PDA

View Full Version : Violent games controversy to be discussed at LGF

Shrygue
September 6th, 2007, 19:27
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28426)

ELSPA will hold a forum addressing the hostile media reaction to violent games at this year's London Games Festival.

The panel discussion, titled "Ban These Evil Games", will take place on October 22 at the Royal Society of Medicine. It will examine the reasons why the games industry comes under so much pressure from the media for adult content.

Through contributions from experts and the audience, the free event aims to establish whether the games industry gets a raw deal - and identify solutions to its troubled relationship with the media.

The discussion follows Prime Minister Gordon Brown's call this week for a public review of violent and sexual imagery in games.

The London Games Festival takes place from October 22-26 in various locations around the capital.

VampDude
September 7th, 2007, 00:03
I like how they use the word "EVIL" before they say games, it's not games that are "EVIL" it's whoever is playing the game and then violently doing something they shouldn't be doing. I mean just because maybe 2 or 3 people go insane and kill people after playing games (I've often wanted to play real life Carmageddon which I don't - but shhhh they will lock me up), it's not fair that so many people miss out on games because of people who can't control themselves. I for one am going to be in London on the 22nd because it's on the week of my birthday, hopefully I can voice my opinion on the subject based on those that have to miss out on cool videogames because some whackjobs (I don't think that's a real word) can't even tell the difference between real life and a videogame or take videogames too seriously.

---To ELSPA (and whoever)---

I think that all games should be rated 18, then nobody but adults can play games and there won't be any problems then nobody can complain - idiots!

ExcruciationX
September 7th, 2007, 00:07
I like how they use the word "EVIL" before they say games, it's not games that are "EVIL" it's whoever is playing the game and then violently doing something they shouldn't be doing. I mean just because maybe 2 or 3 people go insane and kill people after playing games (I've often wanted to play real life Carmageddon which I don't - but shhhh they will lock me up), it's not fair that so many people miss out on games because of people who can't control themselves. I for one am going to be in London on the 22nd because it's on the week of my birthday, hopefully I can voice my opinion on the subject based on those that have to miss out on cool videogames because some whackjobs (I don't think that's a real word) can't even tell the difference between real life and a videogame or take videogames too seriously.

I think that all games should be rated 18, then nobody but adults can play games and there won't be any problems then nobody can complain - idiots!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

VampDude
September 7th, 2007, 02:58
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think I'm speaking for a good amount of people, because there shouldn't be bans on videogames due to content, if the content is that bad then only sell that game to an adult and not a child. And the sarcasm bit, I feel that quite a few people would like to pull thatone out've the hat because that is what they would most probably prefer. ELSPA and all the goverment's that want to enforce the bans on certain videogames should think again, ELSPA will wish they never went to the London Game Festival if there are more people with an open opinion about this like myself. I would love to see a union of all the DCEmuer's who share the same opinions as me and who can also go to London on that date should go, because if it's a forum at LGF then it's open to the public and everyone can get their say.

Shadowblind
September 7th, 2007, 03:16
Tsk...now I can understand banning some games, but this is like the FCC on the Family Guy episode PTV, for anyone who knows of it.

To the point: Overreaction is very immature. Sadly, most people (mostly politicians) are immature.

SnesR0X
September 8th, 2007, 06:43

LOOkS, SO, FUN!

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 01:39
LOOkS, SO, FUN!

It is, I've had to stop myself on quite a few occasions thou!lol

SnesR0X
September 9th, 2007, 07:56
Tsk...now I can understand banning some games, but this is like the FCC on the Family Guy episode PTV, for anyone who knows of it.

To the point: Overreaction is very immature. Sadly, most people (mostly politicians) are immature.

Really, all we need to do is to wait for everyone from the older generation to die:rofl:

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2007, 17:49
My country sucks, they ban all the violent games here :mad:

alexvander
September 9th, 2007, 18:32
i think its gay that they want to ban video games. when you look at all the movies that are ten time more violent and realistic that are never banned it makes no sense to ban a game like manhunt 2 that has crappy graphics and looks unrealistic just cause to can do sick things to people. and another thing for some crazy people that cant tell the difference between a game and real life id rather have them slaughter everyone in a game and have their daily need in a game than in real life

wolfpack
September 9th, 2007, 19:17
Carmageddon IS a great game... and im talking about the very original too that used DOS mode, haha i have that.

and as for LGF i wouldnt be able to be there speaking how i live in the U.S. and I cant really travel out of country by myself because im not 18 (which will be on sept 16 btw) so im getting close to that age, but violent games shouldnt be banned, because i mean think about it, theres still the CARTOONS that have violence, theres the NEWS AND OTHER MEDIA, theres violent MOVIES. I could go on and on, before you know it theyll be going after the movies and cartoons... sick bastards