PDA

View Full Version : Rugby World Cup

Darksaviour69
September 8th, 2007, 14:53
The Rugby World Cup kicked of yesterday in France, with the Host nation beaten by a weaker (on paper) Argentine. England play later today against USA and Ireland play against Namibia tomorrow. Anyone following it?

BTW the Tonga team could not afford to go so to raise funds one of the players legally changed his name to Paddypower (a betting company) who has sponsored the team.

Pool A Table
1 England
2 Samoa
3 South Africa
4 Tonga
5 USA

Pool B Table
1 Australia
2 Canada
3 Fiji
4 Japan
5 Wales

Pool C Table

1 New Zealand 5 PTS
2 Portugal 0
3 Romania 0
4 Scotland 0
5 Italy 1 PTS

Pool D Table

1 Argentina 4PTS
2 France 1 PTS
3 Georgia 0
4 Ireland 0
5 Namibia 0

more info
Tables (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/tables/default.stm)
Fixtures (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/3711557.stm)
team guide (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/team_guides/default.stm)

cal360
September 8th, 2007, 15:35
I hope Englasnd does good (many of you will think otherwise).

JPJunkie
September 8th, 2007, 16:03
I think that the all blacks will win

The opening game was thrilling I was really hoping Aregentina would win

Sonicboy 101
September 8th, 2007, 16:06
England to win!

splodger15
September 8th, 2007, 16:08
I am not a Rugby fan more interested whether England are going to win the football today

JPJunkie
September 8th, 2007, 16:11
I'm not sure whether to watch the rugby or football today?

lmtlmt
September 9th, 2007, 01:54
i stayed up all night just to see australia thrash japan!

all blacks you say i have a joke about them.

whats the difference between the all blacks and a tea bag?
the tea bag stays in the cup longer

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 01:58
i stayed up all night just to see australia thrash japan!

all blacks you say i have a joke about them.

whats the difference between the all blacks and a tea bag?
the tea bag stays in the cup longer

lol, it was 90 something to 3

lmtlmt
September 9th, 2007, 02:17
well you kinda expect that from japan dont you:p

it was

Australia - 91
Japan - 3

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 02:28
well you kinda expect that from japan dont you:p

it was

Australia - 91
Japan - 3

Yes, considering it isn't one of their national sports! lol :p

lmtlmt
September 9th, 2007, 02:37
origami folding anyone?

Man
September 9th, 2007, 02:42
origami folding anyone?

lmao, i dont really see Japanese people playing rugby, there either really really small and skinny, or very big, like sumo wrestlers, i mean, its not like i cant see them playing rugby, i just dont see them playing very well, and obviously they dont, my high school team could probably have beaten them.

lmtlmt
September 9th, 2007, 02:56
there was a big fight in the ruck aswel, george greagon jumped over this japanese guy.

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 04:32
Japanese people cannot play Rugby to save their life! lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Japan

They are currently 18th in the world rankings (of 95), which Australia is 2nd.

See the IRB world ranking board (of all 95 countries who somewhat attempt to play rugby) HERE (http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html)

Darksaviour69
September 9th, 2007, 05:50
Come on Ireland! ;)

lmtlmt
September 9th, 2007, 06:04
england are 7th? i thought thye were better than that, owell i dotn care as logn as australia is better than them!

JPJunkie
September 9th, 2007, 10:21
Come on England:thumbup: We beat USA! 28-10 (not that convincingly though);)

lmtlmt
September 9th, 2007, 10:24
big deal, doesnt 91 - 3 sound way better:p

JPJunkie
September 9th, 2007, 10:30
91-3 is a much bigger score and I do think that you won alot more convincingly

But wait until we play you!:p

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 13:48
big deal, doesnt 91 - 3 sound way better:p

The team played against a team who couldn't play thou.

JPJunkie
September 9th, 2007, 21:01
Yeah Japan are useless at rugby USA are only half uselless at rugby:D jk

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 01:45
Yeah Japan are useless at rugby USA are only half uselless at rugby:D jk

Canada are just as bad as the U.S.A. at rugby, Wales beat them 42-17 which is almost identical to England beating the U.S.A. 28-10 :)

lmtlmt
September 10th, 2007, 09:27
but nothing compares to australia beating japan 91 - 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2007, 12:59
very dissapointed in Ireland, they only beat nimbia 32-17, could be costly if it comes down to points (score) difference. Still we got the bonus point.

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 13:43
but nothing compares to australia beating japan 91 - 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You keep saying that, but where exactly was the competition in the Japan game?

The answer would be none, Japan will lose all their games so the win over Japan is nothing compared to the actual competition Australia will face in the following games like Wales on the 15th.

JPJunkie
September 10th, 2007, 14:42
I wish Japan had beaten you! That would be funny:rofl:

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 15:13
I wish Japan had beaten you! That would be funny:rofl:

I would've been funny as hell, cause Japan is the 2nd worst team in the Rugby World Cup! lol

JPJunkie
September 10th, 2007, 15:18
Who are the worst? Tonga?

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 15:27
Who are the worst? Tonga?

In the world BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA (it's one team not two) is the worst in the world...

...But in the Rugby World Cup Namibia are, as they are at 24 in the world ranking.

JPJunkie
September 10th, 2007, 15:53
Oh Namibia are the worst in the world cup! lol

I knew BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA were the lowest ranked in the world

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 15:59
Oh Namibia are the worst in the world cup! lol

I knew BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA were the lowest ranked in the world

Namibia aren't even in the top 20, but they're still in the World Cup...

...Which is strange I might add, as they're 24th in the World Rankings.

:confused:

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2007, 16:18
qualification for the world cup is not based on rankings but qualification matches or based on results of the last world cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_World_Cup_qualification

the 3 top teams in each group this year will auto qualify for 2011

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 16:23
qualification for the world cup is not based on rankings but qualification matches or based on results of the last world cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_World_Cup_qualification

That means England Ireland and Wales will be in the 2011 RWC then cause they're always quite good in the World Cup.

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2007, 16:25
the big 8 are always in the world cup (they used to auto qualify)

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 16:35

the big 8 are always in the world cup (they used to auto qualify)

So if the top 3 teams from each group gets into the next World Cup in 2011, that means that it's 12 auto-qualifying...

...But if the top 8 are already auto-qualified what happens then? Cause they can't qualify twice if they're in the top 8 and in the top 3 of their group? - This rugby stuff is confusing :confused:

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2007, 16:59
they used to auto qualify, but now they have to qualify the other way. But every year (so far) the big 8 have always made it into the world cup (bar south Africa).

yeah there will be 12 auto-qualifying for 2011, but I think there might be more teams in it next time, total

JPJunkie
September 10th, 2007, 18:35
I wish BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA were in the world cup or next world cup because I would like to see them play

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 19:39
I wish BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA were in the world cup or next world cup because I would like to see them play

They won't likely be anywhere for another 10 or so years, there might be a video of them playing online somewhere?

Darksaviour69
September 15th, 2007, 13:40
new Zealand are thumping Portugal but Portugal playing bravely (they had no chance).

big match to day

Australia Vs Wales(2.00pm GMT), with wales playing at home (Cardiff). That should be a good game.

Later (8.00pm) Ireland plays Georgia, we need to really thump them to show we are on some sort of form

splodger15
September 15th, 2007, 14:10
England got destroyed

Welshboy
September 15th, 2007, 14:54
England got destroyed. Wales aren't doing much better, but we're still better than the English. This is a known fact.

splodger15
September 15th, 2007, 15:53
Not at football though ;)

Darksaviour69
September 15th, 2007, 16:01
pity for wales, they messed up in the first half, but did very well in the second half (they won the second half), which is something they can take from the game. Unlike England who had no answer for South Africa.

Ireland play in 5 hrs, i just hope its better than their last game.

VampDude
September 15th, 2007, 18:20
pity for wales, they messed up in the first half, but did very well in the second half (they won the second half), which is something they can take from the game. Unlike England who had no answer for South Africa.

Ireland play in 5 hrs, i just hope its better than their last game.

I want Ireland to win, and they should win against Georgia with ease. :)

lmtlmt
September 16th, 2007, 02:11
Australia continues to dominate;)

Darksaviour69
September 17th, 2007, 01:12
14-10, Ireland were lucky to keep the lead. Wost Irish rugby game ever, and nearly the biggest upset in rugby history.

Its not looking good, we are struggling against such small team (even though Georgia played great), we really have to get it sorted for the next 2 games.

the game against France next week is a must win, who ever loses that will mostly not get to the next round, and at the mo France would be favorites to win. But Ireland seem to play the best when they are the under dogs.

VampDude
September 21st, 2007, 21:38
14-10, Ireland were lucky to keep the lead. Wost Irish rugby game ever, and nearly the biggest upset in rugby history.

Its not looking good, we are struggling against such small team (even though Georgia played great), we really have to get it sorted for the next 2 games.

the game against France next week is a must win, who ever loses that will mostly not get to the next round, and at the mo France would be favorites to win. But Ireland seem to play the best when they are the under dogs.

Ireland played bad, theres only 9 minutes left and France have the game :mad:

Darksaviour69
September 21st, 2007, 22:16
no comment :(

VampDude
September 21st, 2007, 23:44
no comment :(

Ireland still have Argentina to beat, which Ireland are currently looking good on their table. Argentina have to lose against Namibia tomorrow if Ireland are to have hope when beating them next week.

Darksaviour69
September 21st, 2007, 23:48
if Argentina only get 4 points from Namibia, ( less than 4 tries) and then we beat them with 5 point (4 or more tries) then we are though (bt against New Zealand).

If Argentina get the full 5 points, we are as good as out! :(

edit: well if they do get the 5 points we have to bet them by 39 points + what ever they beat Namibia by.

yeah we are screwed!

VampDude
September 21st, 2007, 23:54
What are the odds on Argentina losing to Namibia tomorrow? Although Namibia are at the bottom of the Pool D table?

VampDude
September 22nd, 2007, 16:57
England beat Samoa 44 to 22 :)

---

To make Darksavior happy, Argentina need to lose against Namibia (which kicks off at 21:00 UK time - 4 hours) so Ireland have a chance at gaining a position next week as Ireland are currently third on their table and Argentina is second.

JPJunkie
September 22nd, 2007, 20:02
Tongo looked suprisingly good! I think England will struggle aggainst them

VampDude
September 22nd, 2007, 20:28
Tongo looked suprisingly good! I think England will struggle aggainst them

Maybe, but if England beats them it will be something :)

JPJunkie
September 22nd, 2007, 20:54
Yeah England Should hopefully get to the Quater Finals! It's good to see Jonny Wilkinson Back Touch Wood

VampDude
September 22nd, 2007, 22:42
Yeah England Should hopefully get to the Quater Finals! It's good to see Jonny Wilkinson Back Touch Wood

If they win next week, which could be doubtful...

...Hopefully they do, because if England loses on Friday they are out.

My 2 backups are Wales (cause they're quite good) and Ireland (I'm 12.5% Irish), which Wales have to beat Fiji next Saturday and Ireland have to beat Argentina next Sunday :D otherwise the rugby is a no go!

Darksaviour69
September 23rd, 2007, 16:33
yeah we have to beat Argentina by 100 + points to get though.... ;(

JPJunkie
September 23rd, 2007, 17:19
It's possible but Argentina are a very strong side

VampDude
September 24th, 2007, 00:26
yeah we have to beat Argentina by 100 + points to get though.... ;(

If Ireland lose England have to win (which is no help to you), or if England loses Ireland has to win (which is possible) - I hope that both England and Ireland get through...

...but if Ireland wins they will stay 3rd if France also wins their game, France have to lose in order for Ireland to move to 2nd (I think that's somewhat right?) as Ireland have 9 points and France have 10 points.

lmtlmt
September 24th, 2007, 01:50
Australia continues to dominate.....

VampDude
September 24th, 2007, 01:58
Australia continues to dominate.....

If Australia are knocked out of the next round, who will be your 2nd choice? (I'm guessing New Zealand - if they're not knocked out too) :)

lmtlmt
September 24th, 2007, 03:17
lol, maybe but i like paying out my kiwi friends

VampDude
October 6th, 2007, 15:49
lol, maybe but i like paying out my kiwi friends

lol, well now thanks to England you will have to follow New Zealand! (since it's the next best thing to Australia) lmao :rofl:

EDIT:

Well they're out too, so lmtlmt is out of the Rugby World Cup! lol

lmtlmt
October 7th, 2007, 03:18
damn, australia deserved to win that match cause they were the only team in the match to score a try!

anyway, next rugby would cup you will see..........you will all see!!!

VampDude
October 7th, 2007, 04:20
damn, australia deserved to win that match cause they were the only team in the match to score a try!

anyway, next rugby would cup you will see..........you will all see!!!

England won thou, Australia could've won if they didn't award England with so many penalties.

As for 2011, the last time England played Australia they won (2003) and the same again in 2007. Here's a recap of 2003, if you've already forgotten! (it's going to be the same yet again) lol :)

pcoF-8syDIQ

Now that Australia are out, and New Zealand are also out...

...I guess that your now going to be following England, as it's the closest thing to Australia left in the tournament - the English found Australia and took the land and then enslaved the Aborigines, so all the white Australians are really English (I think?) :D

lmtlmt
October 7th, 2007, 05:27
austalia have beaten england 4 out of the last 6 times they have played i think.

dejkirkby
October 7th, 2007, 08:23
I'm not one to usually to a sore winner, but screw the Southern Hemisphere!

Darksaviour69
October 7th, 2007, 18:21
I was shocked to see Australia and New Zealand go out, as England and France have not been that impressive in the group stages.

gu3
October 7th, 2007, 19:05
yer kinda lucky on englands part, they have generally not been very good recently but thats impressive :D

lmtlmt
October 8th, 2007, 08:32
yes, nobody thoght that both new zealand and austalia would both be eliminated

VampDude
October 18th, 2007, 01:18
England is in the Final on Saturday :)

lmtlmt
October 18th, 2007, 09:12
damn!

VampDude
October 18th, 2007, 13:36
damn!

How does it feel to have been knocked out the other week? :rolleyes:

I would know myself if Aussie beat England the other week, but it was the other way around. :)

Also, who are you rooting for on Saturday if your still watching the rugby? (If you haven't stopped watching it 2 weeks ago) :D

JPJunkie
October 18th, 2007, 17:33
Yay come on England! Rugby is great to watch

Sonicboy 101
October 18th, 2007, 17:36
I'm still in shock of us beating France... :eek:
I thought France was gonna win, because of all the hype of how good they were. But no... England won. I'm happy, yet surprised.
Aside of that GO ENGLAND! I'm sure we can win this one. ;)

VampDude
October 18th, 2007, 18:05
I'm still in shock of us beating France... :eek:
I thought France was gonna win, because of all the hype of how good they were. But no... England won. I'm happy, yet surprised.
Aside of that GO ENGLAND! I'm sure we can win this one. ;)

France were the top of their group, I think England's luck may run out this Saturday as England have already faced South Africa in the tournament and lost 36-0 and now they're to face them again. South Africa are yet to lose a game in this tournament, they seem to be unstoppable.