on this.?

SPREAD THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Ban_Homebrew_Talk_on_Their_Forums)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Ban_Homebrew_Talk_on_Their_Forums

cal360
September 6th, 2007, 16:14
WOW sony are on a hating spee!!!! We must of realy annoyed them with Pandoras battery.

Qmark
September 6th, 2007, 16:20
Im not surprised by this on their own forums but talk about killing off free speach.

Whats your views on this.?It's their board.
They can do whatever they want, really.

wraggster
September 6th, 2007, 16:20
yeah getting pissy arent they

pandora was the ultimate kick in the teeth

wraggster
September 6th, 2007, 16:21
yeah im actually surprised they took so long to ban discussion of it, if you are updating firmware to stop homebrewers and hackers the last thing you do is have hundreds of topics about it.

cal360
September 6th, 2007, 16:24
yeah im actually surprised they took so long to ban discussion of it, if you are updating firmware to stop homebrewers and hackers the last thing you do is have hundreds of topics about it.

Good point its been all over their forum for years, but with the release of Pandora mabe they're starting to realise we're unbeatable!!!!!!

Sonicboy 101
September 6th, 2007, 16:26
Haha, Sony are just being mardy.

I xfire I
September 6th, 2007, 16:26
using "homebrew" doesnt void the warrenty, so if u have an original 1.5 it doesnt matter, the problem is when you start downgrading and the like,

tbh sony hates anything that doesnt go their way.

Qmark
September 6th, 2007, 16:30
software or hardware designed to aid or facilitate in cheating

Note that this also covers not-really-psp-homebrew-at-all save file editors, as well as an eventual Pro Action Replay or Codebreaker.

cal360
September 6th, 2007, 16:34
This kind of remindes me of a war. The country that's lost usually withdraws and takes action against any traitors, to me it sounds a lot like they're giving up.

nielsss
September 6th, 2007, 16:35
uhhhh u said "Im not surprised by this on their own forums but talk about killing off free speach."

Well here were not allowed to talk about piracy and were not allowed to curse...Soooo. Anyway. Why would any1 wanne talk about homebrew on the sony boards?? Sony would then know you prob tried homebrew and they wouldnt rly like you anymore.

I xfire I
September 6th, 2007, 16:35
This kind of remindes me of a war. The country that's lost usually withdraws and takes action against any traitors, to me it sounds a lot like they're giving up.

very true

monkvash
September 6th, 2007, 16:50
lol they probly used the forums 2 easily find out about the newest breakthoughs, but on another note why should they care about homebrew? i mean cmon its like the main reason anyone buys a psp , sure theres the few losers who use psps for piracy, they ruin it for everyone , i support being able 2 play your own LEGALLY backed up games but not downloading them off the net just cuz u can i mean hell u can do alot with the internet, just cuz u can do somthing doesnt mean u should.

Ichijoe
September 6th, 2007, 16:50
WOW sony are on a hating spee!!!! We must of realy annoyed them with Pandoras battery.

TRULY EPIC LULz!!!

armyStrong
September 6th, 2007, 17:02
I've visited Sony's forums in the past and was surprised to find as much discussion of homebrew as I did.

There's no issue of free speech here...Sony isn't a government. They own the forums, they can set any regulations they want.

Guess we'll all just have to continue to discuss homebrew matters here, heh...

kinetik2007
September 6th, 2007, 17:17
"Homebrew applications void the warranty of the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system...."

...who gives a shi* if it voids my warranty, i know it does & i will take the risks involved with modding my PSP...up yours sony

...i dont even use their boards anyway

:thumbup:

Totalitarian
September 6th, 2007, 17:17
You think this is bad?

They closed down the EU PSP forums last month.

hacksparrow
September 6th, 2007, 17:44
uhhhh u said "Im not surprised by this on their own forums but talk about killing off free speach."

Well here were not allowed to talk about piracy and were not allowed to curse...Soooo. Anyway. Why would any1 wanne talk about homebrew on the sony boards?? Sony would then know you prob tried homebrew and they wouldnt rly like you anymore.

its quite surprisin on the $ony boards, they actually know a lot of stuff...some1 on max said it's like bank robbers plannin the heist inside the bank haha

but piracy is "a bad thing" so i can understand, but homebrew & hacks are free so wot the hell is up w that?

ish420ism
September 6th, 2007, 17:55
I can understand about removing anything that has to do with exploits and such. but homebrew talk should still be o.k. PS2 and PS3 have legal homebrew support. Maybe the only thing being banned is psp homebrew chat. I can't say I blame them.

Qmark
September 6th, 2007, 17:55
A loss of homebrew enthusiasts at the official Sony boards just means a mass migration to other boards, including this one.

Hopefully, these refugees will learn basic spelling and punctuation during the brief downtime, but I doubt it.

Mr.Denny
September 6th, 2007, 17:56
It's their board, they have the right to ban talk on homebrew if they wish. I'm just surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Whats your views on this.?

So, we can talk about ISOs now?. I mean, it is just freedom of speech.

GRRREAT ;)

one winged angel
September 6th, 2007, 17:57
XD they truly believe thats gonna stop someone from using homebrew:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Qmark
September 6th, 2007, 18:03
So, we can talk about ISOs now?. I mean, it is just freedom of speech.Awesome!

Let's discuss the general unavailability of ISO 216 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216) in the United States.

Emeriastone
September 6th, 2007, 18:27
Yep that would be a def kill of freedom of speech.

Buddy4point0
September 6th, 2007, 19:50
haha sony, dcemu forums are way better anyay.ew sony

cal360
September 6th, 2007, 20:11
Who needs the Sony forums all the news I will ever need is on Dcemu.

schluptnut
September 6th, 2007, 20:12
OMG Sony just suck it up and let us use our psx emulators, our isos, My Twisted Metal game broke, Im not paying $20 to replace it. I couldnt even fix the umd with an extra umd. I bought that game at $40.

cal360
September 6th, 2007, 20:18
OMG Sony just suck it up and let us use our psx emulators, our isos, My Twisted Metal game broke, Im not paying $20 to replace it. I couldnt even fix the umd with an extra umd. I bought that game at $40.

Ok so now you just told everyone you use ISO's on this forum, Nice move,[patiently waits for M.O.D's]...............................................

o1mlc
September 6th, 2007, 20:35
@ Qmark

ISO 216...

That's very, very funny..!

Though I don't have that problem as I'm in the UK. Plus I've got A4 on tap from work (Council).

F9zDark
September 6th, 2007, 21:09
Yeah and this isn't news at all, it has been like this since day one from what I remember.

Basil Zero
September 6th, 2007, 22:39

actually i've always wondered why it took them so long to realize this and not do this earlier, considering the fact its homebrew(in which they pledged they were against) and still had discussion threads for months xD

blaz3d
September 6th, 2007, 23:32
i remember when 3.02 oe came out. the best pops conversion guide i found was there. sad day today

JKKDARK
September 6th, 2007, 23:39
Not very important, and all the homebrew stuff like downgraders is not good for them.

hacksparrow
September 7th, 2007, 00:34
i remember when 3.02 oe came out. the best pops conversion guide i found was there. sad day today

yeah serious, i found the best hex guide there too

Veskgar
September 7th, 2007, 03:36
A loss of homebrew enthusiasts at the official Sony boards just means a mass migration to other boards, including this one.

Yes. Its going to have more of the opposite impact on SONY I think. The more you tell people NO NO NO, CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T, the more it peaks their curiosity and they will find any way they can to learn more about it.

PSP homebrew has massive draw and this sort of thing only draws more people in.

People want their homebrew SONY! Telling them they can't have it and not offering any official alternatives is not the best way to go about fighting it.

Sterist
September 7th, 2007, 05:13
whichever agent took the time to put that list together prolly has a CFW. he's got extensive knowledge of every lil nook'n'cranny of the terming for PSP hacking, including obsolete (but better called "out dated") exploits such as TIFF

Cokemusic
September 7th, 2007, 07:01
Sony really didn't have a choice in the matter I think , limminting homebrew talk in the forums would have given the idea that they condoned it ( which they totaly do not)

Sony are well aware that they're killing about 50%-60% of the overall threads on their forum if they did actualy bother to look , I think with all the recent updates , the new PSP , pandora it was just the right time to pull the plug on that kinda talk.

The PSP has the biggest homebrew community in the history of console homebrew , it's easily accesibile , easily usable , readily availible and ever there are an ever increasing number of homebrew apps for this sweet little console.

Joe88
September 7th, 2007, 07:09

yea
I think they knew about it the whole time
though as too why they decided to stop it now, maybe because of threats of the PSP slim 3.60 firmware and hardware being hacked....?

dthpsc
September 7th, 2007, 18:41
Speaking of killing free speech, wasn't it against the rules to speak of ISO's on this board? I'm by no means criticizing PSPEmulation, the greatest site when it comes to the PSP hands down, but let's not be hypocritical about it, shall we? That's not to mention if someone really wants to talk about homebrew they have the option to come to another board like this one, or the many others that are available... It's really not a big deal.

cal360
September 7th, 2007, 18:45
Speaking of killing free speech, wasn't it against the rules to speak of ISO's on this board? I'm by no means criticizing PSPEmulation, the greatest site when it comes to the PSP hands down, but let's not be hypocritical about it, shall we? That's not to mention if someone really wants to talk about homebrew they have the option to come to another board like this one, or the many others that are available... It's really not a big deal.

The ownly reason we don't talk about ISO' is that many people could use ISO programs for piracy which could end up with the site having a lawsuit for promoting it.

shango46
September 7th, 2007, 19:32
I believe the only reason why $ony decided to allow homebrew discussion on there forums was so they could find out exactly what was going on and learn more to make new counter measures against it. I also believe that they shut it down as a last ditch effort to stop at least a couple of psp n00bz from finding out they can actually have fun with there $200 instead of it turning into a paperweight or being replaced by a DS. Why don't they just realize that they will never be able to stop the homebrew scene? Seems like a cowards move in the moment of defeat...

Cokemusic
September 7th, 2007, 20:10
The ownly reason we don't talk about ISO' is that many people could use ISO programs for piracy which could end up with site having a lawsuit for promoting it.

Well I understand the no ISO talk but technicaly speaking if your talking about homebrew then you are in a way promoting ISO talk , CFW have inbuilt ISO loaders , emulator talk should also be disalowed.

It's like discussing sex techniques without being allowed to talk about sex in the forum , like DUH ?

wbtn
September 7th, 2007, 20:29
Im proud to say i have no iso's
ive got shitloads of cso's tho:rofl:

kjetil1991
September 7th, 2007, 21:45
lol why would some people talk about homebrew on sony forums thats just stupid ha ha then you diserve to get banned X)

Ultima Chocochu
September 8th, 2007, 03:18
I'm all for homebrew, custom firmware, ect.
But I don't see why they didn't do that sooner.

sPod
September 8th, 2007, 04:12
why was it deleted off dcemu? i thought it was only taken off official Playstation forums

carlitx
September 8th, 2007, 14:04
hey when ever i get bored today, im going on that forum making a topic called random game and hardware discussion and typing in: HOMBREW HOMEBREW HOMEBREW HOMEBREW HOMEBREW...etc. you get the idea just multiply that bu like 300 more times ahahahahahaha!

cal360
September 8th, 2007, 15:12
hey when ever i get bored today, im going on that forum making a topic called random game and hardware discussion and typing in: HOMBREW HOMEBREW HOMEBREW HOMEBREW HOMEBREW...etc. you get the idea just multiply that bu like 300 more times ahahahahahaha!

Nice ,but hope you don't plan on using their site ever again.

Im proud to say i have no iso's
ive got shitloads of cso's tho:rofl:

You do realise that cso stands for compressed ISO so trying to be smart on this forum is just going to get you a ban.