PDA

View Full Version : First look: Norton Internet Security 2008

splodger15
September 8th, 2007, 22:22
Symantec has given PC Pro a preview of its forthcoming Norton Internet Security 2008 suite, due for release later this month.
The release sees a continuation of Symantec's quest to aggressively reduce its software's impact on system resources.

Speaking at a pre-release workshop in Dublin, Dong Chung, manager of Symantec's Performance Team, admitted that "in the past we've not done so well at this" - but change is already underway, with this year's Norton 360 and Internet Security 2007 products receiving wide praise for their comparatively small footprints.

Norton Internet Security 2008 promises to make even lighter demands of the host system, with engineers reportedly undertaking a huge range of real-world technical tests to ensure the new product compares favourably with earlier products and the competition.

The company claims the final code will use 69% less memory than the industry average, respond 54% more quickly and have 20% less impact on system boot time.

Besides reducing system resources, the developers have also focused on making the package less intrusive, seeking to eliminate requesters that pester users for decisions they may not be qualified to make.

In Dublin, software architect Shane Pereira explained that, when confronted by a firewall pop-up, "most home users are unable to make the right decision. A truly effective firewall must make decisions automatically without prompting the user."

Enhanced detection

In addition to usability enhancements, Norton Internet Security 2008 also aims to increase the efficacy of its detection routines by using behavioural analysis to identify malicious code, even in the absence of a signature. This technology lies at the heart of the new Browser Defender module, which protects against browser exploits that take advantage of vulnerabilities in ActiveX, JavaScript or VBScript.

Other additions include new home network security features, and a secure central repository called "Norton Identity Safe" for personal information. This permits you to automatically send credentials to websites without exposing yourself to keyloggers. Parental controls will be available as an optional extension.

To help users make the most of the new home network features, the standard Norton Internet Security 2008 package will be licensed for installation on three computers, as opposed to a single computer as at present. Prices are yet to be confirmed, but should be in line with current products. Look out for a full PC Pro review in the near future.

VampDude
September 9th, 2007, 00:21
It looks similar to previous releases, maybe a little bit nicer. I used to use Norton, but I found that there were other Internet Security programs that do more. This version of Norton will most probably be bundled on my newest PC in a few months, then I will get to see if it's better than the previous 2 versions :p

JKKDARK
September 9th, 2007, 00:24
anti-virus.. so useless

DarthPaul
September 9th, 2007, 03:14
First Look?

I have this already.

Junixx
September 9th, 2007, 03:18
anti-virus.. so useless

Agreed...... But I bet you don't notice the improvement in code if you have Vista because the resources that were taken up by Norton are now owned by Vista, if you catch my drift

XioN980
September 9th, 2007, 08:19
Someone would have to just develop one virus for mac or linux and its essentially history, theres none there cos no one has bothered, cos Steve Jobs and Linux devs are so cocky it'd be almost funny if someone developed a Mac virus (i dont have that much of a problem with linux :)) They'd be defenseless and i'd love it :D

S34MU5
September 9th, 2007, 19:59
Someone would have to just develop one virus for mac or linux and its essentially history, theres none there cos no one has bothered, cos Steve Jobs and Linux devs are so cocky it'd be almost funny if someone developed a Mac virus (i dont have that much of a problem with linux :)) They'd be defenseless and i'd love it :D

That wouldn't happen.

Ever.

Especially for Linux.
Why would hackers want to destroy there own?

Junixx
September 9th, 2007, 23:47
Eh?.... Theres already virus's for linux and macs, but they're so rare that they may not even exist now, there was like 4 for linux and 1 for mac... I think..

Accordion
September 10th, 2007, 01:06
Eh?.... Theres already virus's for linux and macs, but they're so rare that they may not even exist now, there was like 4 for linux and 1 for mac... I think..

there have been many viruses for mac os… and a security update is released within a week of it being known. The only serious holes in Mac OS are found by security teams.

VampDude
September 10th, 2007, 01:40
The only serious holes in Mac OS are found by security teams.

Which then are patched as soon as possible, making mac virus-FREE unlike with Windows.

Junixx
September 10th, 2007, 04:53
there have been many viruses for mac os… and a security update is released within a week of it being known. The only serious holes in Mac OS are found by security teams.

Oh Ok well I don't keep up with all the virus's on Mac's or linux really because of said reason ;)