PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bulls: Blood Hungry or Family Dog?

ICE
September 7th, 2007, 15:51
After all the press being received by the recent Mike Vick incident i thought it was worth asking your opinion on pit bulls. So many people claim that they will turn on you and snap at any second while others say that bologna and the "bad" dogs are due to "bad" owners.

what do you guys think?

splodger15
September 7th, 2007, 16:10
We have a lot of dog fights here in the UK using Pitbulls a little girl was mauled the Pitbull Terrior.

ICE
September 7th, 2007, 16:21
did you know that in dog fights the dog is trained to be non aggressive towards people? they actually have to be able to pull the dogs apart without being bit and if they are the dog who bit is destroyed. ive been in the middle of two dogs fighting before and i cant imagine a dog that would let you pull it of another dog but pit bull had to do that in these fights.

VampDude
September 7th, 2007, 16:56
I don't think you can put it into the categories of Blood Hungry or Family Dog because at the end of the day a dog only acts on how it's been treated/trained and if they're scared or teased they will do whatever they feel necessary to protect themselves (not forgetting a dog can't think like humans), a Pit Bull can actually be a family pet if it's in the right enviroment from when it was a pup and it's not been angered in any way whatsoever as some breeders tease dogs playing with them but they don't actually know that a dogs brain is triggered from when it is a pup and if it enters a world knowing only of teasing into anger etc the dog will think it's normal to be angry.

To be a family pet a Pit Bull needs to be from a good breeder who looks after it's dogs properly from when they're pups, and also needs to have a good home where it knows it's safe (dogs can feel insecure).

ICE
September 7th, 2007, 17:22
it seems to me that every pit ive seen in a family environment wants nothing more than to be petted shown affection. however at the same time pits in a more hostile environment owned by people who wanted a "big scary pit bull" tend to be much more aggressive.

it seems that like most dogs they only want to please their owner and if that means being hostile towards others or even fighting to the death they'll do it. thats no to say that pit bulls should be allowed to roam free in a neighborhood or should be left alone with other dogs. they are a dog that wants to dominate and if you let them they wont hesitate to kill your cats for fun or chase your neighbors dogs but this rubbish that they are any different from any other dog it just stupid

the breed with the most reported dog attacks is the Labrador but how often do we hear about it? if a pit looks at someone wrong its in the paper. ITS RACISM I SAY!.

splodger15
September 7th, 2007, 21:40
did you know that in dog fights the dog is trained to be non aggressive towards people? they actually have to be able to pull the dogs apart without being bit and if they are the dog who bit is destroyed. ive been in the middle of two dogs fighting before and i cant imagine a dog that would let you pull it of another dog but pit bull had to do that in these fights.

Most dogfights are left until one dog dies

cal360
September 7th, 2007, 21:43
I believe the actions of the dog are influenced by the owner who raises it from a pup, that's why any pet I get I will be not that old so any influences it gets are good and therefore doesn't turn it agressive.

ICE
September 7th, 2007, 21:47
Most dogfights are left until one dog dies

yes but when the sport got started at some point the owners would have to pull their dog off without being bit. my point was that they were bred to fight dogs and to be gentle with people.

VampDude
September 7th, 2007, 22:40
it seems to me that every pit ive seen in a family environment wants nothing more than to be petted shown affection. however at the same time pits in a more hostile environment owned by people who wanted a "big scary pit bull" tend to be much more aggressive.

The dogs in a more hostile enviroment are pushed to their aggressiveness, but dogs that come from loving families tend to be kind and loving animals.

it seems that like most dogs they only want to please their owner and if that means being hostile towards others or even fighting to the death they'll do it. thats no to say that pit bulls should be allowed to roam free in a neighborhood or should be left alone with other dogs. they are a dog that wants to dominate and if you let them they wont hesitate to kill your cats for fun or chase your neighbors dogs but this rubbish that they are any different from any other dog it just stupid

A greyhound killed my cat in front of me 7 years ago, it was supposed to me on a lead which it could roam around it's garden without jumping over the fence or escaping, the guy used to let the dog run at the fence and scare the cat shitless thinking it was funny whilst the dog wasn't to know not to do what it was allowed to and the one day the dog hasn't on it's lead it got into my garden (of where I lived back then) and got my cat (which was laying in the sun resting).

the breed with the most reported dog attacks is the Labrador but how often do we hear about it? if a pit looks at someone wrong its in the paper. ITS RACISM I SAY!.

They would never pin anything on a Labrador because they help blind people, it's racism just like you say...

...There are many other dogs that carry out attacks on people and animals and they seem to forget about other breeds like Rottweiler, Bull Terrier, German Shepherd, Canario plus a whole load more including Boxers and Bulldogs.

kcajblue
September 8th, 2007, 01:02
ive heard that pit bulls by nature arent "blood hungry"
people who have them just make them like that by treating them badly and making them angry all the time.